Sororities

<p>Hi guys,
So I’m going to Bama next year and I hope to rush, but due to medical issues in my freshman year, my gpa is a 2.6. I’m not trying to get into a super competitive sorority, I’m open to anything. But what should I do to make sure that these sororities don’t just skip over me? I’m involved in Rotary and basically every extracurricular out there. Any advice?</p>

<p>Are you a Freshman in college at a different school?</p>

<p>No, I’m starting at UA in the fall. I meant my freshman year of high school. Whoops!</p>

<p>Unfortunately recruitment at Alabama is quite competitive. Last year about 1600 girls went through and appx 1200 received bids. The houses have to make cuts, some of them quite large and so one of the criteria they use is GPA. When asking my daughter who is in a sorority there about your situation she said frankly that you would most likely be cut by all of the houses after the first round of parties. I know that the circumstances were medical but with so many girls going through it is almost impossible for each sorority to look at each special circumstance individually. She suggested you look into Delta Gamma which will be colonizing at UA after recruitment concludes…there might be a DG alum who can speak to this.</p>

<p>I have a cousin who went through rush in fall '09. She was a legacy & had all the right rec’s but had a 2.8 gpa, albeit from a very rigorous high school. She did not get a bid.</p>

<p>She worked hard in school and had a 3.3 gpa for the fall semester. She received a bid in the spring and is now an initiated active.</p>

<p>Get you grades over a 3.0 and there might be a spring bid (although not many sororities have spring pledge classes) for you. If not spring, you would probably get a bid the following fall.</p>

<p>As a DG alumna, I am certain that Delta Gamma will be looking for the same high caliber girls as the existing sororities at Alabama. I agree with ahpimommy that grades can be a first round cut. My daughter rushed last year too, and would echo our sentiments…it’s a tough process. Most girls find their home, many will get their first choice. But unfortunately several hundred will go bidless.</p>

<p>I have a DG sister that was on the expansion team years ago. She said nothing will be left to chance in choosing the members… I expect a very well chosen colony of girls, including high gpa. I’m very excited to see DG return to UA, but I would not count on them to take the girls who get dropped by the other houses for grades during formal rush.</p>

<p>I have also heard that girls are planning to transfer to or attend UA because DG is colonizing. Should be another record setting year for recruitment.</p>

<p>On another note… UA is tearing down some old dorms to build 4 new sorority houses at the end of Magnolia drive. DG, DDD, AGD, and ADPi are all building multi-million dollar houses that will be ready the fall of 2012.</p>

<p>Maybe you could go to UA and not go through recruitment freshman year… work hard and get a 3.0 or above, get involved in some organizations on campus andthen go through sophomore year. It’s harder as a sophomore but not unattainable. Out of a pledge class of over 80 girls my daughter had 4 sophomores. Just a thought.</p>

<p>I was just wondering this the other day. My daughter is from Rhode Island and had a 2.7 GPA, but also suffered a thyroid disease freshman year of high school, and it’s a miracle she even passed the year. Now she wants to rush, and she has been looking up facts about different sororities trying to figure out who would let someone so far north into the house with that GPA. A local girl who goes to Bama said that Alpha Phi or Gamma Phi Beta might be a better bet. I’m not saying that they are not as good as other houses, just that there house average GPA is lower. What do you ladies think of that? Seeing as a few of you have girls in the system. Thank you!</p>

<p>i think all the sororities have pretty high GPAs. and even the lower ones are not particularly low.</p>

<p>i would say go ahead and go thru rush and see. just go in knowing that you may not get what you wish for. if that will be an ok outcome, then do it. if not, then don’t.</p>

<p>When we attended Pahellenic Preview they stressed “at least” a 3.0 GPA. I am not aware that any of the sororities that take a lower GPA. When referring to a house average GPA that is the composite of the initiated members of that house and does relate to the PNMs that are going through recruitment. I know it’s hard and disappointing. As suggested above, you can have your daughter go through recruitment knowing that it is a very real possibility that she will not receive a bid. Alabama is a very competitive school when it comes to recruitment. They have had record numbers of girls go through the past several years. The houses are huge (over 200 girls) and even with pledge classes of 80 to 90 girls unfortunately there are still girls who do not receive bids. I am not saying the process is perfect but they have to use some criteria and so grades and recommendations come into play.</p>

<p>Thanks for the quick answers, she is more interested in playing soccer, so I think she is almost indifferent about it. We’ll see how it goes, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t feeding into something that she had no chance at.</p>