Sorority Life at UM

<p>How hard is it to get into a sorority? Do you have to know people/have connections? Also, what is sorority life like at UM, is it a big deal like other florida schools? Any info would be great :)</p>

<p>Greek life can greatly add to your experience at the U. However, it is different from Greek life at other Florida schools. At FSU and UF, sororities have houses. At UMiami, they are housed in a Panhellenic building where they have suites. There are 7 sororities (unless something as changed recently). Recruitment is not as competitive as FSU or some of the southern schools in the SEC. Recruitment is done in January. If you are an incoming freshman, this will give you a chance to become familiar with each sorority. Hopefully you will meet members of the various sororities and get a feel for where you would feel most comfortable. Just remember, the sisters of each sorority are also getting to know you during that fall semester- so always conduct yourself accordingly. Good luck!</p>

<p>Is this including Black sororities too? Or do they Dont get housing?</p>

<p>All sororities and fraternites have a suite in the Panhellinic building, including that Black sororities and frats. You can’t rush at UM till second semester, and to rush you apply to come to school about a week early before second semester starts and then have a week of rush. If you want to get into a sorority, then you will, just maybe not the one you want. Some are easier to get into than others. No Sorority has housing at UM because they made some sort of deal back when they were creating the frat houses, and now the only way they would ever get houses is if all the sororities were able to get them at the same time so it’s highly doubtful that will ever happen. I have a bunch of friends involved in Greek Life so if you have any other questions I can probably answer them for you.</p>

<p>Hey shocker, do you know anyone in the Sigma Phi Epsilon frat? I’m planning on applying for a scholarship through them, and I wasn’t intending on rushing, but the info that I’ve read online about them might change my mind. Do you know anything about it?</p>

<p>@shocker4256 What are the more competitive sororities to get in to? I am going to be a transfer student, will that weaken my chance of getting in to any? Also, what do the sororities look for when they pick the girls, should we have rec letters? Do the sororities look at who has the higher gpa when selecting girls? Thankss</p>

<p>@Marinebio I have a couple of friends who joined Sigep and they really enjoy it. Unless you are deadset on not rushing, I would at least go out for the rush events. All my friends love it, but rushing a frat is really all about how well you mesh in with the guys there. So think about it, go out for rush events, even if you don’t join a frat you still get to go to some cool events like barbecues and one frat did laser-tag last year.</p>

<p>@Collegegurl I’m not entirely sure but if I had to hazard a guess I’d say that Zeta, SDT and DG are the most active / probably the hardest to get into based on what I’ve heard. Being a transfer student doesn’t matter. The major things they look at are how you mesh with the other girls in the sorority, and your gpa (certain sororities have very high GPA’s they try and keep high). I am 99% sure that they do not require any sort of rec letter from anyone. It’s a social sorority, they’re more interested that you mesh than anything else</p>

<p>@shocker4256 thanks for all the info! :)</p>

<p>About housing for Greek organizations, shocker seems to be a little misinformed. Not all fraternities and sororities have suites. All of the sororities that are non-ethnic have suites (the ones part of the Pan-Hellenic Council). None of the black/latin/indian fraternities OR sororities have suites. I believe they are adding two suites next year, one for the ethnic fraternites and sororites.</p>

<p>Also remember that the suites are not housing, they are a gathering place for the groups.</p>