Sorority racism

<p>I’m a little worried about racism on campus. While I’m not black, I am biracial and have read articles about the white only sororities and the rare few black or mixed women who have been accepted. I want to be active in Greek life, but don’t want this to hinder me. What do you think? Are the stereotypes true? Are many Asian American, Indian American, or biracial students in sororities?</p>

<p>When I was at Bid Day I did see asian and hispanic girls that were in the mix of things.</p>

<p>This is probably the only big thing that bothers me about Bama. I don’t know about the sororities, but I hear the frats are extremely segregated. Don’t get me started.</p>

<p>My son tells me about a friend who almost made it into a frat until they found out he was Cuban. (He “looks white” and has an Anglo-sounding name.)</p>

<p>Yes, this bothers me. I can’t pretend it doesn’t. I love everything about Alabama except this.</p>

<p>Sad thing is, it is pretty much the “norm” at most schools in the greek community no matter where in the country. I have sadly heard that even the black sororities kind of diss any girl that is black that goes out to rush for the non black sororities, at other schools. Not sure about Bama on that one.</p>

<p>Greek life is generally segregated across the entire country, and world. It is not just contained to Alabama, or the Southeast. Walk into any country club and it will not be very diverse…</p>

<p>As to the OP, the Alabama campus is very welcoming and diverse. You will probably have a more difficult time getting into a traditionally “caucasian” sorority than others. Their are also sororities that only let in African Americans too. I agree this is an ugly problem, but it is like this all throughout the country. </p>

<p>Here is a link to a fraternity composite from the University of Connecticut in year 2010. As you can see, this isn’t a unique problem at UA, but everywhere. It really bothers me that people perpetuate this idea that greek life is extremely segregated at UA in a way that UA is still racist like the George Wallace schoolhouse stand days. It just paints a negative image of the Capstone, when you should be using a broader brush and looking at greek organizations in general. That is a hard thing to hear about your son’s friend LadyDianeski, but please don’t be ignorant to the matter and put UA in an unjustified negative light…</p>

<p><a href=“http://alphadeltaphict.com/wp-content/gallery/composites/composite2.jpg[/url]”>http://alphadeltaphict.com/wp-content/gallery/composites/composite2.jpg&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>I don’t know what fraternity your son is in but my son is in one of the top fraternities on campus and they have at least one kid who is a Cuban-American from Fort Lauderdale. He looks Hispanic and has a very Hispanic name. That is not an issue, at least in most fraternities. There are no blacks in any of the better fraternities at present time.</p>

<p>^…that’s disconcerting.</p>

<p>^^ It’s only disconcerting when you don’t know the whole picture.</p>

<p>Instead of rehashing all of this, someone might link some of the other threads that better explain all of this.</p>

<p>There are students of color (Asian, Hispanic, AE) in “white Houses.” The black students overwhelmingly PREFER to pledge the Black Houses, because of their deep traditions and strong networking ties. This isn’t just true at Bama, it’s true on many campuses. The efforts to more integrate the Houses gets the Alums of the Black Houses upset since they think it would hurt their Houses in the long run.</p>

<p>OP, my daughter (h.s. senior) is not interested in Greek life. But among the schools we toured, Cornell stood out as a place where diversity mostly extended to the very strong Greek presence. But not completely, as per this article:
[Summit</a> examines state of Greek life on campus | Cornell Chronicle](<a href=“http://news.cornell.edu/stories/2013/02/summit-examines-state-greek-life-campus]Summit”>Summit examines state of Greek life on campus | Cornell Chronicle)</p>

<p>Of course Cornell isn’t for everyone, and extremely selective (a pretty extreme reach for my kid!). But there must be other colleges and universities with a more diverse Greek presence.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>mom2collegekids, I am curious how you know this. It would seem to limit the living and social choices of a black student who wants a more diverse environment. White students too!</p>

<p>

This shows a picture of one frat from one year at UConn … this is far from a representative of the whole school or the on-going composition. On one of the threads on UA sorority rush one Mom posted the rushing guide (my term not the official term) so show the guidelines for the rush and the cloths the young women typically wear. This guide had pictures of all the sororities. This covers a couple thousand women or more … from the pictures it appears all the sororities are all white except one sorority which appeared to have one African american and one Asian (in other words on a racially diverse campus of the 2000+ women in sororities 2 were women of color). As someone who lives in a diverse area the pictures were startling. Alabama does have African American frats and sororities so everyone has Greek options. From what I have read and seen this split has existed at Alabama for years.</p>

