"Special Reception"

<p>Ya-hoo (an expression of exclamation, not the website)!!! We got an invitation in the mail today to a “Special Reception” for students and parents at a tony resort in Scottsdale, AZ! The agenda says there will admissions staff, current UA students and a special guest speaker. </p>

<p>I have been reading about these receptions all over the country since I’ve been on these boards for a year and longed for one in Phoenix so I am very excited that our time has come! I can wait to see the Bama folks who are there and meet the other prospective students and their parents. I know of at least one student at my son’s school who will probably go. Her mother is a Florida Gator, but so far she has an open mind!</p>

<p>^^^^Oh, definitely go. These receptions are very very informative and the food is really delicious.
I went to two of these receptions last year. One was at a Country Club and the other was at a renowned hotel. There were great guest speakers including Dr. Witt. My son was also the student speaker at these events and we went as one set of UA parents.
I was told by many parents that they enjoyed the evening and was able to keep in touch with some of them. I answered questions and my son was able to give his first hand experience as a student.
Have a great time and enjoy!</p>

<p>Thanks, robobldmom. Of course, wouldn’t you know it, the website is down so I can’t sign up right away! I know my son will really enjoy hearing from everyone, but especially the Bama students. Peers have so much credibility!</p>

<p>I wish they’d have one of these in the Chicago area. I’d love to attend something like this and I think it would put more checks in the Alabama plus column for D. She just got an invitation to a tailgate and football tickets from Indiana that had a MUCH larger impact than I thought it would, so they just got a bunch of checks in the plus column, and I’d like to see Bama even that up!</p>

<p>is there a way to determine if any of these are scheduled in our community?</p>

<p>I would guess your regional representative would be a good place to start. We got the invitation in the mail, but on the website it said we could let other interested students and their parents know. I think they do want people to register so they know the numbers. The website is gobama.ua.edu/phoenix-reception. Maybe substituting another city in the address would work. We have been on the mailing list for quite awhile so I think interest was the trigger.</p>

<p>I am so looking forward to an event where you really get to meet and talk to people rather than sit and listen to a dog and pony show from admissions. For the most part, they are all the same.</p>

<p>If anyone is interested the New York, Long Island Reception will be at the Garden City Hotel on November 7th and the Connecticut Reception will be at the Greenwich Country Club on November 8th.</p>

<p>For anyone reading and not posting, but interested in attending either of these two receptions feel free to PM me.</p>

<p>I heard from our rep that there’s a reception in the Chicago area (Lombard) on 10/24. It’s pretty far from us, especially with ugly Chicago rush hour traffic, but from what I’ve read on this board, it will be worthwhile to attend.</p>

<p>Beth’s mom…do you have more information on the reception? I have heard nothing from our recruiter Bethany. So frustrating … We will definitely go.</p>

<p>I know only the date and the location (the Westin in Lombard). She said the invitations should go out in a few weeks, so I expect I’ll find out crucial things like the time when the invitation arrives.</p>

<p>buzymom and anyone else who’s been trying to get hold of the Chicago recruiter . . . </p>

<p>I’ve e-mailed Bethany a couple times in the past few days and she’s responded quickly and been quite helpful, so try again! Also, I specifically asked her about the reception - nothing has gone out yet on it.</p>

<p>Thanks so much Beth’s Mom! I sort of gave up trying to get answers from her and have really relied heavily on CC. Maybe I will try again. Thank you so much for giving us the information… Having a date this far in advance makes it so much easier. Gotta get that on the calendar right now. </p>

<p>SO excited to go and meet others in the Chicagoland area who are considering 'Bama. I am going to spread this info around D’s HS and see if I can bring a car load. UA has so much to offer and I know that our GC’s are not spreading the word, especially for the high stats kids.</p>

<p>We will be attending a reception in our area tomorrow night with DD. What is the ‘dress code?’ I’m assuming dress slacks or skirt and blouse would be appropriate. Also, the invitation says it begins at 7pm. Is this a concrete start time or is it more relaxed? Would it be very obviouis if we were 5-10 minutes later arriving? This will be a stretch for us to make since DD has marching band practice until almost six, will have to come home and shower/dress and the venue is a good 30-45 minute drive.</p>

<p>The reception we attended last year went like this:

1. Sign in, get name tag.
  2. Ask questions of any number of alumni, current students, Dr. Sharpe or other profs, or parents of current students.
  3. Yummy food stations. Pick out what you want to eat and talk to the folks. We had whoopie pies and frito chili pie. Yum!
  4. After 30-45 minutes we went to an auditorium to listen to great speeches, stories, and a slideshow. Very inspiring.
  5. On the way out you receive a Bama shirt and could talk to the folks again.
    HTH!</p>

<p>I don’t think it’s an issue if you’re a little bit late. There is a reception first with chatting with profs…and then the sit down talk.</p>

<p>Dress nicely, but don’t worry about it.</p>

<p>Beth’s mom,</p>

<p>My son received football tickets last year from UA. Is your daughter a senior? I can’t remember when we received the information, but hopefully someone else on here will.</p>

<p>I too say make every effort to attend one of the receptions. They are informational and enjoyable. We made many contacts during this event. We met Dr. (Lowell) Davis last fall at our reception and then stopped by to say hello on our next visit to the Capstone…he took son and me to lunch at the University Club…wow is all I can say!</p>

<p>Thanks everyone! Now if I can only get DD excited about this event. She is quiet around people she doesn’t know well and will already have spent eleven hours at school. She really stepped it up during our tour back in July as far as interacting with people and had a great meeting with Dr. Sharpe. Hopefully she can meet some of the professors from the areas that interest her.</p>

<p>The invitation to the one in my area said “business casual”.</p>

<p>*We met Dr. (Lowell) Davis last fall at our reception and then stopped by to say hello on our next visit to the Capstone…he took son and me to lunch at the University Club…wow is all I can say! *</p>

<p>Wow!!!</p>

<p>As far is dress is concerned I remember that last year, all the people were wearing at least “business casual”. One of the receptions was at a country club and both the hotel and club were upscale events. </p>

<p>There was a casual meet and greet with bountiful tables of food and beverages. Then there was a formal presentation with various speakers followed by a question and answer period. Afterwards people lingered to talk and ask questions one on one. </p>

<p>I would try to get there early (if possible) because that is a good time to mingle.</p>