Southern Methodist University Early Action / Early Decision for Fall 2023 Admission

How did the invitation to apply for the presidential scholarship arrive?

The invitation came in a separate email.

My son got an email sent to his personal email, his SMU email, and my husband and I were both copied.

1 Like

My S23 was accepted on 12/16 just after 7pm. He is a national scholar, but still no word on any merit scholarships at all. Seems odd as others have had scholarships mentioned in their acceptance letters. Anyone else in this boat?

1 Like

do you mind sharing stats on this? trying to determine our chances after Cox deferral

Similar boat here in terms of no merit award yet. SMUā€™s sticker price is very high.

1 Like

Indeed! Iā€™m thinking perhaps the delay is related to national scholar status? Weā€™re checking the financial aid page in his SMU portal every so often. Best of luck to your student on a really good merit package!

1 Like

Son got in EA - anyone know when financial need based aid will be released?

Same here, no word. He only got his acceptance letter to SMU, but it did not say anything about merit scholarship nor if he was admitted to engineering. He got an email from Engineering saying he was invited to EA Admitted students reception, so we guess he got it, LOL.

Same! In addition to the email invite, we also received an invitation via USPS for the SMU Lyle School of Engineering EA Admitted Students reception. Perhaps the engineering department handles their side of merit scholarships differently than the others?

1 Like

Cox and Meadows have separate decision points. My freshman son was computer science in Lyle and had the same as your kids.

I believe financial aid/COA details come out in late January or early February. The counselors should have a better range.

1 Like

My son got his yesterday via USPS, too. We are in California, so not sure if we can make the reception. Are you folks going?

Yes. S23 has a few more questions/items that heā€™d like to discuss with the department. I can share if we learn anything new.

3 Likes

My son was accepted as engineering major as well without any mention of which college. When he spoke to AO she stated that there is no separate admission to engineering but if you were accepted to SMU and engineering is your major then thatā€™s all there is at this point.

2 Likes

Has anyone accepted EA received their Financial Aid notification yet? Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

I havenā€™t received anything yet either, has anyone or are we all still waiting?

1 Like

Still waiting. Trying to decide on whether to attend this Lyle Engineering event weā€™ve RSVPā€™d for this weekend.

2 Likes

My DS said he heard it would come out in April.

1 Like

Might as well attend and see what you think. My son is a freshman CS major.

1 Like

Any idea as to typical amounts of merit discount? It looks very pricey, but so is RPI and my son got a lot of merit discount there. So, itā€™s at least competitive.

2 Likes