Sorority Retreat Question

<p>In Greek Chic, they give the dates of the sorority retreats. Some leave on Bid Day. Is this just a day thing or do they spend the night? Trying to plan for the weekend if I come on Bid Day. Thanks!</p>

<p>They spend the night. If it’s a Bid Day thing they usually leave around 4 or 5 and are gone until the next evening (maybe late). If they don’t go on Bid Day then they will have a Ritual event that evening and in some cases will be taken to be introduced to the brother fraternity. DD’s year (2010) manyof us moms were bonding in the laundry room at Tut doing wash!!</p>

<p>Good to know. Thanks! I appreciate the info…I guess that if she is gone, it would be nice for me to do her laundry for her:)</p>

<p>Out of curiosity, where do the retreats usually happen?</p>

<p>Some are gone more than one night. The retreats are various locations - I know my DD’s was at the beach in 2010 and I think that is still the case for her sorority.</p>

<p>Also, not all sororities have a “brother fraternity”.</p>

<p>My D went to a spa outside of Florence, AL last year and she loved it. I know that this year they are going someplace else.</p>

<p>Last year my D took bus to hotel in Birmingham we ended up driving to Nashville. Since we were from CA decided to use the time to see some more places. D was gone all night and the following day anyway. Also had things planned on Monday as well. When I spoke to one of the alumnae advisors they told me they were trying to curb the mixing with fraternities that first weekend with the new girls.</p>

<p>This is such helpful information - thank you all! This is one area of recruitment we parents of PNM’s are generally clueless about.</p>

<p>Ahpimommy, DH, DD1 and I had to head back to WI this AM, so DD2 will have to do her own laundry, poor girl (we’ll see if the “how do I start the machine? how much detergent? what is fabric softener and when do I use it?” emergency texts come flooding in).</p>

<p>MereMom…or…you could get the text I got from DD2 (not my DD at Bama)…Help…everything is pink and looks like it would fit a newborn!!! Using Dad’s credit card to buy new clothes :).</p>

<p>Akk! I’ll keep my fingers crossed she texts BEFORE she makes her first attempt!</p>

<p>I wouldn’t want to ruin it for the girls but I know some of their plans and it sounds like fun! Last year, my daughter went to a spa and loved it. This year they are doing something totally different :slight_smile:
It’s nice to the let our daughters share something “fresh and new” with us before we hear it from other parents on CC. Let this be their experience and gush about which details they choose to share.</p>

<p>My D gave laundry lessons during Summer II while there to a few guys. I guess she will be doing the same again at Tutwiler. D has said that the washing machines at UA are super easy to use. Be careful though, you only have 2 choices, Colors or Whites. If you select “Whites” it will not be on cold water. So, if it is something you want to be washed on cold and it is white, select “Colors”.</p>

<p>My sorority went to Camp Sumatanga last year, a Methodist camp in NE Alabama. I guess some of the girls weren’t used to sleeping on a screened-in porch with no AC. They aren’t returning this year!</p>