Spring Starts at UVM?

Curious if anyone has any outside information regarding a Spring start at UVM? Experience with this personally in the past or was accepted for the Spring semester 2023. Any advice or guidance would be helpful. Thanks!

Do you have guaranteed on-campus housing ?

I have the same question.

My older son just graduated UVM. I don’t have an answer for your question, as he was a Fall admit, but I suggest you join the Parents Facebook page and ask there. I know that a bunch of prospective parents have recently joined.

I personally cannot imagine starting in the Spring (if you can call it Spring, since it is actually January and frigid cold) but plenty of kids do. They do guarantee housing. My son had been offered a Spring admit at a different school which he declined. Best of luck!

My son was admitted for Spring term. I just came across UVM’s site on spring admissions - apparently they started it last year because of the high rise in applications.

Housing & full participation are guaranteed for Spring admit students if they accept by May 1 this year.

That said, I think this may be part of a larger trend to balance classes and particularly housing. I know there are stats out there, but in my experience, a number of students don’t return after Freshman Fall, while upperclassmen often do a semester abroad or in DC, or take a semester off (or aren’t invited back). Two of my family members just graduated from Northeastern, and one was a Fall admit, the other was a Spring - and they’ve balanced it out by having a structured study abroad for their Spring admits with a choice of three cities.

Personally, I’m glad that UVM ISN’T doing that - I’d rather my son do a semester off or study abroad later in his academic career. Still, the spring admit has thrown us for a loop.

Well, it seems like at this point, a spring start is his only option. Doesn’t seem like it will be moved to the fall. Too bad he likes UVM so much.

One of my son’s good friends from home just started at UVM this spring and has done just fine. It’s not maybe what he hoped for, but if your son loves it there, it will be in the rear view mirror before he knows it. Getting a few gen eds out of the way at cc while putting a little spending $ away isn’t the worst way to spend the fall? It goes by in a blink.

We’ve since gotten more information. We accepted the offer, put down the deposit, and he contacted his regional AO. He also contacted the independent college counselor we hired this past fall. First, as the media has been reporting, it has been an insane year for most schools, with record applications, “COVID kids,” (the presumption being that grades were less rigorous their sophomore spring and junior year), and test-optional. Our CC confirmed this, and said our DS was lucky to be admitted to several of his highly ranked schools as it was a highly competitive year everywhere.

DS reiterated to the RAO that UVM was his top choice, he’d accepted the offer, he really wants to start in the fall, and if offered fall, he’d gratefully accept. CC confirmed it was the right approach.

RAO said that Spring admits are the top of the list for fall slots and precede any offers to waitlisted applicants, that he had a very good shot at getting a fall invite, but he should plan for either circumstance.

We’ll see and cross our fingers. If fall doesn’t happen, he doesn’t want to defer to FA23 nor go abroad. He plans to work part time and take two online classes toward his gen eds. With 6cr from APs, the additional credits will mean he stays on target to graduate on time, and will only need to squeeze in 1 additional class over 3.5 years. Cheaper for us as well.

1 Like

My son also trying to move his spring admit to fall. Wrote a letter, updated his stats, etc.

Last night he got an email from UVM that said “Congratulations on your admission as a Spring Start student at UVM! We are so excited that you will be joining our community in January 2023”.

I am thinking that with the timing of the email (May 3) they have evaluated the incoming fall class size and have determined that they will not have room to move him to fall start.

Did anyone else here get that email yesterday?

Received the same email. Admissions told us they move the spring starts before going to the waitlist for the fall. We are thinking that UVM will keep things the way they are until they get a final read on commitments. If there is room in the fall, then they move up the spring starts and offer the waitlist the spring spots. If no spring starts move, then no people off the waitlist.

I think UVM - and a lot of schools - take the first week or two of May to see how many commitments they received by May1st. Some may have waited until the last minute to commit. I think it’s still possible to be moved to the fall, but it is entirely dependent on how many commitments occurred by May 1st. An indicator may be waitlist acceptances from previous years, and I have seen figures as high as 240 and as low as 0. I think last year was 7.

We’re in the same situation with my daughter. She is feeling a little bummed about it but hoping that Spring admits can connect online and they can feel not too alone this fall and especially when they all get to campus.

2 Likes

Yeah, we’ve gotten several. My understanding is that as fall spots open, it’s a lottery for spring admits who are on the fall wish list (not to be confused with the wait list)

But I can’t find anything as to when we’ll hear (or not). I’m considering reaching out to admissions, but it’s only been 2 weeks since the deadline for committing.

I fail to understand why UVM doesn’t keep us up to date. I don’t like Facebook nor use it but I may join the group with an alias account. I really don’t want Meta to know more about me and my kids than they already do.

1 Like

Agreed about Facebook. Ugh.

Seems like fall wish list moves if/when/before the waitlist moves. I have not heard of anyone invited off the UVM waitlist yet, and there is no news from the school that the waitlist is closed. So, I figure there is still a chance.

The only thing I could dig up is a posting from a year or two ago that someone received an offer from the UVM waitlist on May 20th.

Waitlist info from UVM Common Data Set published. Don’t know what kind of year 2022 is.

Year - Enrolled from Waitlist

2009 218
2010 11
2011 572
2012 92
2013 159
2014 175
2015 8
2016 6
2017 0
2018 110
2019 7
2020 134
2021 198

Does anyone know how many students were offered Spring Start? Are they spread across all majors or are there certain majors who frequently offer this?

There are also (fall start) students who graduate one semester early or one semester late, resulting in having one more fall semester (e.g. 5 fall semesters and 4 spring semesters). So having some students start in spring can be an attempt to reduce this enrollment imbalance.

https://www.uvm.edu/oir/enrollment

See link to UVM enrollment data. They put in in a really easy tableau based chart.

There is a very, very consistent ~5% drop in undergrad enrollment every spring term - year after year after year. That’s about 500 students.

If you pick first time, first year students, they enroll about 100 undergrads each spring, and it’s been growing a bit.

I figure that IF they have 200 spots for the fall, then they offer ~100 spring start kids to the fall, then offer 100 waitlist to the fall, then offer 100 waitlist to spring start. Just my thinking, and it’s got to be program specific.

1 Like

Just curious to see if any one was moved, or heard any news.