Spring 2014 Transfer Questions -- GPA, Mitigating Circumstances, Ws

<p>'ello all,</p>

<p>I am a CC student planning to apply to UW-Madison for as a Spring 2014 transfer.</p>

<p>UW's admission page states that transfer applicants should have a GPA >=3.0. I am sure that I will have this. Most likely, I will be in the 3.3 - 3.4 range at the time of application; by the end of the Fall semester, I expect it to be between 3.5 and 3.6.</p>

<p>My GPA was brought down by a semester of Cs during the Fall of 2012. During this time, I was homeless due to severe family circumstances, which made school difficult (homelessness following my mom's death). The Spring and Summer 2012 semester are full Ws, due to, again, severe family circumstances (mom dying, homelessness). Counting the Summer Ws, I attended 3 different colleges in two different states in 2012; one college, the one I attended Spring 2012 for, I only have Ws at (mom died, had to W, cannot afford to return -- it is 60k/a year). Prior to that, I have a semester with a B - B+ average, and I expect this semester to be an A average. Summer 2013 -- 12 credits -- is expected to be an A average. </p>

<p>I have a GED. I finished college early [at age 15] through homeschooling. I meet all HS requirements.</p>

<p>I have not taken the ACT or SAT since the 7th grade, when I took it (SAT) to gain admission into John Hopkins University's Center For Talented Youth program.</p>

<p>I have solid EC involvement. I have served on the board and board committees of non-profits, an advisory council of a major non-profit, had a writing piece read on national radio, served as a volunteer case manager for a mental health non-profit, etc. I specialize in LGBTQ mental health advocacy.</p>

<p>I want to major in Human Development, but am aware it is competitive.</p>

<p>I am a Northern IL state resident, ie NW Chicago Suburbs, with ties to Wisconsin, ie guardian grew up there, family lives there, etc.</p>

<p>I realize that nobody here can make predictions, however:</p>

<ol>
<li>What is the average transfer GPA for UW-Madison? Is 3.3 - 3.4 competitive? </li>
<li> If so, should I even consider UW-Madison, given the massive splotches in my record? How terribly will it hurt me?</li>
<li>If so, is HD too competitive? Should I apply to Psych?</li>
<li>Will taking the ACT help?</li>
<li>I am out -- out, as in, Googlable -- as being pansexual and trans*. Part of the reason UW is my top choice is its progressive, queer friendly culture. I did, howeve, want to claify that being out will not hurt me. </li>
</ol>

<p>PS: Do not quote me. After I have my answer, I would like to delete/edit this post to ensure anonymity.</p>

<p>I was recently admitted as a transfer for the Fall 2013 semester with a cumulative GPA below 3.0. I hope that my story – similar to yours in some respects and different in others – can provide you with some insight into the transfer process. </p>

<p>Like you, I have a strong upward trend. Unlike you, however, I don’t have a good reason for my abysmal past record (general immaturity, bad decisions, and a major that didn’t ‘fit’). Transcripts from my first college are a wasteland of Fs and Ws. I dropped out after one year with a GPA somewhere around 1.6, took a couple years off, got a good job, and grew up somewhere along the way. I ended up going back to school full time three years ago and brought my GPA up to something slightly less embarrassing with a steady stream of As. It took a lot of time, three schools, and a good dose of humility to get to where I am now, but I can say that getting into UW-Madison with a spotty academic record is possible.</p>

<p>I think the most important thing to keep in mind is that the admissions process is holistic. Yes, GPA plays a large part, but it is much more complex than that. Getting in is not a monolithic matter of where you stand in relation to 4.0; if it were, admissions committees would be obsolete and college would be full of uninteresting people. Even GPA itself is subjective to some extent – a lower GPA with a more challenging course load would likely be looked upon more favorably than a higher GPA with fluff classes. Trends, too, can be a deciding factor. Your upward trend can only work in your favor.</p>

<p>My advice is to be candid about your past performance and to highlight recent improvements (in outlook, performance, etc.) humbly and sincerely in your admissions essay. Your grades speak for themselves and cannot be changed, but the essay gives you a chance to provide a human narrative behind the impersonal figures on your transcripts. I think your story is very compelling; few people have gone through what you have endured, and your passion and perseverance are apparent. Capitalize on that and remember that some students get turned away with enviably high GPAs and others are accepted with cringe-worthy GPAs. Don’t let yourself be discouraged from applying.</p>

<p>I feel less qualified to answer the rest of your questions, but I’ll advise anyway in a dizzying staccato of verbal diarrhea. Keep in mind that much of this is most likely my personal opinion; take it for what it’s worth (i.e., not much):</p>

<p>I think your GPA is pretty competitive (for an idea of what is considered competitive, take a look at the transfer threads from the last couple years).</p>

<p>My personal opinion on the ACT is that it can neither hurt nor hinder you. The purpose of the ACT is to serve as an indicator for students’ ability to perform at a college level. At this point, your grades in college already speak toward your aptitude for success (especially your most recent grades); taking the ACT may be a waste of time and money. A possible caveat could be scores at extreme ends of the spectrum – very high scores may help tip the scales favorably while low scores may send a red flag about a student’s ability to succeed. Again, this is all mere speculation. </p>