<p>I went to a school in the northeast with a heavy Greek presence (and less African Americans on campus) and our Greek racial make-up was much more diverse. I know when I was there there was on-going initiative to increase the African American presence in the frats and they were making slow progress. </p>

<p>The Alabama crew on CC has done a great job selling the school. Like all schools there are pros and cons … and for me the lack of racial diversity of the sororities would be a negative.</p>

<p>here’s one guide … this does NOT show all the women in sororities … but there is trend of whom is included in pictures … [ISSUU</a> - 2013 UA Greek Chic Recruitment Guide by Alabama Panhellenic Association](<a href=“http://issuu.com/alabamapanhellenic/docs/greek_chic_final]ISSUU”>University of Alabama Greek Chic 2013 by Alabama Panhellenic Association - Issuu). I’ll see if I can find the other guide.</p>

<p>I suppose, since Greek-life both involves rushing and self-selection, groups are bound to be homogenous. Now, if the entire campus was this racially similar, it’d be a deterrent for a lot of students.</p>

<p>I’m a pretty firm believer in the fact that if there is a problem that is ignored, it will continue to be a problem. In order to improve a situation you have to admit there is a problem, then work to change it.</p>

<p>‘Everyone else is doing it’ is not a defense. I can hear my S as a child saying that now, “It’s OK that I broke the rules, EVERYONE else was doing it too.” But since an Alpha Delta Phi composite was linked - I’ll throw out another [Home</a> | Alpha Delta Phi](<a href=“http://adphi.mit.edu/home]Home”>http://adphi.mit.edu/home), obviously segregation is not an issue of their national chapter.</p>

<p>It will take far longer than my life time for the Greek system to integrate. There IS a lot of self-segregation that does occur. Even back when I began college and had a biracial roommate invite me to a party at a traditionally African American Greek house, the level of self-segregation startled me. Being the only caucasian in attendance most of the night, everyone there was friendly and welcoming, but I still felt awkward and out of place.</p>

<p>I don’t believe there should be quotas and I don’t believe anyone should be forced to join a house that they don’t want to join - where they don’t feel comfortable simply for the sake of diversity. However there are instances where the issue is NOT self-segregation. Instances where African American girls wanted to join a traditionally white sorority, where they felt that is where they belonged, where they felt comfortable with the environment… the problem is when those girls are discouraged (by both sides), rejected, and harassed. </p>

<p>Although the stories are dated, Google ‘Melody Twilley’. There are some very moving stories available about her experience. And from what I’ve read, although that is now over a decade ago, not much has changed since those stories were written.</p>

<p><a href=“http://www.ivygateblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/sae-composite09.jpg[/url]”>http://www.ivygateblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/sae-composite09.jpg&lt;/a&gt;
<a href=“http://www.chiphicornell.org/127-chiphicor/images/CompositeHistory.jpg[/url]”>http://www.chiphicornell.org/127-chiphicor/images/CompositeHistory.jpg&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Google fraternity composites 3togo…It seems like Cornell is still pretty segregated as well from the picture. That fraternity has what, one African American? I’m sure that is representative of the percentage of African Americans attending Cornell. It is a national problem. I wasn’t saying it was something that Alabama should allow to happen because everyone else does it. I was trying to explain that people shouldn’t not attend Alabama because of the divides in the greek system, as this is prevalent at almost every university in the United States. Also, I think many of you don’t understand how expensive greek life is. Sororities often times cost around $4,000 a semester. Many African Americans come from socio economic backgrounds that can’t support another $32,000 for sorority dues over four years as well. Hence, country clubs aren’t that diverse either are they? I’m sure things will slowly change over the years as people have more equality now and African Americans will be getting the education to get good jobs so their children can afford to be involved in the greek organizations as well. </p>

<p>I hope the OP doesn’t miss out on a great opportunity to attend a great university for free because some of you talk about things out of your …</p>

<p>dixiedelight, just because there are segregated fraternities at other colleges doesn’t mean that there aren’t integrated fraternities and sororities as well.</p>

