Sorority info

<p>I am thinking about transferring here next fall and I was wondering about sorority affiliation. I am already initiated into a sorority at another school and I would like to affiliate but how exactly do they go about that at UA?</p>

<p>I’m assuming your chapter is at Alabama. I am not from Alabama but my daughter may be going there next year so I am learning so much about their huge recruitment. I will tell you how it worked at my school in Michigan. We met with the transferred Alpha Gam a few times informally to get to know her. We voted as a chapter if we wanted her to be part of our chapter. We had her wait until formal recruitment was over, as gaining one person prior to the end of formal recruitment may hurt us, when it is allowed to add a transferred sister and go above chapter total after formal recruitment. I hope this helps, I’m sure our resident Sorority Goddess Aphimommy will give you the read deal for Bama!! Good luck to you!!</p>

<p>You will need to contact your National organization and explain what you are wanting to do. Each campus and sorority is different on how they handle transfers. I know how my sorority at Bama handles transfers but that may not be the case for the sorority you are affiliated with. I am sure when you talk to nationals that they will put you in touch with the correct people. You might also call Kat Gillan in the office of Greek Affairs 205.348.2693. She is the Director of Greek affairs and would most likely be able to assist you as well. Good luck! Sorority life at Alabama is amazing…I am sure you would love it!</p>

<p>Not all chapters at UA automatically accept transfers. My own simply does not affiliate transfers (I wish they did!). They will welcome the sister and invite her to visit, but they don’t affiliate. Some do.
I always suggest that any transfer sister wait a semester. Get to know the on-campus chapter. They could have a totally different personality from your own chapter. Should you affiliate and are unhappy, your only recourse could be to resign from your sorority (this will vary - find out for sure from your sorority’s headquarters).</p>