Spanish minor

<p>Sorry i am posting so much! I am looking at a spanish minor as i have taken 4 years in high school, i would rate myself a little below proficient, i can have a slow conversation with a native speaker. I know most verb tenses (focus at my school) but my vocabulary is limited to a couple thousand words.</p>

<p>Could i get 101, 102, etc waived, and would that also waive the total credits for a spanish minor?</p>

<p>However, i do not have any ap credits,</p>

<p>My S had dual credits for the 100 and 200 level courses, but a lot of people on here recommend CLEP tests to get credit for the lower level courses. You can also take a placement test during orientation and if you test into a higher level course, once you complete it, you will be given credit for the lower level courses. If you test into a 200 level course, once you complete it you will get credit for the 100 level courses. If you test into a 300 level course, once you complete it you will get credit for the 100 and 200 level courses.</p>

<p>Yes, if you receive credit for the lower level classes, then you will need to take fewer courses for the minor. For the minor you need to complete the 100 and 200 level courses (or get credit for them) and then complete 5 additional courses at the 300-400 level.</p>

<p>Thanks very much! I think i can pass the clep spanish 1, and take the minor. My problem is filling my schedule because i have 30 credits entering so i will be a junior my second year and working on major courses. I am thinking about double or triple minoring</p>

<p>With 4 years of high school Spanish, you may end up with 14 Spanish credits from the CLEP test. Each year of HS Spanish is supposed to be the equivalent of a semester of college Spanish (at least through SP 202), so if the Spanish instruction at your high school was good and you did well, you may do better than you expect on the CLEP exam. It’s certainly worth a try. </p>

<p>As for having trouble filling your schedule - consider doing the University Scholars program. With a lot of credits coming in, you may be able to get your bachelors and masters degrees in 4 years.</p>

<p>One other thing - there are specific requirements for being admitted to the upper division of Culverhouse (without which you can’t take 300 level and above business courses). Make sure you familiarize yourself with the section of the catalog dealing with applying to upper division, and let your advisor know that you need to start 300 level courses as a soph so you’re sure to get the required courses done freshman year.</p>

<p>Could i get 101, 102, etc waived, and would that also waive the total credits for a spanish minor?</p>

<p>Look VERY CLOSELY at the req’ts for the Spanish minor. It’s not like typical minors at Bama and at many other schools. **Classes like 101, 102, 201, and 202 don’t really count towards the minor at all. ** Only upper division classes count and a number of those are difficult and not many are really needed if the desired goal is simply better Spanish fluency.</p>

<p>My younger son got credits for all the lower division Spanish classes and also got credits for upper division (Conversational Spanish, Medical Spanish, Business Spanish), but there was no way that he was going to complete a minor because of the specific req’ts. </p>

<p>I think the reason that schools do the Spanish minor this way is because too many kids can come in at the 3XX level after testing, so schools don’t want to count those 1XX, 2XX classes towards the minor. </p>

<p>Spanish Minor</p>

<p>The SPANISH MINOR has emerged over the last few years as one of the most enticing options for students in business, criminal justice, political science and many other areas of study. To complete this minor students must take 15 hours on the 300-400 level where there are three required courses: SP 353 (Conversation), SP 356 (Grammar and Composition), and SP 364 or SP 366 (Civilization). The remaining six hours must come from courses on the 300-400 level. Students in business have found that the Spanish business courses (Commercial, Technical Writing, Economics, Politics, and Media) enhance their marketability significantly.</p>

<p>Requirements for the minor in Spanish. The Spanish minor requires 15 semester hours in courses numbered 300 or above, including SP 353, SP 356, and SP 364 or SP 366. A minimum of 6 hours at the 300 or 400 level must be earned on this campus.</p>

<p>SPANISH MINOR
15 HOURS on 300 or 400 LEVEL

1. SP 353 CONVERSATION
  2. SP 356 GRAM. & COMP.
  3. SP 364 or 366 Civiliz. (Penin./LA)
  4. SP 300-400 ELECTIVE
  5. SP 300-400 ELECTIVE</p>

<p>^an eye-opening post…we are going to give this a hard look before going forward^</p>

<p>Any comments from those in hiring positions in business care to comment? Simple bi-lingual fluency vs. actual college minor??? Worth it???</p>

<p>As an engineering student, my S is not having any issues completing the requirements for the minor (as well as the requirements for honor’s).</p>

<p>He came in with 35 credits of dual-credit and AP coursework.</p>

<p>He started with credit for the 100 and 200 level Spanish coursework.</p>

<p>He also had credit for the freshman composition courses. During his first two semesters instead of taking the freshman composition courses, he instead enrolled in the 353 and 356 Spanish courses. He did have the benefit of also travelling abroad for 6 weeks as a high school student, but beginning in 356 his first semester was not an issue, in fact he not only got an A+ in the course, but his instructor told him one day that he should consider an engineering/Spanish double major. Since 353 and 356 are requirements for many of the other Spanish courses, it makes sense to take them early and as one is a grammar course and the other conversation, they are a good foundation for other upper division courses. Most courses require one or the other and many courses require them both as prereqs, so even if intending on taking some Spanish courses such as commerical Spanish or technical writing, students will often find they will need to take at least one of these courses if not both, putting them well on the path to completing the requirements for the minor.</p>

<p>He is enrolled in the commercial Spanish course for one of his electives during the fall of sophomore year. That leaves him with 2 courses to complete in his remaining 5 semesters. Although one is a required culture course, the other is any 300-400 level course of his choice.</p>

<p>At least for us, with S comfortable beginning with the 300 level courses as a freshman, the minor requirments have not seemed very challenging to complete.</p>

<p>I’ll just throw out that my DD is double majoring in Exercise Science and Spanish, and plans to go on to physical therapy school. With her AP credits (including AP Spanish) she has found it quite workable to do both and really has enjoyed her Spanish coursework. I think the requirements of the major, if you can manage it, will really help your fluency and increase your understanding of cultural differences. The head of foreign languages for our county school system told us at the language honor society induction ceremony that businesses are really looking not just for fluency within a language but a real ability to understand that there are cultural differences. So consider a study abroad opportunity in a Spanish speaking country as well.</p>

<p>It sounds like i only have to take 5 classes in 4 years to get the minor- definitely doable</p>

<p>It’s fine to try. But, don’t get be upset at some point if you realize that you can’t finish the actual Spanish minor. You can improve fluency w/o the minor.</p>