Southeast Housing

<p>My son was recently accepted, and want to send in the housing contract (due feb. 2). He wants to be on the southeast side. What building do you suggest?</p>

<p>Chadbourne RC, Smith, New Ogg, Sellery, Witte in that order.</p>

<p>What kind of atmosphere is he looking for in the southeast side?</p>

<p>There's considerable difference between the buildings...</p>

<p>He's a very social person, likes to join many activities. Also, are any of the buildings nicer than others ? Thanks for the info.</p>

<p>Ogg and Smith are virtually palaces compared to the others because of their recent construction - they are extremely difficult to get into, though, because of that reason. Many freshmen rank them among their top choices. Witte and Sellery are the classic freshmen dorms... if he prefers the more social atmosphere, he should look into those dorms.</p>

<p>suzy13, you will want to put Chadbourne on the top of the list if your son likes to be involved in any kind of activities. Chadbourne has A LOT of programs, community events, activities, etc. Another plus of it is Rheta's, the dining hall located on the first floor of Chadbourne. As of building, just like kimu08 says, Ogg and Smith will have the nicest space because of their recent construction. I don't know if dining option is important for you, but Chadbourne is the only dorm with its own dining hall. If you get to live in Smith, Selery, Ogg or Witte, you will need to go to another building for the dining hall. </p>

<p>Hope it helps.</p>

<p>diera23, thank you so much, we are sending in the deposit soon, all of the info is so very helpful, thanks again.</p>

<p>sure suzy13, i'm glad to help. just drop any question if you still need to!</p>

<p>Liz Waters also has a dining hall in the building. Don't make that the deciding factor, however. The snack bars are farther away from these dorms.</p>

<p>Really listen to your son's input and the way in which he is leaning. </p>

<p>Most students were hyper involved in high school, and yet all do not choose Chadbourne. YES it provides incredible in-house programming, courses, and class sections, but the degree to which you can receive these in the other southeast halls is increasing. Personally, I would have hated Chadbourne. I had friends there and spent many nights there my freshman year, when I lived in Sellery. I think it would have hindered me to have such a huge degree of in-house options since I didn't yet have the confidence to get out and try other things on campus. Living in Sellery I kind of knew that if I wanted to get involved on campus I had to branch out elsewhere. I probably would have used Chadbourne as a crutch and wouldn't have had the breadth of experience that I did. That's just me, though, and I'm grateful I am able to look back and recognize where I was at and what I needed at the time. Your son could be more than successful no matter where he chooses.</p>

<p>Just trying to offer some more perspective, good luck and keep us posted on your decision!</p>

<p>I completely agree with MNbadger. Chadbourne does have an amazing location on campus, but I would have hated this dorm my freshman year. I had several friends in this dorm my freshman year who wished more than anything that they had chosen a different dorm. It does give you an opportunity to get involved and take classes, but the people who live here are on the less-social side. They don't go out much. I lived in Sellery my freshman year, which is one of the two classic freshman dorms and I absolutely loved it. I still am close with many of my floormates. These dorms are regarded as the "party, loud dorms," but I met amazing people and did very well.</p>

<p>Thank you Badger, how about Smith and Ogg, are they social as well?</p>

<p>Ogg is pretty close to Witte and Sellery, Smith is a little farther away. I'd put both down anyways just because they're so nice, as long as you don't mind the extra fee. Also, Ogg, Sellery and Witte are all virtually like a 1 minute walk away from a dining hall so Chadbourne doesn't have that big of a advantage having their own dining hall.</p>

<p>Notice what is said about the dining hall. Also note the proximity to snack bars and such for other late evening options.</p>