Sorority update?

<p>I was there to see an AA this weekend accept her bid and be welcomed with open arms by her new sisters.
There are a few problems I actually have with the whole open bid though. Houses are crowded enough, food lines at meals are insane too so add more girls to this adds to the problem. The girls that are being let in are missing out on a once in a lifetime chance that the other sisters got to have, rush, bid day, bonding sleepovers, house retreats, big/little reveals, etc. it would have been nice for everyone involved if COB could have taken place, like in years past, in the spring so that mini experiences could have recreated and done for the new girls.</p>

<p>There may still be some openings for spring COB, but it’s not a big production like formal recruitment…it’s not even as big a deal as what’s going on right now with everyone scrambling.</p>

<p>Do ya’ll understand what Continuous Open Bidding is? It’s not an organized thing, it’s more like inviting somebody over to the house for lunch or dinner, or to watch a movie, or a small group going out bowling. We used to call it “informal rush” or “open rush” which is more descriptive.
If a sorority has openings, they can invite a woman to a few small gatherings (or one or none - there are no requirements) and then give her a bid. If she has not signed up with Panhellenic, they go to the Panhel office (or nowadays, do it electronically I’m guessing), sign her up and immediately offer her a bid.</p>

<p>I pledged through COB. I did not go through formal - by the time I got the info it was too late to sign up. I participated in 3 formal recruitments on the sorority side - believe me, I did NOT miss very much by not going through as a rushee!!</p>

<p>yeah, i don’t think missing out on rush is much of a negative. missing bid day and the retreat, maybe, but not rush! i am sure these girls would rather miss out on rush and bid day than the sorority experience as a whole.</p>

<p>adding a few more girls to the houses is not going to make much difference with overcrowding.</p>

<p>The fact that UA greek is all-white should be about as shocking as finding out that gambling was going on at Rick’s.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>GolfFather, which majority-white universities do you consider to have exemplary racial integration in their Greek systems? Please provide a link to the data. </p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>Yes, Malanai, it is possible to be both outraged at racism at UA and any other school, yet annoyed with the condescending national media coverage. I feel better about the NPR story after reading the transcript, but the title was typical bash the South stuff IMO.</p>

<p>The title was BS but when I listened yesterday, I thought it was a reasonable piece.</p>