Sorority question?

<p>Hi. I was reading the Panhellenic Preview registration and it said how it is recommended to have a 3.0. I have a 2.9 so i was wondering if i would get cut.</p>

<p>Also, is it a must to be in a sorority at UA?</p>

<p>Is the 2.9 going to be your final transcript grade or is there a possibility that you could raise it to a 3.0? I can not tell you that you won’t get cut from some houses with a 2.9, sororities at Alabama take grades quite seriously. As a pledge you will have required study hours and there will be social probation if you do not keep your grade point average above a certain level. Each sorority has its own policy when it comes to grade point average. I would suggest you look on their individual websites for their minimum grade point required. You can also look at their national website as well.
Only you can answer the question about “is it a must to in a sorority at UA”?
Why are you attending Bama and what are you looking to get out of the college experience? I have 3 daughters…two of them are Greek and one is not. My oldest went to an Ivy and she had no interest in the whole Greek experience. She was active and busy her 4 years of college, made life long friends and graduated with a degree that has lead her to a very successful career. My second daughter wanted to be in a sorority from the time she was small. She had heard me tell stories about my days in the house and she knew that is what she wanted. She pledged, was active in her house and occupied several exec positions and also was active on her university campus as a liaison from Greek life to the university. Now that she has graduated and is working and living away from home she continues to be involved in her sorority’s alumni organization. My youngest also knew she wanted to be Greek. She is a freshman at UA and loves her sorority and the activities she is involved in. We talked at Christmas when she was home about what would have happened if she had not received a bid and she said she most likely would have come home and gone to our local state college, being in a sorority was an important part of what she wanted from her college experience at UA.
I read recently that 28% of the women who attend UA are Greek affiliated and although that does not seem like a lot I know that it is a very active part of campus life. Being in a sorority affords you life long friends, a great networking system, a chance to give back to others through volunteering and philanthropy projects, the ability to participate in intramural activities (you can do this being non-Greek as well) and a variety of other social opportunities. I loved being Greek (I did not go to UA) and am still active in my alumni association, helping young women go through the recruitment process and well as participating in local philanthropy projects and working with local chapters where I live.
It is also time consuming…during Homecoming week my daughter spent many many hours at the house working on house decs, playing on sports teams (she played on the intramural football team and participated in all of the team sports homecoming week), working on the float, pomping…ect. In addition she was required to attend certain Homecoming events…it was fun but exhausting and she wouldn’t trade the memories for anything in the world.
So if that interests you then I would encourage you to attend Preview Day the 26th of March and check out sorority life at the Capstone.
I also want you to know that there many many opportunities for you to get involved with the University that are not Greek affiliated. Both in the Fall and in the Spring the University hosts what is called “Get on Board Day”. At this even every club and organization will have tables set up with information about how to get involved…the opportunities are endless! We know several girls who for one reason or another are not in a sorority at UA. They have tons of friends both Greek and Independent and are very active socially as well as involved in a variety of clubs and groups on campus.
So…the answer is really up to you and what you are looking for at UA.
Good luck!
Roll Tide!</p>

<p>In Fall 2010, about 1500 girls started recruitment. According to the Panhellenic rush booklet, minimum GPA for each CHAPTER was between 3.0 and 3.3</p>

<p>In the first two days, when all 1500 girls visit all the chapters, the actives have to decide who they want to invite back. The methodology requires that different houses must cut different numbers of girls depending on past return rates (e.g. if a ‘popular’ chapter has had most girls ranking it number one over the past 3 years they will be cutting the largest number of rushes and vice versa. This is done as recruitment exists to place as many girls as possible in each house). </p>

<p>The point I am making is that at the end of two very long days meeting 1500 girls, each chapter has to cut a certain number. Easiest way to do this is to start by cutting all those without recomendations and all those who do not meet the chapter’s minimum grade requirement. </p>

<p>Therefore, I would recommend that you get that GPA up asap. You can always rush, but I would do so expecting very heavy cuts in the first couple of rounds.</p>

<p>70% of the school are not Greek. There is a TON to do that does not involve being in a sorority: religious orgs, sports, community service, music groups, etc etc The only thing that you may struggle with is SGA where the Greeks organise their members into block voting for their candidates…</p>

<p>here is the rush booklet from this fall</p>

<p>[Sorority</a> Recruitment Manual 2010](<a href=“http://issuu.com/uapanhellenicassociation/docs/final_recruitment_manual]Sorority”>Sorority Recruitment Manual 2010 by Megan Brantley - Issuu)</p>