Sorority recruitment changes - EARLIER

<p>Because of the large numbers of women registering for recruitment, an extra day has been added. Recruitment will start a day EARLIER than previously announced.
On the uapanhellenic.com Web site:
The new 2012 recruitment schedule will be as follows:
Thursday, August 9 & Friday, August 10: Residence Hall “Early Move-In”
Friday, August 10: Convocation (7:00 p.m. Foster Auditorium)
Saturday, August 11: Open House Day 1
Sunday, August 12: Open House Day 2
Monday, August 13: Philanthropy Day 1
Tuesday, August 14: Philanthropy Day 2
Wednesday, August 15: Skit Day 1
Thursday, August 16: Skit Day 2
Friday, August 17: Preference Day
Saturday, August 18: Bid Day (10:00 a.m. Bryant-Denny Stadium)</p>

<p>Wow…what about people who’ve already bought their plane tix?</p>

<p>that’s extra sucky! especially if you have some limitations like plane tickets and/or hotel rooms.</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure all of them were planning on moving in by Friday anyway. All this does is make their Friday a little more hectic with Convocation that night.</p>

<p>I guess I will be alone in Tuscaloosa for an extra day while DD is busy with recruitment. My flight home is not until the 12th</p>

<p>yeah, they might have been planning to move in on friday, but moving in and setting up and then having to get started all in the same day is a bit much. </p>

<p>oh well, i am sure it will all work out.</p>

<p>I am now so thankful it was so much cheaper to fly in on Thursday for us! I thought we would have all day Friday to pick up our stuff since our DD’s move in time was scheduled for Saturday morning with Convocation starting that night. Now they will give us a new move in time for Friday. I’m sure people are scrambling to change flights and make reservations. I know some people had cancelled their reservations after making their appt. for move in time. Bummer! We are counting the days though! Things will work out and it sure is an incredibly exciting time!!</p>

<p>As crazy and chaotic as this change is, in the long run it will be beneficial for the PNM’s going through recruitment :). With the record number of girls going through this year (currently 1630 girls had registered) something had to be done to give the girls and the sororities a better chance to meet and make decisions. Panhellenic wants the best for both entities.<br>
that being said it does impact those who had the Saturday move-in times. Since move-in times were assigned differently this year, some people only had a SAturday move-in time choice. It will all work out but I have to tell you that yesterday while sitting at the All Star Home Run Derby my phone was going crazy!!!
Am very excited for recruitment and to be back on campus for the big event. Thins are winding down with recs due VERY soon. I know many girls are putting the finishing touches on their wardrobes and accessories. A positive twist…think of the extra Skit Day outfit as another chance to GO SHOPPING>
FYI PNM’s…this impacts the sororities as well. Two Skit Day outfits for you means two Skit Day outfits for them :). My DD is headed to Atlanta this weekend to “go shopping” for another LBD…(Sshhh!!! Don’t tell her daddy…they are going to take in a Braves game while they are there).<br>
Looking forward to Greek Chic to come online July 16th and I know that many PNM’s will be checking their mailboxes in the near future for their own copy!</p>

<p>I wonder if it is going to impact those of us that are not sorority but have Friday move in for OA and AA. I hope not, our flights out on sat afternoon.</p>

<p>ahpimommy…where in ATL does she like to shop? Best of luck with recruitment!:)</p>

<p>Wow, thanks for the heads up. Sounds like it will be an extremely busy weekend for move in and I’m guessing there will be no hotel rooms to be found!</p>

<p>Bamagirls…we don’t know!!! Do yo have suggestions??? She has only been to Atlanta one time…for leadership training for Exec officers for her sorority. She has been told several names…Bill Hallman, Swank (She has been to the one in B’Ham), Mitzi and Romano. We have exhausted J Crew, Anthro, she doesn’t like White House/Black Market. We did look at Zara. she’s just searching for that great, conservative LBD. It can’t be strapless…has to be a decent length (not too short but not matronly)…can’t be any type of shiny material or chiffon…you know…just classy but not just the same ole black dress.<br>
One thing is that they have already had Dress Check…probably not going to have another so she knows what to get and since she is on Exec she has to make sure it’s “role model” material for the other girls (there has been talk of a virtual dress check)…accessories will stay the same…pearls…earrings, necklace and bracelet…that’s it.
Thanks for the good wishes…it will again be one of those memorable years. I have met so many wonderful mom’s and daughters (PNMs)…I am hoping to have a chance to personally connect with each one during the week.
Stay tuned for updates as I get them :).</p>

<p>Ahpimommy, if your D doesn’t mind online shopping, have her try shabbyapple.com. My D loves their dresses and they always have clothes that are very classic with a twist!</p>

<p>Missread…thanks so much!!! She does not mind online shopping. she actually got two of her Judith March Game Day Dresses from a very cute online boutique that also has a store somewhere in Alabama. This is exactly the unique type things she is looking for!! Thanks so much :).</p>

<p>Missread…does your DD shop at BHLDN.com? After looking at the link you sent I think she would love their things!! Just got on their website and I may have found DD a black dress (and a few more things). For those of you going through recruitment check this site…it’s related to Anthropologie. They are pricey :confused: but have great sales (like Anthro) and actually have one going on now. They have TONS of dresses that would be great for recruitment!!! Am going to send DD to Kate Spade while she is in Atlanta…:)</p>

<p>Thanks for the link ahpimommy! Never heard of bhldn but wow! they have some beautiful things…</p>

<p>What exactly should she expect at Convocation? I know it says come as you are but with a 4:00 move in time on Friday, I doubt she will go as she is!!</p>

<p>Convocation is basically just an overview of recruitment…what will happen and the girls will get their Rho Chi groups…it is not long and very relaxed. No active sorority women will be present besides Panhellenic and the Rho Chi’s. She should dress comfortably…you will see girls in cute shorts and tops and girls in the oversized shirts and Nike shorts. Feel free too PM me if you have more questions :).</p>

<p>FYI: i emailed housing late last night after reading the email about convocation being moved up and asked for an earlier move in time or a late one on the 9th. They were very quick to reply this morning and gave me a late time on the 9th. Very quick and painless. Since we are coming from Chicago, I was nervous about only having a few hours to get her organized and make trips to Target, Bed Bath, etc. </p>

<p>If you are concerned about your time you might want to email them directly. You need to include students name, CWID, residence hall and your original time.</p>

<p>Hope this helps some of you out.</p>

<p>Watch out everyone! My move in time was changed from 4 on the 10th to 9 am the day before without any consultation, although my original time would have worked out fine. Make sure to check your crimson mail and make sure they don’t change your move-in time to a time you cannot make!</p>