Sophmore-Am I on the right track?

<p>I am from Long Island, NY and want to attend Miami as a buisness major. My school doesn't go by GPA's...they use percentages. My percentages for my freshman and Sophmore year were:</p>

<p>Freshman-89%
Sophmore-88%...in the 4th quarter now and am getting that or even better.</p>

<p>My Regents grades were:</p>

<p>Math-89
Earth Science-90
Im taking Living Enviroment (expecting 85+), Global (expecting 90+), and Spanish (expecting 80+)</p>

<p>Next Year I am taking Sports Marketing/Management College Credit (I want to be a sports agent).</p>

<p>Other info that I'm not sure is relevant: I'm Jewish, I play 3 sports (Soccer, Ice Hockey, Baseball). </p>

<p>All help is appriciated, thank you.</p>

<p>Also, my parents are self employed...I don't know if that makes a difference.</p>

<p>My son (another LI Jew) will be a freshman in Sept 2007- GO CANES!!
Seems like a great place for Sports Marketing and you may have a chance to do that at UM. They seem to work for the kids. (Really any school with your major and big time sports teams will be good for you.</p>

<p>You got me interested so I googled and finally found a converter on princetonreview.com. I cut and pasted for you:</p>

<p>GPA Conversion Chart:
4.0 95-100 A
3.9 94 A
3.8 93 A
3.7 92 A
3.6 91 A
3.5 90 A
3.4 89 B
3.3 88 B
3.2 87 B
3.1 86 B
3.0 85 B
2.9 84 B
2.8 83 B
2.7 82 B
2.6 81 B
2.5 80 B
2.4 79 C
2.3 78 C
2.2 77 C
2.1 76 C
2.0 75 C
1.9 74 C
1.8 73 C
1.7 72 C
1.6 71 C
1.5 70 C</p>

<p>Seems to me that you have a good GPA. Keep up the good work. Check out this CC UM thread somewhere to look for acceptance stats or start you own thread and see what you get. You can always call the admissions office but I think you'll be fine if the Princeton review converter is accurate and if the school really uses something like it. Ask your guidance counselor or office for their "school report" that they send to each school. The grading information and conversion may be part of it. If not, I'd try and get official copies to send. Certainly, I'm no expert but I think it's worth a call to any school you are interested in. I know Commack and I believe Harborfields also grades in % and none of my friends have reported any problems getting into schools.</p>

<p>UM is great with merit scholarship money so continue to do well and you just may have some too. It's on their website so you can get that information there. (I have a sophomore too so who knows....maybe you'll both be at UM in a few years!)</p>

<p>Thanks for the help...with UM's great school, awsome football team, and beautiful surroundings, I really think it is the place for me. Since I am a resident of a village of Babylon (I'm assuming you know the town) I go to a private beach, just for people from Babylon. Therefore, I didn't want to go somewhere that I couldn't hang out at the beach...it seems like a perfect fit for me.</p>

<p>u have a descent chance if u write a great essay and send in great letters of reference. SAT scores in ur case are gonna be important. their average weighted gpa is 4.2 however it really boils down to a 3.8. While ur gpa is not bad for UM its still not above average and in that case your SAT scores should be good. i guessing a 1200 would be ideal in ur scenario.</p>

<p>Just found this online...I want to major in business so this is the correct information. Based on this...how are my chances?SAT Scores for full-time </p>

<p>entering business students:
Average 1258<br>
Median<br>
Range (Middle 80%) From 1180 to 1350<br>
Minimum SAT Score 1000 </p>

<p>ACT Scores for full-time entering business students:
Average 27.7<br>
Median<br>
Range (Middle 80%) From 26 to 30<br>
Minimum ACT Score 24 </p>

<p>Minimum High School GPA 3.30<br>
Does the school require an entrance exam? No </p>

<p>Student Age (years):<br>
Average 18<br>
Median 17</p>

<p>hmm really? a 3.3 minimum?
Where is that? can u provide a URL link? I tried searching for it but didnt find it.
anyways assuming this is the case:
It depends on what u get on ur SAT scores. ur 3.4-3.5 would go well with a 1200/1800 on the SAT. Below that u might find trouble. I dont know how hard it will be 2 years from now. Last year they accepted 48% of the applicants, this year they accepted 40% and well it could be lower or higher in the upcoming years. who knows. Remember having a gpa at or close to the 3.3, is merely being minimum. therefore u might wanna have ur SAt scores well within the range to make u look strong. </p>

<p>Finally, its great that u show so much interest for UM as a sophmore. But seriously its hard to give u chances at such an early time. wait till the end of junior year so u can get a more clear picture of urself in terms of gpa and SAT scores.</p>

<p>I think UM is going to re-calculate your GPA. I have around a 3.3ish maybe a lil less like a 3.289 or something but I have never taken a non honors class (unless it was required to graduate.) My schedule with my AP's and all honors has to be harder then people in majority of regular classes.</p>

<p>I think you need a minimum of a 3.3 on UM's scale after they recalculate your GPA.</p>

<p>UM does not recalculate gpa at all. I remember that from when I applied in December. They specifically told me in a conference at my school that they do NOT recalculate gpa. Even if it comes in percentages.
several reasons:
- The GPA is not as big a factor for them as we may think. Grades are a huge factor but not the little decimal number in ur transcript. when looking at ur transcript, what they look at strongly are ur classes u took, and if u scored mostly B+'s and A's in them. They do also look at ur class rank. they want students who rank at least in the top 25%.
At the end they will look at ur gpa if ur school submits them which about 90% do. As long as its pretty descent, 3.3 and above u should be fine. dosnt mean if its lower u dont have a chance, just below that it will raise an eye brow and might negatively affect u as 80% of the applicants have gpa's above 3.75.
Eitherway, ur overall gpa wont really matter as much if its sorta low like a 3.3 cause they do take into account certain school do not weigh the gpas if u took Honors etc.. while others do. some use a plus/minus system while others dont, so they take ur gpa and severely scrutinize it.
a 4.0 with easy courses will not look good while a 3.3 with the hardest courses in ur school will look good.
i hope u understand. but bottom line is at least up to this years applicants, they have not recalculated gpa's.</p>