Sorority Spring Recruitment

<p>can anyone please tell me what my chances are of getting into a sorority this spring 2014? it will be my first semseter at A&M and i am already a sophmore so i dont want to wait until next fall. any advice would be great!!</p>

<p>There isn’t formal recruitment in the spring, just the fall. Spring is informal, not all houses participate and it is based on whether houses are at total ( entire membership numbers ) and the amount of December senior graduates/transfers or dropped members. Policies are different at every house, regarding whether they spring rush or not. It is not required by the school, but determined by the house - some have a must be at total policy, some don’t. Also if the house is full, they are not allowed to increase their numbers by Panhellenic. Check with Panhellenic office to get contact information and notification of who has decided to have Spring recruitment. Some are invitation only and some open. They’ll be able to at least give you some information that you can trust. Stay away from online info - it’s very tainted. Sorority recruitment was very competitive this year with over 1000 PNMs (potential new members)so pledge classes are much bigger this year, leaving fewer openings since total has not changed(most houses are at or over total) at least that is my understanding. </p>

<p>As far as chances, it will depend on how many houses are going to be able & choose to participate. I believe there is only one house that is under total at the moment (before graduation data) they are in a ‘rebuilding phase’ so chances are good there, as for others no one knows yet.</p>

<p>Assuming you are talking about the 12 National sororities. There are also other sororities on campus that have various focuses (religious, community service etc)& have non-competitive enrollment for the most part and are not part of Panhellenic. You can find those by searching under the larger heading of clubs & student organizations.</p>

<p>AgmomX2- thank you so much for your response. Not only were you incredibly helpful, and informative, but very sweet about everything. I truly appreciate that and haven’t experienced that on some of the other Greek websites. :frowning:
If i can’t pledge this Spring, i will go through formal rush in the Fall…which i know as a junior will be difficult. I’ve been wanting to be in a sorority since high school so I truly hope this can happen for me. Do you think houses ever pick up juniors, or will i be wasting my time? Any idea?</p>

<p>There is a quota for freshman and then a separate one for upperclassmen (sophomores & juniors) to encourage houses to take upperclassmen. So yes, there is a chance as you do not compete directly with freshmen. However, the competition is stiff for those spots and of course sophomores are more desired than juniors. This past recruitment quota was 67 ( 49 fr./ 18 uc). You will really need to go in with an open mind knowing your goal is to be in a sorority. Keep in contact with Panhellenic to find out the correct process & timing for both Spring & Fall. They are very nice :slight_smile: Good luck!</p>

<p>Saw that you had asked how to meet sorority members - a couple of suggestions- look for flyers or advertisements of greek fundraisers. There are lots to go to and many of the sororities support the other sororities or fraternities by going to their fundraisers too- most are open to the student body. When you get to school, sit in the front of the class - several Greeks sit together up front. Grades are important once you’re in a sorority too, so it’s a good habit. It’s amazing how many people recognize you from classes, so make sure you come to class representing yourself positively. Also look to get involved with another non-sorority activity that you like - often you’ll find a member in one of those too - Greeks here are quite involved outside of their chapters as well. There’s over 2000 sorority girls on campus - it won’t be that hard to meet some.</p>

<p>thank you, AGmomx2!! you have been so kind and i appreciate your advice. i will do exactly as you say. :slight_smile:
thanks again!</p>