Spring or Fall??

<p>OK I got admitted to Purdue for Spring 2011 and I was wondering if I can make up for the Fall semester I am missing in the summers?!</p>

<p>Is it better to enter college in Fall than Spring??</p>

<p>Well there are more positives in terms of social life if you attend any college for the Fall semester.</p>

<p>there’s no orientation for spring semester ?</p>

<p>I think there’s a short orientation? Not sure. But starting in spring obviously affects your graduation date. Lots of majors require you to take class in sequential order, starting in the fall semester. Like for my major, you have to take all the classes in order (and they are only offered for either fall semester or spring) otherwise you get off track and will graduate later; I also can’t make up the classes in the summer, because it would still be out of order. Also, some classes you may need are only offered in the fall, so you’d have to wait to take them and that would put you behind also. But if your major doesn’t have classes like that, then it’s not a big deal. Lots of people transfer into Purdue during spring semester, though it’s probably tough to adjust to everything while everyone else is already in the pace of things and have already established relationships/jobs/connections/etc.</p>

<p>Yup, I believe there is a short orientation for them. But smahanru mentioned the classes that can affect people’s graduation date which is very true. If you’re in a major that is quite small then you may have a class that is offered only once during the school year.</p>

<p>Well I am an engineering major, Electrical to be precise, and I take it that the classes would be sufficiently big enough. Would entering in Spring really affect my graduation date?? And what exactly can I do to make sure that I graduate in Fall?</p>

<p>I know that entering in Fall would be more socially sensible.</p>

<p>@smahanru: What are you majoring in? And the fact that ‘you cannot make up the classes in summer’, I hope is specifically for your major! Do you have any idea if there are summer classes for engineering majors (to make up for the fall classes).</p>

<p>@Jimgotkp: EE is a big enough class, so would that mean that I still can make up for the fall sem?</p>

<p>This really depends. If I were you, I would look on myPurdue and see how many sections of each class you have to take are offered each semester. Of course, the number of classes can vary each semester… I’m sure you will be fine… I think the thing that most people are afraid of starting during the Spring is the social aspect imo.</p>

<p>Akshat, you should be fine in EE. I’m in EE myself and I can personally guarantee you won’t have any issues. There are a lot of students who take typical fall classes in the spring and all the core ECE classes are offered every semester. The only classes that are either fall or spring are very specific classes such as ECE 453 (Fundamentals of Nano), ECE 412 (Engineering Optics etc). You’ll have plenty of time your junior and senior year to take those classes if you need to. But bottom line, you’ll have no problems.</p>