Sorry if this offends*

<p>I am planning on applying RD to Hampshire, but when I mentioned that to my friend he had some reservations.</p>

<p>He had visited and told me that Hampshire is for kids who "didn't fit in during highschool" and that the students are "really quirky." Also that it seemed like there was "no social life" and "generally weird."</p>

<p>I don't want to take him at his word, so I figured I'd throw it out to the CC gods.</p>

<p>Is he wrong? Right? Somewhere in the middle?</p>

<p>I live close to Hampshire..I've never actually been there but have been to some of the five colleges and I can tell you their perception of Hampshire students tends to be "weird".
But..I also know some people who go to Hampshire and they weren't outcasts during high school at all.
The students do tend to be quirky, very liberal but I would say there is a social life. Even if it's not at Hampshire there are events going on all around at teh five colleges. Also, Northampton is really close which is a great town.</p>

<p>Thanks so much for the input, rma32. I know the obvious answer would be to visit myself, but I just don't have the time. And I'm glad to hear about the surrounding social screne. May I ask what the "five colleges" are?</p>

<p>It's a consortium between Smith College, Mt. Holyoke, Amherst College, UMass Amherst, and Hampshire College.</p>

<p>You can take classes at any of the schools if you attend one of them...I think Hampshire students especially take advantage of that. </p>

<p>Also, there is a bus route that connects all of them (they are all within about 10 miles of each other)</p>

<p>I have a friend in Smith and she had some reservations when I told her I was applying to HAmpshire. I will give it a shot for my RD. She was telling me they donot have final exams at Hampshire. How far is this true?</p>

<p>I don't know for sure but it does sound like something they might do...check out their website I'm sure it mentions it somewhere.</p>

<p>I'm not a Hampshire student, but I am applying RD this year. In November, I spent 2 days living on campus with Hampshire students to get a feel for the college (which is one of my top choices).</p>

<p>Many people will say that Hampshire kids are "quirky", and I've found that is true overall. Despite their unique interests, most of the students I met were very friendly, with great social skills. </p>

<p>I definitely disagree with the idea that there is no social life at Hampshire. I stayed over on a Friday-Saturday and can attest to the fact that Hampshire students can (and do) party. However, it's more of a relaxed atmosphere (aka no binge drinking or anything crazy) than you'd find at other colleges. </p>

<p>I found that most Hampshire students (even freshmen) were extremely self-confident and poised. The types of students that are admitted are not your run of the mill kids, but that only enriches the Hampshire experience.</p>