Sports and Recreation

<p>Does anyone have info on a running club or something like it? My son runs Cross Country and Track all year and would like to continue, but he doesn’t have the times to qualify for the team. It would be great if he could find people to run with. Especially with all the food he will be eating at school!</p>

<p>Hopefully momreads will see this thread. I know at least one of her sons runs cross country. She’ll be able to give you some info I’m sure. Another poster has a daughter that runs as well but I can’t remember who it was.</p>

<p>If momreads doesn’t reply in here send her a PM. She’s very nice and helpful.</p>

<p>[Student</a> Affairs | University Recreation Center](<a href=“http://urec.ua.edu/]Student”>http://urec.ua.edu/)</p>

<p>Did you look around on the rec center’s website?</p>

<p>Proudmama: Is your S going to be in the Honors college? I know that Dean Sharpe is a runner & trains with HC kids for various marathons. In past years, I know a group of UA HC students ran the Nashville Music City marathon.</p>

<p>If you click on [Student</a> Affairs | University Recreation Center](<a href=“http://urec.ua.edu/sportsclub.cfm]Student”>http://urec.ua.edu/sportsclub.cfm)</p>

<p>I think a lot of boys would want to sign up for the water skiing group…pretty girls in houndstooth bikinis</p>

<p>I don’t see a running club, but a student can start one if there isn’t one.</p>

<p>There is a Tri-athletes club and certainly they run.
[Student</a> Affairs | University Recreation Center](<a href=“http://urec.sa.ua.edu/sctiatheletes.cfm]Student”>http://urec.sa.ua.edu/sctiatheletes.cfm)</p>

<p>Alabama Triathletes is a sport club whose goal is to introduce the student population at The University of Alabama to the sport of triathlon. Triathlon is a sport that includes swimming, cycling, and running combined in one event. Members of Alabama Triathletes not only train and compete in triathlons, but also open running, cycling, and swimming competitions. In addition, members may also train and compete in duathlons (run and cycle), aquabikes (swim and cycle), or any combination of multi-sport events. Alabama Triathletes is a USA Triathlon (USAT) registered club.</p>

<p>Any UA student interested in exercise and living a healthy lifestyle is highly encouraged to join Alabama Triathletes. Alabama Triathletes are a group of highly motivated individuals who feel that triathlon is a sport for everyone. Members come from a wide variety of backgrounds. Some members come from high school swimming, track, or cross country programs who want to keep their level of fitness and are looking to fulfill their need for competition. Other members have no background in swimming, cycling, and running but are willing to accept the challenge of learning and training for triathlons. Current members include individuals ranging from those who have never competed in a triathlon to those who have completed 30+ triathlons and multi-sport events varying from sprint to iron distances.</p>

<p>I’m surprised there is not a running club. My son is on the high school cross country and track team, year round. Perhaps they can start a running club.
He’s in the H/C, so thanks for letting us know Dean Sharpe is a runner.</p>

<p>Many kids run, they just may do it on their own schedules. </p>

<p>Maybe kids have their own informal groups.</p>

<p>I’m pretty sure there’s an informal group that runs together regularly. I think Dr. Sharpe might even be part of it. I can’t remember where I heard this, but I’m pretty sure someone pm’d me about it. I’m sure whoever that is will jump in and let you know.</p>

<p>There is a group of runners through the Honors College. In fact, when we visited UA about three weeks ago, Dean Sharpe spoke with my son, who is a HS sophomore and competes in track and field and cross country, about it. They’ve done local runs as well as other events through the South. So since your student will be in the honors college, you may have him ask when he goes to UA. </p>

<p>Proudmama3: I hope your son does enjoy Alabama’s food. I’ve got one who said he has no problem taking the meal plan if he goes there, and one who did not like the dining hall food.</p>

<p>Hi all,</p>

<p>The honors program has a running club, and as far as I know it is open to everyone - honors or not. They train together each year then travel as a group to run a 1/2 marathon. Last year they went to Nashville and this year was New Orleans. Dean Sharpe himself leads the team. He runs with them weekly and at the out of town races. My D said he always bests them on time :)</p>

<p>The club (not an official “club” I don’t think) is a great way for casual runners and former cross country runners to stay active and enjoy the camaraderie of the group.</p>

<p>If anybody wants more details shoot me a pm.</p>

<p>Laura/timeflew</p>

<p>Sounds like something he’d like. As for him liking the food at Bama, I haven’t found a place where he doesn’t like the food. As long as there is plenty and variety and it doesn’t move, he will be happy. ;-)</p>

<p>Ok apparently my memory is faulty. I thought it was momreads but apparently it wasn’t. Who is the poster who’s son runs cross country at UA and was academic All SEC? The son also won a major academic award last year. Is it momof3boyz?</p>

<p>RTOTA14…your memory just skipped a beat (haha)…it is momof3boyz</p>

<p>My daughter will be president of the tri club next year. They have group workouts including running. Beginners are very welcome! I think the Honors College group trains for a half marathon in Nashville. She intended to train with them but had an injury. I hear great things about the group. Dr. Sharpe even found the PT in Tuscaloosa who treated her.</p>

<p>Checked with D’s next year’s roommate who is a marathon runner, her suggestions below/some with overlap to above posts and suggestions: </p>

<p>If he is in the honors college, and is interested in distance running, they have a half marathon club. If he is not interested in this (13.1 mile) distance, he could still do some of the clubs shorter runs to meet people. Also, the triathlon club here is REALLY strong. He could also just go to the running session of these groups and meet people that way. These are the only two groups that I know of. The city of Tuscaloosa also has a very active track club. The only other suggestion I could give him is if he is in honors college to do Outdoor Action. I think this is a great way to meet active people. I met several runners that way.</p>