Spring 2009 Students

<p>Where are you guys? lol...</p>

<p>This board needs some activity! :)</p>

<p>This can be a cool place for discussions and questions or to just chat about UMiami.</p>

<p>I'm a international transfer student and i'm stoked to go. How about you?</p>

<p>Plus, anybody know about their housing yet? or the best dorms?</p>

<p>Avoid the dorms like the plague. Stay in Eaton or the apartments if you must.</p>

<p>well, i have Eaton as a first choice, but how is it different than any of the other dorms?</p>

<p>and are the dorms really that bad? i can't seem to find anything online which talks about it.</p>

<p>My son is a freshman living in Stanford. Both Stanford and Hecht, the high-rises, are primarily filled with freshmen and are co-ed by floor. They are utilitarian with group bathrooms. The rooms themselves are small, but are definitely workable for two people; many kids "bunk" their beds, virtually doubling their space; some kids put futons, TVs, video games, refrigerators and microwaves under the beds. At the beginning of the year, the architecture(?) students have a thriving business bunking the beds; I don't know if this is offered mid-year. My son has made many good friends in his dorm; for him, the high-rises are perfect. BTW, if you're going to the high-rises, Hecht has renovated elevators and a renovated lobby; Stanford doesn't. Both dorms are noisy, given the nature of freshmen.</p>

<p>Kids who complain about Hecht and Stanford have likely never lived away from home before going to college - i.e., sleep away camps, multi-month class trips, or community service trips where you live in gyms or in churches. Having that type of group-living experience will make living in Hecht and Stanford non-problematic.</p>

<p>That said, as a transfer student, unless you're a freshman, you might want to look at the other dorms, which are filled mostly with sophomores, juniors and seniors.</p>

<p>Eaton, Pearson and Mahoney have suite style rooms - every double room shares a bathroom. The towers, Stanford and Hecht, are corridor style living with all double rooms on the floor that share common bathrooms. Hecht and Stanford tend to be mostly freshman and the corridor style dorms make it easier to meet people. As a transfer I am surprised you are getting on campus housing as there is usually a shortage of housing. The dorms are not great but living in them is a good way to meet other students and makes getting to classes easier.</p>

<p>bruceb - well, i have a very limited experience with living away from home, so it probably won't be as bad for me, but thanks for the heads up.</p>

<p>LilyMoon - I made a call and i noticed that the MyUM page for housing even changed about the situation with housing. They expect to have spots for everyone in the upcoming semester. </p>

<p>Plus, i only had a choice of Pearson, Mahoney or Eaton so it'll be either one of them. :)</p>

<p>Your lucky to have gotten on campus housing...any one of those dorms would be fine. Best of luck to you at UM.</p>