Spring 2014 Graduation (for obsessives only)

<p>As many of you know, hotel rates for graduation can get high, just as they do for football weekends. Also, it seems that most hotels won’t let you book until you’re at least within a year of graduation.</p>

<p>That said, I just found a risk-free option that you can reserve now as an insurance policy for the Spring 2014 graduation (commencement ceremonies take place May 2 and 3, 2014) at [Hotels</a> in Tuscaloosa, AL | Country Inn & Suites Tuscaloosa](<a href=“http://www.countryinns.com/tuscaloosa-hotel-al-35405/altuscal]Hotels”>http://www.countryinns.com/tuscaloosa-hotel-al-35405/altuscal)</p>

<p>ROOM DESCRIPTION:
Guest room includes:
-Complimentary breakfast
-Complimentary wired and wireless High Speed Internet
-Microwave
-Mini refrigerator
-Iron and ironing board
-Coffeemaker
-Executive chair
-Cordless phone
-Workdesk</p>

<p>If you book online you can cancel with no penalty by 6 pm on the scheduled day of arrival. I called the property and was assured that the rates are guaranteed if booked online (and told they’re likely to get higher as we approach graduation). They require a credit card to hold the reservation but will not charge it until you check in or fail to show up by the cancellation date/time.</p>

<p>I’ve never stayed at this place (others in the know can weigh in) but Expedia has 219 guest reviews, 94% of which recommend the hotel. Here are the average ratings from these reviews based on a 5 point scale:</p>

<p>Room cleanliness 4.4
Service & staff 4.5
Room comfort 4.4
Hotel condition 4.3</p>

<p>Like I said, for obsessives only. :)</p>

<p>Roll Tide.</p>

<p>NRDMOM and I stayed here this past February. There was no bacon at breakfast. :(</p>

<p>It was very clean and the staff was very friendly. But no bacon.</p>

<p>did you book?</p>

<p>I booked there for this year’s move-out last August - before I knew there was no bacon at breakfast (only sausage in February). Hoping they make it up to us next month. </p>

<p>I did not book for next year yet. But since the thread title said “for obsessives only” I had to read it.</p>

<p>I have got to meet these ladies. They crack me up.</p>

<p>I guess we should start booking graduation hotels now for next spring, huh?</p>

<p>probably so. prices won’t be going down, i don’t suppose. so there is no upside to putting it off. you can book here and then cancel if you find something you like better.</p>

<p>For the record, I booked reservations for this year’s graduation as soon as the dates were announced in late January 2012 (over 15 months in advance) and got an excellent rate at the Hotel Capstone. Booking a year in advance for an event you know you will be attending is a good idea, provided that you check your reservations every couple of months to make sure that everything is the same as you originally booked.</p>

<p>Do we already know when Spring 2014 graduation will be?</p>

<p>Yes, Montegut. See my original post. May 2 and 3.</p>

<p>And Mike, I booked several rooms there in anticipation of family joining us. I’m bringing my own bacon. From Whole Foods. :)</p>

<p>SEA_tide, how many days are reasonable to book for a graduation: Thurs. to Sun.? Fri. to Mon.? Once a graduate attends the weekend ceremony, is there a need to stay an extra weekday to tie up loose ends and finalize things at the University before leaving for good?</p>

<p>I noticed that this year’s schedule has the Colleges of Engineering and C&BA on Friday night. Is that usually the schedule every year?</p>

<p>malanai, there is no stove in the hotel rooms, only a microwave, so you will also need to bring one of these [Amazon.com:</a> Presto 05100 PowerCrisp microwave bacon cooker: Kitchen & Dining](<a href=“http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IUWC/]Amazon.com:”>http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00006IUWC/). They work like a charm. </p>

<p>Oh, and the very best bacon sold in stores is the thick-cut hardwood-smoked sold at Aldi’s.</p>

<p>Thank you, malanai, for starting this thread. I started looking last month and after visiting some websites, realized I had to wait until May to book. I appreciate your tip!</p>

<p>We like the Country Inn and Suites in TN, where we stay when we break up our drive down to T-town. Members of Club Carlson can either get a free room depending on amount of points accumulated or an additional discount off the room rate.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>You are most welcome.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I’m on it as we speak! ;)</p>

<p>I booked Thursday to Monday because of the very low rate and thinking I was graduating on Saturday. I’m trying to decide how long I can handle being in Tuscaloosa after I graduate since I don’t currently have plans to return to Alabama in the foreseeable future. My family is arriving on that Thursday morning and leaving Tuesday evening, so we’d have time to drive down to Destin if we leave Tuscaloosa on Saturday, but some of the family won’t like a 5-6 hour car ride each way.</p>

<p>This is only the second year that spring graduation has been over a two day period. CBA and Engineering graduated on Saturday last year. IIRC, the change to having two days of graduation ceremonies last year was made only a couple months prior to the graduations, which caused some confusion. UA announced that it will no longer hold finals on Friday afternoon of the spring semester finals week starting in Spring 2013 to accommodate students who are graduating or wish to attend the graduation on Friday.</p>

<p>One can cook bacon in a microwave with some paper plates and a lot of napkins. I love bacon and will often buy it as a snack when Publix has the expensive brands on sale for $4.00 per pound.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>SEA_tide, is this a typo (maybe 2014?) or is the published final exam schedule going to be changed?</p>

<p>malanai: We’re coming in Friday morning and leaving Sunday morning (very early, too). My husband has to return to work in the Houston area, while the youngest son and I need to get home to VA, because of AP exams starting the following day. Even the graduate is flying home that Sunday – guess he wants to sleep in his own bed and enjoy home cooking.</p>

<p>Momreads, I am so glad y’all will be able to attend graduation. And glad that your son will finally enjoy some of his mom’s great cooking!</p>

<p>I’ll have to write a note to start looking for hotel rooms for next year in May!</p>

<p>Wishing all the graduating seniors the best of luck on their futures!</p>

<p>A little late to this thread - don’t you people sleep? (Yeah, yeah, Hawaii, California…) but I will affirm that the Country Inn was a nice, clean, friendly place to stay. DH and I tend to favor Hampton because of the points, (and bacon) - but 2012Mom assured me CI was just as bacony. Nope.</p>

<p>Just saying, you can HOPE for bacon, just be prepared for sausage.</p>

<p>I have been assured by the Administration that the 2013 graduations referenced by SEA_tide and momreads are UNAUTHORIZED unless they remain contributing members on CC. The same goes for M2CK.</p>

<p>I can prepare for sausage but not a brain drain. ;)</p>