Sport analytics degree

My son has wgt gpa 4.31, in wgt 3.9. 15 AP classes with Capstone diploma. Chance of getting in

SAT/ACT?

Probably a chance for sure - but make sure they apply to others as well- like a U of SC.

Because it’s a niche major, you want to have options.

1 Like

Getting in won’t be a problem but getting out with a job he desires is more unlikely. Check career outcomes.

2 Likes

I agree with the other that sports analytics is a niche major…a grad with that degree will be competing for jobs with majors from many areas: math, finance, many flavors of business, other types of analytics, and more.

Getting a job in that field is about internships and connections. Syracuse has a well regarded program. I can’t chance your kid because I don’t know their whole app…just make sure Syracuse is a good fit. The students in Falk are competitive with each other (it is not a kind and gentle place), and many are from the Northeast. I encourage your kid to visit and due as many of their virtual offerings as he can too.

Will your S be applying ED? Applying for financial aid?

1 Like

My son was admitted to the sports analytics program last year but in the end chose another place. It was a very close call. From what we saw, the program had good contacts for post-grad employment with teams and now with sports betting outfits, if your kid is into that. There were also good opportunities for national sports analytics competitions, and students getting a 5-year data analytics masters, or going to other graduate programs. We weren’t actually in the program, so we were just seeing the info they presented to admitted students, but it looked solid.

The program has also exploded in the last several years. Number of applicants has doubled, and at a presentation in the fall, they said the sports analytics major students had the highest average SAT scores at Syracuse. I don’t know this, but I think demonstrating interest may help – they had Zoom meetings for the sports analytics program last fall that were very informative with alumni and current students speaking about their experiences.

2 Likes