Sorority Recommendations

<p>^^MSUBAmom beat me to the post! I went ahead and registered DD today as well.</p>

<p>DD did as well. Won’t see her final transcript until end of May so we’ll upload then and plan to mail hard copies to all of the chapters. Ahpimommy…DD is taking a dual enrollment class and a summer class that’s listed on her social resume’. Should I (or when should I) update those to her GPA?</p>

<p>When are the grades available for them? If they are going to impact her GPA then I would update as soon as you get the grades…the final grade reports will go to the houses during work week (first week of August).</p>

<p>If local Panhellenic is writing some recs for DD and she doesn’t know who is doing it, how would it be possible to go about writing thank you notes? She included a “cover letter” with her information and expresses her gratitude and appreciation in it, but is that enough? What’s the best way to find out who helped her?</p>

<p>This is why the whole local Panhellenic thing makes me nervous (as she chews on her fingers!!!). I like to know who writes the rec and that it was actually sent. This is why I say great to go with the local Panhellenic but you should get one for each on your own as well!!! When you gave them your packet did you include a hand written “thank you” note? You might call your Panhellenic and inquire as to how you send a thank you note? Manners is always appreciated !!!</p>

<p>The majority we found ourselves, but there are 2 which we have to rely on the Panhellenic group for. One has her packet and met DD so getting her address shouldn’t be an issue, and the other, I think, can be easily tracked as well (that sounds weird, but is not meant to). So, basically, a silly question since once I thought it out I was able to answer it myself. Sorry.</p>

<p>Next…</p>

<p>

For the Panhellenic deal, yes, that’s enough. Sometimes a whole committee meets to put these together - they don’t expect individual thanks. A nice note with the packet is perfect.</p>

<p>The dual enrollment will be done by the end of June and summer class grade by end of July (transcript should be ready). If they don’t go until the first week of August, she should be fine. Thanks!</p>

<p>Anyone else having trouble with online recruitment registration? I fill out the entire form, upload everything, hit submit, and the next page comes up saying I haven’t filled in any of the information! I have made sure cookies are allowed. Could it be the uploads? Because when I hit the back arrow, all of the information is still there except for the uploads. Any ideas? Thank you so much for any reply!</p>

<p>You might want to call, or at least e-mail, the Panhellenic office. You might not get an answer until next week, or even the next. Graduation was just last week, and there’s a brief lull before the interim classes kick in.</p>

<p>Does anyone have any further advice on securing recs? My daughter is having trouble with some of the sororities and she has already contacted our local alum association (St. Louis). She’s from a small town in Southern Illinois and it is proving difficult to find any alumni for some of the sororities. She’s already asked teachers, people at church, etc. </p>

<p>She is valedictorian, beautiful, involved in several activities (I know, every mom thinks their daughter is wonderful and they all are :)…I would just hate to see her miss out mainly because she grew up in a small town where there are few sorority women.</p>

<p>Help???</p>

<p>Thanks!!!</p>

<p>I was in the same situation. I was only missing a few but my roommate is from the south and she quickly found me three women for each sorority I was missing. I was able to talk to each on the phone so they could get to know me. I had exhausted all my options before doing that though. My town doesn’t have a local Panhellenic but there were some alumni chapters for individual sororities but not all of them. So maybe your daughter could ask her roommates or friends she met at Bama Bound? Good luck to her! :)</p>

<p>You could try going to that sorority’s national website and finding a listing for an alumnae group close to you, and contact them. Or contact the HQ and ask for help. I’ve see ours ask for the info and then forward to the appropriate person.
Always, always better to get someone who knows you or your family, but sometimes you do what you gotta do.</p>

<p>Are any of her friends going to rush? If they are, network. My D and a few friends have shared recs that they were able to introduce to each other. For example, at D’s grad party last week a good friend and former neighbor was there and talked to D and her friends that are rushing. She knows D very well and got to talk to the other 2 and they dropped off their rec packets the other day for her. One of our recs is a mom of D’s classmates. Her college roommate was in a sorority that D had no recs for. She hooked them up and told the former roommate a bit about my D and will be doing a rec, YEA! It does not hurt to ask the recs you know well if they have friends they still keep in touch with from college that were in other sororities.<br>
Facebook also worked for us, for those recs that I’m friends with and did not know they were in a sorority. Had never really come up in conversations thru the years or at least that I had remembered. </p>

<p>Good luck!</p>

<p>Kim…
I sent you a pm. I can help you but need to know what recs you are missing. There are quite a few alum groups in your area that are more than willing to write recs for girls. In addition you have a pretty large group of PNMs from the St. Louis area going through this year and I am sure that net working with those girls would help as well. I can put you in touch with s few if you like.</p>

<p>Thank you all for your help! We’ve reached out to a few people and daughter has asked her roommates about networking and “sharing” contacts. Thanks again!!</p>

<p>And to those who have pm’d me…if I haven’t responded, it’s because I don’t have enough posts yet and you didn’t leave an email. I will try to follow up once I can.</p>

<p>My daughter is barely under the cumulative 3.0 minimum GPA suggested for rushing at UA, although well over a 3.0 her Jr. and Sr. years. She does plan on rushing but we are wondering what her chances are since she didn’t quite hit the mark. She was injured two weeks before finals and was unable to hand in a couple of final projects. Her counselor wrote a letter to send with her final transcript explaining her situation. I think that might be overkill. Also, I am missing a few recommendations, but have excellent ones for the majority of houses. Does she still have a chance of getting a bid? She is very open to the process, but I want to make sure there is a possibility for a chance of a positive outcome. We realize there are no guarantees.</p>

<p>I sent you a pm…you can’t pm back yet but I gave you my contact info.</p>

<p>duchick64, IMHO she can try it, but go in knowing her options will be limited. A number of chapters simply do not look at anybody without a 3.0, and a few chapters establish an even higher limit. There is some flex for some situations - extremely outstanding extracurriculars, strong legacy status, etc.
She will need to try her hardest to get recs for those sororities she’s missing.
She shouldn’t enter recruitment thinking she will only accept C, E, M, X, or Z sorority. She should be open to EVERY group.</p>