Spring break travelers

<p>Just an FYI to those who are flying out for spring break. Due to construction at the airport, all airlines are going out of one terminal and there was only one security lane open this morning. D ended up missing her 6:00 a.m. flight because the line was so long and slow moving. Usually when she takes these early morning flights, the airport is pretty empty. She got there an hour ahead, checked her bag with no problem, but didn’t make it through security in time.</p>

<p>Safe travels, everyone, and leave extra early!!</p>

<p>Thanks for that info, I will pass it along.</p>

<p>A child was killed by a falling sign board at the airport this afternoon! Dreadful.</p>

<p>Very bad accident on interstate near campus this evening. At least three cars and one of them was overturned. Hope everyone has safe traveks</p>

<p>H and I took the train to tuscaloosa and there was a long line of students getting in our train to head north. We really enjoyed the ride hope to do it again one day</p>

<p>We were 30 ft away from the tragedy at the airport today. I am devastated and will never forget the horrible screams. So very sad.</p>

<p>^^^^^ Sniner, I am so sorry this happened to those poor children/mom, and sorry you had to witness it. The victims and you are in my thoughts/prayers.</p>

<p>Oh Sniner, how traumatic. I’m so sorry you went through that. I assumed the airport would have lots of UA people there today.</p>

<p>How very tragic. I am going to hug my DS extra now that he is home safe and sound.</p>

<p>DS is still at Birmingham airport. United Flight was supposed to depart at 2:05PM now 5:30PM. Apparently flights thru Denver are experiencing delays due to poor visability and light snow. Good thing that the Birmingham airport has free WI-FI.</p>

<p>DD and her sorority sister drove from Tuscaloosa to St. Louis on Thursday night…hit snow in the little bit of Arkansas and then the boot heel of Missouri. They then drove to KC yesterday afternoon after spending lunch in CoMo with her bestie from high school who is the starting center fielder for Mizzou softball ( a little bet was made on the April 3rd series in Tuscaloosa). Then onto KC last night where panic ensued when they realized that their chances of flying out of KC to LAX on Sunday morning were nil. Spent the better part of 2 plus hours cajoling and convincing United that the girls need to leave today (yes we had to verify we were under a Winter Weather Advisory) only to find out that there were not two tix on the same plane to any where in California that wasn’t through Denver (and we were so not going there!). finally at 4pm got one on a flight to Houston and then to LA and my DD just arrived in SF and will arrive LA about 30 minutes after her sorority sister. Hmmm…did I mention that our DD #2 who lives in Arlington VA is actually in SF with her boyfriend doing wine tasting and having a brief vacation? How weird that two of my girls who live not anywhere close to each other can actually be in the same city half way across the US from home??
Safe travel to all who are trying to get some place. Seriously wishing Mother Nature would get her issues solved and just move onto Spring…please???</p>

<p>After a night in Denver DS is home although we drove to SFO to pick him up. If we let him fly from SFO his flight to Sacramento would be leaving now. Luggage should arrive around 9PM our time. Hope this doesn’t happen on the way back!</p>

<p>My junior D came home Thursday night for the first time ever for her whole spring break! We were planning a relaxing week of cooking, watching movies and shopping. Unfortunately, I have shingles, so she is having to do a lot on her own and for me! Still enjoying great family time as this is the longest time she will be home until Christmas!</p>

<p>My son left T-Town early Sunday morning and didn’t get home (Richmond Va.) until 15 hours later due to rain, snow, accidents etc. Did I mention it was his first time driving the distance by himself? Boy, was I ever thankful to see him pull into the driveway. So thankful in fact, I can’t sleep and that is why I’m up so early. Enjoy your time with your kids. Like the poster above, I do not want a repeat of this insanity on Sunday when he returns.</p>

<p>Hokiefan, did your son drive straight to Richmond or did he break up his trip by staying overnight somewhere? So far, H and S have shared the 14 hour drive to T-town and back, but son wants to try driving the distance himself. My nerves will take a beating but gotta let him go sometime.</p>

<p>I’m not comfortable with letting my D drive herself from UA to Pa. I know I’ll have to let go sometime, but she’ll probably have to pry my fingers off. I am going to fly down, then drive back at the end of the semester. We do it in 2 days, as I don’t think I could sit in a car that long in one stretch.</p>

<p>sophocles- My son did the drive without overnighting. It is usually a 12 hour drive. He left t-town at 6am central time. But with all the rain and snow and accidents it took him much longer. Plus he was by himself so stopped many times at rest areas to take a ‘rest’. He was cautious for that I am thankful. He could of come home on Friday and overnighted with a friend new Raleigh. But at the last minute wanted to stay in T-Town to cheer on the B-Ball team which played Saturday morning. I was aware of the potential weather problems but we had way more snow here in Virginia than originally forecast. This was his first time making the drive alone.</p>