Southern Methodist University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

I’ve reached out to my admission’s counselor about the same question since I was deferred in December, but got accepted for Spring 2024. This was her response regarding majoring in business “Since Cox requires direct entry (which includes admission for Fall term) you will not be reconsidered for Cox again. You do have the option to apply as an internal transfer Spring semester, but the likelihood of admission is extremely low. I recommend considering other majors outside of Cox instead.”

1 Like

For spring entry, in the fall it’s best to go with an SMU study abroad program (make SMU friends) or a local community college (save $$).

Yikes. Guess that settles the question on SMU then, thanks for the help.

The London program doesn’t sound too great. The dorms are not near the school, so there is a bit of a commute involved. Has anyone looked into the Switzerland program? I think my DD is probably going to decline.

I hear more about the Switzerland program and that students are rather tight after coming into spring. Spring admits have their own Stampede orientation as well.

If one is dead set on accounting, I’d recommend a direct admit program. Most other business majors are transferable into other disciplines like engineering/CS (my son after Cox denial), data science, statistics, communications/advertising, etc. Finance can be a little tougher to translate unless economics with business minor.

1 Like

Accepted SMU, Waitlisted Cox. Honestly surprised I got waitlisted

DD deferred ED2 then Accepted for Spring ‘24. Letter said will receive Spring Entry Program option by April 15. Anyone know what they mean by “option”?

Program options?

1 Like

when are early action applicants deffered from cox in december suppose to hear back?

By April 15th. Although I was hoping for earlier (at the end of this month). I believe last year the decisions came out at the end of March.

thank you!

Pony Up!! Just admitted to Cox after EA deferral. It’s been a looonggg 3 months.

2 Likes

Congratulations! What were your stats?

Ditto. Just admitted to Cox. EA admit to SMU but deferred at Cox. Now in…trying decide between Honors College Business at Auburn and Cox at SMU. ANyone have an opinion on this? Scholarship to each.

2 Likes

Is cost a factor for you?

4.2 W GPA
6 DE, 6 AP, lots of honors
Varsity athlete, travel ball, piano player

2 Likes

Cox is a gem. Great facilities will be ready for sophomore year. Internships are probably easier to get in Dallas.

Results for the Presidents and Hunts Scholars came out today. Congrats to all the scholars!!

1 Like

Tough decision. Auburn continues to get more and more competitive year after year and increasing in the rankings. Cost is reasonable, campus is amazing, ranked for having the happiest students, I would think plenty of internship opportunities in nearby Atlanta, and SEC football. War Eagle.

1 Like

any department scholarship release yet ?