Spending $$$$$?

<p>My D. has applied EA to CC. Definitely her first choice--she can't wait to hear . . . The opportunity to have adventures on block breaks and to travel as part of a course curriculum really appeals to her. My question is how students handle expenses both on block breaks and on trips that are scheduled as part of classes. We probably will not qualify for financial aid, however, the CC tuition is going to be a stretch. I am concerned that if D. is admitted, she might not be able to take advantage of the many things CC seems to offer, if she is on a limited budget. Thoughts? Advice?</p>

<p>Great question. I have the same concern. Also, are there things to do on campus during block breaks (films, shows, speakers) for those that stick around (i.e., who don’t ski)?</p>

<p>Although my sophmore son had to dip into his savings for a few block breaks, I had forgotten how inexpensively college students can travel. He has taken a few camping trips to Utah and several ski getaways in Colorado. For the camping trips he was able to check out camping equipment from CC (I cant remember but there might have been a small fee). He has been able to get reasonable accomodations and split the cost between several students or stay at the home of another student. Someone always has a car so those who do not have a car (like my son) help pay for the gas. He had only skied once in his life before going to CC so he did not have any equipment but he has managed to either borrow, rent, or buy at a discount what he needed. We did buy him a ski pass early in the season. I would recommend that if there is any chance that your student might ski. He learned last year to be very frugal during the block if he planned to take a fun trip over the break. I have discovered it really isnt any different for CC students than it is for kids at other schools who go on weekend getaways. Although CC students might spend a little more on block breaks, that they tend to spend less on the average weekend because of the work load. My son has become better at budgeting his money and planning ahead. At the end of the day, I have not found that the block schedule requires more spending money than the semester plan. My son has stayed on campus during several block breaks and it is my understanding that there is still plenty to do. CC students like most college kids are amazing at working together to figure out how to have fun within their own, as well as their friends’, budgets.</p>

<p>ditto what swimming08 said—especially that college kids are resourseful when the money is limited</p>

<p>There is a significant amount of gratis stuff to do on campus so the outlay of $$ during the non-block weekends doesn’t have to be massive. The Colorado/Wyoming/New Mexico kids seem to have parents or grandparents with cabins or condos that get used for stuff.</p>

<p>My S does ski and as a present I got him the 5 mountain pass his soph year. Over his soph Winter Break he skied in WY., CO and NM and (1) never had to pay for a place to sleep (stayed at either someone’s cabin/condo and on the apt couch), (2) never paid for lift tickets (either the pass covered it or he knew employees who had buddy-passes) and (3) never paid anything out of pocket for 4000 in driving (he had the car and the passangers bought the gas).</p>

<p>BTW–CC has been a great experience for my now junior S.</p>

<p>Thanks for the responses! My daughter is a skier, so the info. about passes is a great suggestion. I am really hoping that she is admitted. Everything I’ve read, heard and seen leads to me to believe CC would be a great fit . . .</p>

<p>Check out the Colorado Passes (for skiing) on-line well in advance of school starting. There are several wrinkles that you will need to be aware of. Nothing that is too big a deal. I seem to recall that there is bus transportation available out of CS to get to and from the resorts that are closest to CS. </p>

<p>My S came back to CC the day the dorm re-opened at Winter break and stayed in his dorm room (no extra charge), used the available cooking facilites in that dorm to cook pasta to take to the slopes to eat to avoid the high resort food and made it know that he would give others rides to and from for money to cover gas and parking. He always had at least 2 riders so he paid nothing and their transportation cost was less than the bus. </p>

<p>sunmachine-- I recall that my S mentioned that there was plenty to do on campus at breaks. I specifically remember films and dorm sponsored dances outside --before November.</p>

<p>BTW–of a student is interested there are a lot of student performances throughout the year since CC has a Dance and Drama department. You don’t have to be a Dance major or minor to try out.</p>

<p>datagirl, good luck to your daughter in the admissions process.</p>