Sorority Preview Weekend 2014

<p>I’m trying to figure out what nights we’d need reservations for. Would Friday and Saturday nights be good enough?</p>

<p>Friday and Saturday are really all you need.</p>

<p>Friday and Saturday for sure! Arrive early enough on Friday for registration and then dinner (or the moms/PNM’s info dinner with ahpimommy that a good incoming mom could arrange). DD and I stayed until Monday and had a quick meeting on Monday morning with her advisor. OH! On Friday last year there was a info session with the Pre Med advisor. DD and I arrived early Friday morning and attended that, VERY informative! We took Sunday to check things out around town. </p>

<p>Yes, at the first hint of when certain dates are you need to book your lodging. I booked move in for next year already as well as move out for May. Yes, we also already signed an application for off campus housing next year. </p>

<p>No, you do not HAVE to attend. Is it helpful? YES!!! The parent info session held while the girls did their house rounds was very informative. Did the PNM’s get a good first glimpse of a mini rush? YES! Although I’m sure most will tell you that Preview is a piece of cake compared to rush at Alabama. We are OOS and could not make the Ice Water Teas last year. Did it hurt DD? NO! Did attending Preview help her receive a bid? Not really.</p>

<p>Due to a track meet we were not able to come to this event AND we are OOS.
I think if we had that my daughter might not have gone through rush. We were able to take a house tour on our visit to UA and spent time with the girl there that told us all about Greek life and some if what to expect. Also we had lunch with a student liaison that was Greek. I would recommend if you are out of state to save your money and take that $$ and start buying a weeks worth of dresses, shoes, accessories :-)!!
This past Bama Bound they even offered a sorority information session.</p>

<p>My daughter definitely wants to rush in the fall but we will not be able to attend preview weekend due to a high school conflict. I appreciate all of you offering to fill us in on anything we need to know :). Will take the advice and start putting that $ saved towards dresses, etc.</p>

<p>Start looking now at the sale racks for the summer dresses on sale and homecoming dresses. Go classic and timeless. For Rush you do not need over the top. Remember the weather, August. Warm, rain, humid, hot. Cool fabrics work great! You do not have to spend a fortune. One of the dresses my D wore for Rush was from Target, on the sale rack from the year before. You can probably find summer Lily Pulitzer dresses on sale now as well at a great price. Think summer afternoon wedding. </p>

<p>As for the info gained by attending Preview: the best was from the housing and meals departments for us parents. For the PNM’s: just getting a glimpse of the houses. And it was a very sliver of a small glimpse! They did a fashion show of sorts for the PNM’s. Which again, look on Greek Chic and get some ideas. But, going classic & timeless with the “summer afternoon wedding” thought when buying dresses you will be fine. As for shorts a lot of girls wore the lace shorts that were very popular. A cute top and cute sandals and you were good to go. </p>

<p>Get those recs! That is the most important thing to do. Start asking every single person you know if they were in a sorority, their mothers, grandmother, friends, etc. Post it on Facebook that you are needing recs if anyone was in a sorority. I was surprised from people that I’ve known for years that were in sororities that never mentioned it. Have your D ask all of their teachers, former and current, guidance counselors, etc.</p>

<p>Thank you, TxNewCollegeMom! My daughter is a huge Lilly fan so she’s already found a couple of their summer dresses on sale :). We’ve already started asking around about the recs as well. Looking forward to learning more and being able to share some tips as we learn more as well!</p>

<p>Thanks for all the great information! I’ve received a few PMs but don’t have enough posts to PM a reply yet. So glad we found these boards. :)</p>

<p>Carcode, fire away with questions on seperate posts till you get to the magic 15 posts mark ;)</p>

<p>Went to book a hotel room for Friday night and the first two places I called were sold out! The third had only 5 rooms left so I booked immediately.</p>

<p>TxNewCollegeMom - lol - I’ll be making lots of separate posts here :)</p>

<p>I’ve booked rooms for what I believe are move in week and parents weekend 2014. Would love to hear from some of you regarding your favorite places to stay. We were at the Hotel Capstone for our first visit - ok, but thinking we can find a couple of good alternatives.</p>

<p>Booked Hampton Inn for move in - the desk clerk at the Capstone said this is a good alternative when they are booked. Closest I could get to campus for parents weekend was the La Quinta. Comments? :)</p>

<p>When is Parent’s Weekend Carcode2001?</p>

<p>I’m <em>guessing</em> parents weekend will be September 19-21. This is based on it being the same weekend this year. Any other input? :)</p>

<p>Parents weekend is already pretty much sold out for next year.<br>
You have to really stay on your toes and book everything ahead</p>

<p>The Hampton on Harper Lee is my favorite. The Capstone is nice. I’m super close to Hilton Diamond status. Tempted to book a weekend or two here at home just to get there.</p>

<p>Glad to hear the Hampton is good! Have that booked for move-in (hopefully the weekend of August 8th) but it was already booked for September.</p>

<p>Is everybody else thinking parents weekend will be September 19-21?</p>

<p>There is a 0.0000000001% chance that Family Weekend will be the Florida game. </p>

<p>Much more likely is that Family Weekend will be the following weekend against a yet to be scheduled non-conference team.</p>

<p>Edited - this is just my theory based on past history, not based in fact</p>

<p>I’m going to have to join all of the hotel reward programs, lol. And just realized the Hampton Inn is part of Hilton HHonors :)</p>

<p>Just found and bookmarked the 2014 football schedule:
[Alabama</a> and SEC Announce 2014 Football Schedule - ROLLTIDE.COM - University of Alabama Official Athletic Site](<a href=“http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082113aac.html]Alabama”>http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082113aac.html)</p>