Sports Journalism

<p>I'm a sophomore at Missouri State university. It's the second biggest university in Missouri. It enrolls about 20,000 undergraduates, and is a fine school, but obviously not being a flagship school it has it's certain limitations. Lately, I have thought about going into journalism and specifically sports. I absolutely love sports, and I can do very well in communicating about the topic, both orally and in writing. Would it be a good idea trying to get into the field at the university I attend? I mean transferring to Mizzou is an option being it has a great journalism school, but I very much enjoy attending Missouri State. I am just wondering what I could expect in the form of job prospects going into this major at a smaller school. Right now, I'm a political science major, btw.</p>

<p>I don’t know how well Missouri State is as far as journalism, but right now it’s easier to get a job if you’ve gone to a really good J-school (and even then, jobs are hard to get).</p>

<p>If you like where you are, stay. Get involved with the school or local paper, covering sports. Look for summer internships that would complement sports journalism, save your money, then go to Syracuse for graduate school in sports communications. Get as much experience as possible while your in undergrad and find a professor who can help guide you.
Just an idea.</p>

<p>BTW, I don’t disagree with CE527M. Journalism is a tough field (but, what is easy these days?). The better the school’s reputation, the easier the road. But, journalism, more than many other fields, responds to experience and accomplishment. Places like Missouri and Medill have real world experience built in to the curriculum. But, if you have the initiative, you can get the experience on your own wherever you are. If you can’t find it at your school or town, start a blog focusing on your local teams. Just make sure it’s well written and establish a voice.</p>

<p>Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CC</p>