Spanish 103?

<p>Headed to Bama Bound for Thurs. Need advice:

1. Should my S take Spanish 103 if he has had 2 years of spanish? (He’s a business major) He didn’t take placement test.
  2. Can’t seem to find any professors assigned to SP 103 in catalog - any recommendations?
    Thanks!</p>

<p>My D took 103 last fall with Sierra Turner, loved the class and the teacher!</p>

<p>All of the Ana’s are good. I think there are 3 whose first names are Ana.</p>

<p>just curious, given your last name, do you speak Spanish in the home? if he were to take Spanish 103 at UA, what other FL classes would he need to take for his major? PM me if you want to discuss details. Depending on your situation, I may have another suggestion.</p>

<p>Will the prof names be loaded into the system by BB or will my son be able to find out which profs are teaching class while he’s there? Right now the catalog just says “staff” for all of them…thanks!</p>

<p>katorres, is your son not planning on taking the placement test at BB? I would think that he should.</p>

<p>As for the prof. names not being listed, I wouldn’t count on it. You can always switch the schedule around this summer once the profs. are listed if desired.</p>

<p>I took the placement test last night and did scarily well (placed into 300+ level spanish when I guessed on more than half the questions…). The test was pretty short and all multiple choice, they give you an hour but I think it took me about 20 minutes to guess on all the questions (hahaha). The test is also available on mybama under the academics tab!</p>

<p>There were many sections of 103 last fall. DD switched sections after the first few weeks because she didn’t like the professor. She wanted to drop it completely but I suggested she find another section and it worked out great… language requirement - check</p>

<p>Does anyone know about possibly testing out of Spanish? My son has 3 years in hs, in TX is you take two years of one language you are not required to take it in college. I was hoping he could take the clep test and be done. Would he have to take it at UA or could he take it at a testing center here in TX during the summer?</p>

<p><a href=“http://clep.collegeboard.org/search/test-centers[/url]”>http://clep.collegeboard.org/search/test-centers&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>CLEP should be taken near your home. No need to do it at UA.</p>

<p>Does your son’s major require FL? Not all do.</p>

<p>took the placement test last night and did scarily well (placed into 300+ level spanish when I guessed on more than half the questions</p>

<p>If you’re afraid to move onto a 3XX class, you don’t have to. However, if you don’t want to take anymore Spanish classes, then I would suggest that you take CLEP, take the credits, and be done.</p>

<p>*Does anyone know about possibly testing out of Spanish? My son has 3 years in hs, in TX is you take two years of one language you are not required to take it in college. I was hoping he could take the clep test and be done. Would he have to take it at UA or could he take it at a testing center here in TX during the summer?
*</p>

<p>To “test out” you have to do CLEP or AP. CLEP is generally easier.</p>

<p>That said, if you’re an Eng’g major (or CS), then you don’t have to do a FL.</p>

<p>Yes, his major requires the FL credits. Thanks, I will check out the clep test locally.</p>

<p>How do CLEP tests figure into the GPA?</p>

<p>^^ Re what mom2ck said: “If you’re an eng’g/cs major, then you don’t have to do a FL”…HOWEVER, you can use those credits for some other degree req! Taking the CLEP and passing will net you at least 8 credit hours and as many as 14 credits (depending on your score), which does satisfy your “depth” study requirement and can go towards your Humanities/Literature/Fine Arts req instead (if your major has one). Just because you do not have to take any further language at UA, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take the CLEP/AP. It is wise to try to get some credit for your language work in HS by taking the CLEP or AP (if you have the funds to do so). Those credits will come in handy, if for nothing else than giving you a higher classification for registration status.</p>

<p>^ the CLEP tests have no affect on GPA. The credits are listed on your UA transcript merely as “P” with “0” GPA hours and thus “0” GPA points. In Degree Works, the CLEP credits my S earned show up in a couple of different spots: they satisfy his ‘depth’ study req; they satisfy his H/L/FA req; and they also spill over into his ‘electives’ category (or ‘fallthrough’ courses, as it is sometimes referred to).</p>

<p>I scored into 300+ on my Spanish placement test, but knew I would not be majoring or minoring in Spanish. So, to boost my GPA while taking a bunch of harder honors classes, I decided to take Spanish 201. My roommate decided to do the same. The first (or possibly the second) week of class, a male professor came into our classroom and said that he was aware of several students in our class who scored very highly on the placement test. He said if you scored high on the test (into 300 levels), you were not allowed to be in 201 and you needed to leave the classroom and talk with him in the hallway. He made it seem like these students who scored highly were in trouble for thinking they could take a class “beneath their ability.” So, about 5 kids (out of 20), left the room to talk to him in the hallway. They did not want to go to a harder class but were intimidated by this guy.</p>

<p>I decided not to go out into the hallway. I felt bullied and talked down to, and this professor was just downright rude. I am assuming he did this because the 201 sections were too full and they needed some students to transfer to 300 level? Regardless, I never went, and no one ever made me switch classes. But the kids that went all were transferred. SO, if your kids want to take an easier class, they are allowed. Don’t let them feel bullied or pressured to accept their results on the placement test. They are not binding! 201 was a great experience and the right fit for me.</p>