<p>I honestly have no idea on the HD program or the climate for LGBT students. Hopefully, someone else here has more insight than I do.</p>

<p>In my very humble, admittedly uninformed opinion, you have a very good shot at getting in. I wish you the best of luck and hope to see you on campus next spring!</p>

<p>@SamOVar, </p>

<p>Thank you for typing up that response. It was encouraging, to say the least. </p>

<p>Your story answered my primary question and concern: that it is possible to gain admission, and worth applying, even with an academic record spotted with disruptions. That is what has been weighing on me the most; the fear that the struggles I faced this past year would be the thing that prevented me from getting to where I want to be in life. That an admissions committee would look at my record, and fail to see past the GPA, the Ws, the transfers, and the Cs. It is good to hear that UW uses a holistic admissions process, and are not likely to trash my application at first glance without first looking at the essays, the activities, the LORs, and the like. It is encouraging to see that they did with you. </p>

<p>I had the same intuition on the ACT. I may take it either way, just to see what I get, but I would hope that my ability to get As in college courses shows that I am prepared to, well, take college courses. </p>

<p>Thank you again for sharing your story. It gives me hope. </p>

<p>I would be open to hearing other perspectives, as well. I know that my circumstances are a bit specific and unique, but, at >=40 views, someone must have something to offer, no?</p>

<p>Admissions will be interested in your ability to do UW caliber college work, hence the gpa requirement. An upward trend is always encouraging- for entering freshmen as well as transfers. UW wants you to succeed at UW- your gpa shows your ability to complete courses and learn the material presented. Courses you didn’t do as well in may require more work in future courses than if you had learned more. Be prepared to work harder at UW than elsewhere.</p>

<p>I presume you finished HS, not college, at 15. The Midwest Talent Search (through Northwestern) is in this region of the country. Be sure your involvement in HS level gifted programming is part of your application. You will find people like yourself at UW, both in academics and other ways.</p>

<p>Do apply. It sounds like you have the ability to do well at UW. You get admitted to the university as a whole, regardless of proposed major. Many students will change their major once they encounter UW courses. Therefore do not try to game the system by choosing a major you think will get you admitted. Likewise your sexual orientation is a nonissue, it wouldn’t be part of your application. </p>

<p>You may want to contact admissions with any questions about taking the ACT again. Your test scores may be outdated. Or you may have enough college credits it is irrelevant. The best information source is UW, not us- send an email inquiry.</p>

<p>Best wishes for your future. It sounds like your essays will be informative and helpful to admissions. In them you can succinctly explain your past disruptions. Motivation will help.</p>

<p>“Admissions will be interested in your ability to do UW caliber college work, hence the gpa requirement.” </p>

<p>My questions on GPA were asked because, while they state one should have a GPA >=3.0, that still leaves quite a bit of speculation as to what a competitive GPA is. Is 3.0 competitive, or is it the minimum? Is 3.3-3.4 competitive, or is it below/above average? </p>

<p>Likewise, even if my GPA is competitive, my concern is that the long string of Ws and transfers will raise a flag too red to tone down. This is also something I am trying to gauge – how open UW would be to consider mitigating circumstances, and look more strongly at my prior two semesters, as well as the semester I had before my mom died, to judge my abilities, as all of these grades are As and Bs. </p>

<p>The input I am getting is helpful in this regard. </p>

<p>“I presume you finished HS, not college, at 15.” </p>

<p>Correct. I finished HS, and started college, at 15. I will be sure to mention my involvement with JHU’s CTY (the popular program in the Northeast, where I grew up), though it was something I participated in throughout middle and high school, so it won’t be near the top of the list of activities. </p>

<p>“Likewise your sexual orientation is a nonissue, it wouldn’t be part of your application.” </p>

<p>My sexuality and gender identity will be a part of my application, though. Not because I feel the need to throw it in there, but because it is impossible to talk about my ECs, especially in essay format, without mentioning it. For example, the writing piece I will be reading over national radio relates to my experience as an LGBTQ person growing up. I am so involved in LGBTQ advocacy because of the experiences I and those close to me have had. I would hope to bring this passion to UW, both through campus LGBTQ organizations and those in the Madison area.</p>

<p>"You may want to contact admissions with any questions about taking the ACT again. " </p>

<p>I will have at least 50 credits at the time of application, and a little over 60 by the time I matriculate. I do not have to send in ACT/SAT scores, but I was/am wondering if it would be helpful, in light of my record. </p>

<p>“Therefore do not try to game the system by choosing a major you think will get you admitted.” </p>

<p>I did not mean to imply I was attempting to game the system. The more I read about UW, the more of a fit it seems academically and socially. Most colleges do not have a HD major, so I know I can fulfill my educational goals in Psychology, as well – it’s the outside opportunities that make the difference, and UW offers an abundance. It’s good to know that one is admitted to the college, and not just a major, so I will go ahead and apply to HD. </p>

<p>“Motivation will help.”</p>

<p>My passion is what has driven me to push through this past year. I hope that shows through my application. </p>

<p>“Do apply. It sounds like you have the ability to do well at UW.” </p>

<p>Thank you. This is encouraging, and I am feeling more hopeful about my chances at UW, and my ability to move forward as a whole.</p>

<p>Don’t overthink things. Just do the application and see what happens.</p>