<p>*Quote:
The black students overwhelmingly PREFER to pledge the Black Houses, because of their deep traditions and strong networking ties.</p>

<p>==================
mom2collegekids, I am curious how you know this. It would seem to limit the living and social choices of a black student who wants a more diverse environment. White students too!*</p>

<p>While I agree with your thoughts, there are strong traditions and ties with the Black Houses. Students whose parents belongs to certain houses are often expected to join the same houses. </p>

<p>Prior efforts to more integrate the Houses has been met with very upset AA’s who believe that their houses will “disappear” or become less powerful/significant. </p>

<p>Those of us on the outside of the Black Houses probably don’t understand it, but this is not a situation of “sit in the back of the bus.” The Black Houses are strong and their traditions/ties/networking run deep. Their Alums are the most successful business owners and professionals in the region.</p>

<p>If you google image “fraternity composite” almost every, single, one is like the ones I linked. The proof is literally right there for all to see. A lot of you talk about how UA shouldn’t ignore this problem, when you all ignore the national problem yourselves. Thanks for explaining the logic of non absolutism to me though oldmom4896. I’m sure you were in a sorority when you attended school, and I’m sure your sorority was as diverse as the United Nations. I’m also sure it was very prestigious and expensive and connected you to many important people. If only Alabama would just listen to you guys and make something as expensive and prestigious as joining greek organizations as diverse as other prestigious groups around the world like congress, beverly hills, and forturne 500 CEO’s overnight. I guess the Capstone is still just trying to relive its glory days and the administration is too backwards to comprehend the value forcing the greek system to integrate would yield…You guys should send ol Jbo an email about this captivating idea. </p>

<p>I mean, seriously, the fact that there is a thread every couple days about “is The University of Alabama racist” is completely asinine to me. In short answer no, absolutely not, it is 2013, quit believing Hollywood stereotypes. If I ever go to Montana, I do not expect everyone to be like Longmire (even though that would be incredible). There is proof right in front of everyone’s face that prestigious greek organizations around the country are usually majority caucasian. Yet, you guys just won’t believe it. I don’t get it. You just have to convince yourselves its just a southern problem. I mean seriously, do you think there is a lot of racial diversity in Skull and Bones at Yale? Did it anger you guys that everyone was caucasian in the movie Animal House? I mean, it is just so outrageous that they didn’t portray greek organizations in their true, diverse color isn’t it? I could totally see Will Smith taking over Kevin Bacon’s role in that film.</p>

<p>For what it’s worth, I wasn’t in a sorority when I went to college, and my daughter (h.s. senior) is not interested in being in a sorority. I’ve been following College Confidential for a while now, and I would like you to document this:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Not what I’ve seen here.</p>

<p>I live in an extremely diverse neighborhood and my family is extremely diverse, as are my daughter’s friends. So I just don’t get the idea of joining a same-race sorority or fraternity and limiting my social contacts that way. Sorry if you find that offensive. [/end sarcasm]</p>

<p>This was what the creator of this thread asked:

</p>

<p>It would seem that this thread has answered her question.</p>

<p>The answer to her question is this: Generally, diverse greek organizations that are in the upper tier of prestige are nowhere to be found at most American Universities. Most universities have more diverse ones where you can meet friends and have a good time. They, however, aren’t usually going to be the ones that have huge houses and power. This is the true answer, not what these people believe in their la la, everything is perfect wallgreen, fantasy land. </p>

<p>There are way to many of these types of threads and they do occur frequently. Maybe every couple of days was an exaggeration. I would wager there is at least 1/week. I find your naivety offensive. Just because one joins an all African American or all caucasian fraternity or sorority, it doesn’t mean their going to only have those types of friends does it? That’s what your post implies. I glad you have educated me on your superior diverse way of living in your extremely diverse neighborhood and family. I don’t see where you got that I dislike diversity. I dislike stereotypes and irrational thought processes, both of which have been exemplified in this thread. I never argued in favor of having divided greek housing. I wish it wasn’t the case. I simply tried to erase this illusion that UA is the only school that is like this; when in fact almost every school is like this. I don’t want this young girl missing the opportunity of a lifetime because some people on a message board tell her things that they know nothing about.</p>