Sorority help

<p>Hi, all! I’m currently a senior in high school and will be attending the University of Alabama in the fall (Roll Tide!) I’m extremely excited and am looking forward to making new friends and having the full college experience! This includes hopefully joining a sorority. I know the basics, but would love more information regarding the sororities at UA. Are they as cut throat as I’ve heard? I am very involved in school and hold leadership positions in several clubs, including being an editor for the school newspaper. I have done extensive volunteer work and have taken all AP/honors classes and maintained a good GPA (3.6). I’m not sure what sororities look for, but based on this, do I even have a chance? I know that Greek life is a huge deal at UA and I want to make the best first impression I can on my future sisters!</p>

<p>Welcome! (Sorry, I don’t know very much about the sorority process.) Just thought I would welcome you and give you a link. Many of the moms on this board can answer your sorority questions. I am sure they will be along soon. Probably after tonight’s football game. Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Here’s a link to peruse:
<a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1562970-sorority-preview-weekend-2014-a.html?highlight=sorority[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1562970-sorority-preview-weekend-2014-a.html?highlight=sorority&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>do a search in this forum. this has been covered many, many times.</p>

<p>I’ll send a note to Ahpimommy to post here for you.</p>

<p>She has all the insider info.</p>

<p>Grades and recs are extremely important, so make sure you keep that GPA as high as you can. Start asking everyone you know if they are Greek and if they’d write a rec for you. Work on a social resume’ (Ahpimommy edited my D’s). Read Sororitygirl101 blog for more details, dates, etc. Attend preview with your mom (or dad) if you can as it’s full of great info. If you are attending preview, try to work in a Friday visit with your department head, too!<br>
DD wore uniforms for the last 7 years, so her wardrobe was lacking. If you are in the same boat, take a look at Greek Chic from last year to see the dresses/shorts worn during Rush (sorry…recruitment. Hard habit to break.) After Rush, you’re going to be wearing tempos and t’s everyday. :slight_smile:
My best advice is to RELAX and be yourself. You will land wherever you are meant to be. Best of luck and keep us posted!</p>

<p>redhead924…Roll Tide and welcome to Alabama. I know you will LOVE it.
In answer to your questions about sorority recruitment, no I would not say it’s cut throat. You will hear that recruitment at Alabama is “competitive”. Each year the numbers increase and the pledge classes grow larger. The “largeness” of it all makes it competitive in that if you do not get recommendations for the sororities then they do not have any idea that you are coming through. It can put you at a disadvantage. When sororities receive recs they are able to match pnms with members who have similar interests thus creating a connection. You will hear of girls who receive bids even though they did not have a rec for that particular house but I would encourage you to get at least 1 rec (2 -3 is better) for each sorority that is participating in formal recruitment.
The first step is to create a sorority resume. This is different that a normal resume that you would do for a job interview. It has very specific information that the alums who are writing your recs will need in order to fill out their rec form.<br>
Next you need to start looking for women who are alumnae of the sororities on the Alabama campus. Ask at school, you may find teachers who were sorority members. Ask your friends parents. Have your parents ask at work, ask at church…ask anyone and everyone you know. Ask friends to ask friends. If you are still missing recs then reach our to local alum groups in your area (you can google search to find them). Reach out to your local Alabama recruiter, many have Greek affiliations and know other recruiters who were sorority members. Check and see if there is an Alabama Alumni Association near you. You may find that there will be sorority alum members who are also members of this group.
You sound like a well rounded student…good GPA, EC’s, leadership positions, philanthropy. Honestly I think you’ll do fine.
If you are OOS and are able to go to Preview Weekend I would go. It’s not a big deal if you can’t but you will get to visit each sorority for a brief period of time. Panhellenic puts on a good program full of good info.
I write a blog called sororitygir101.com. Read about Alabama recruitment.
There are LOTS of moms on here that have great advice. You can also go to the NPC website and read The Sorority Life.<br>
My best advice is to go into the process with an open mind. You will hear the words “Maximize your options” a lot. That means to attend all of the parties you are invited to, write all of the houses down and trust the process…it really does work. I am happy to help if you need/want help. I sent you a pm.</p>

<p>Thank you so much! :)</p>

<p>Do you happen to know anyone at UA in a sorority? If so, contact them and ask to be put on their mailing list of potential PNM’s. I know D’s house is already making a mailing list. They have asked the girls if they know any hs seniors going to UA next year that may be interested in going thru rush. They plan to have a tea or such over the holidays and will invite the girls from those areas that may be interested. Good way to get a better understanding from all about sorority life at UA. </p>

<p>Plan to attend Preview Weekend if at all possible. </p>

<p>Roll Tide</p>

<p>Sadly, I don’t know anyone who attends UA in a sorority. However, I do plan on attending Preview Weekend!</p>

<p>What large city is nearest to you? Some here may be able to connect you.</p>

<p>I live about 20 minutes from Nashville.</p>

<p>I’m wondering just how much input national board members of sororities have on recruitment? Sure all houses will be going ‘by the book’ after the issues last year.</p>

<p>BamaNewMom…Since Alabama is such a LARGE recruitment it is not unusual to national officers on campus in their respective houses during the process. I work closely with my sorority’s national organization. We are in contact with our chapter at Alabama constantly during the year and are at Alabama the whole week of recruitment. We are already starting to get ready for recruitment 2014. I am unable to address or talk about what happened this past fall but I know as far as my sorority was concerned nationals were onsite the whole week of recruitment. The women involved in the situation earlier this year were not nationally affiliated officers but were local chapter advisers and volunteers. I am very optimistic about recruitment next fall.</p>

<p>Could a PNM potentially be ‘black listed’ due to a perceived slight against a family friend of a national board member? If so, would the board member have the power to ‘black list’ the PNM from all houses? </p>

<p>Probably nothing to worry about but just curious how far the reach is. And if they would go to those measures. The (non) incident was a few years ago.</p>

<p>I have never heard of anyone being “black listed” nor have I ever heard that term used in relationship to sorority recruitment at Alabama or anywhere else. There have been instances where girls were not invited back to the next round because of inappropriate items found through social media. A warning to potential pnms…make sure all of your social media is squeaky clean.</p>

<p>Thank you for your response! I wasn’t in a sorority in college so this is all new to me. I’m sure I am worried about nothing. </p>

<p>Social media is squeaky clean - we’ve stressed this from day one of our children having their Facebook/Twitter/Instagram. I Google each of them regularly, just to stay safe.</p>

<p>My daughter worked hard getting a ton of recs but her friend did not have a single rec. They both got into a sorority and they are both enjoying it very much. They were great students and had great resumes.</p>

<p>What goes on a social resume?</p>

<p>The usual stuff, but you also add your parents’ names, where they went to college and what Greek groups they were in, if any, as well as any female relatives who were in Greek groups, what the group is and where the chapter is located, and the relation. Such as: Jane Doe, sister, Alpha Alpha Alpha, Big State University; Bay Shell, aunt, Beta Beta Beta, Hometown College.</p>

<p>Looking at the info you have given. You will not have any problems getting into a sorority. I rushed here and its really not the big hype that everyone makes it out to be. It is the biggest rush though but that doesn’t really mean anything. I have plenty of friends who have gotten into sororities with a gpa of 2.3. It just depends on the sorority. Also… KEEP AN OPEN MIND! DONT DO RESEARCH ON SORORITIES BEFORE RUSH! You will alter your decision. Every girl I know that already went into rush knowing what house they wanted to be in screwed themselves over. Go with your gut and where you feel you fit. Do go based on what the girls look or act like or what they are wearing.</p>