Spring Transfer

Hi everyone! I’m looking to transfer to GWU in spring 2019 and I am just a little curious about transfer GPAs and everything. So my very first semester of college was rough I am honestly too embarrassed to say what I got but the following semester were all 3.7 or higher with my average excluding that first semester being a 3.8 and including being a 3.58. My high school GPA wasn’t the greatest it was a 3.3 (due to medical reasons) and my ACT was a 29. I have some extra curriculars for example I volunteer once a week with a play therapy group along with tutoring and working part time. The reason I do not have more and along with my rough first semester of college GPA is that during that first semester I was pregnant and now am raising my son on my own because his dad is in the military which is why I am moving to DC actually. GWU would be such an amazing communitity for my family and I to be a part of and one that I would be proud to be a part of. I just want to know what you all think about my chances, thanks so much in advance!

Welcome!

Transfer GPA’s seem to be around 3.4-3.5 on the low end, with even lower sometimes getting in- possibly due to something else on the application that really stands out.

In your case, average GPA isn’t everything, especially with subsequent semesters at a 3.7-3.8. If nothing else, it’s at least worth a try. All you lose-out on is the application fee :slight_smile:

Awesome, thanks so much! I’ve had two semesters with 4.0s so hopefully that’ll stand out also.

They stop caring about your high school performance after around 3-4 semesters; after that point, they just care about your transfer GPA which seems fine to me. A 3.58 is a good transfer GPA…it just falls within the 80 percent curve which is usually something like 3.5-3.75…at least based on what I’ve seen. You need to make sure you clearly articulate why you want to attend George Washington on your essays and you should be fine. Also, a 29 ACT is a fine ACT score for GW. I wouldn’t tread on your high school performance because as I’ve stated after a certain point it’s irrelevant to adcoms. The only thing that matters is that you can perform now, which seems evident in your gpa and current transcripts.