SSAT bad scores

Hello, my test for SSAT is in a week jan 7, I have not done much preparation since I have just started applying for private schools in November. I think I might get low SSAT scores. But I hope me trying my best would be good. Click in my profile to see my stats from my chance me thread. Exeter, Groton, Lawrenceville are the schools that requires SSAT and my top choices because of Harkness, but will my SSAT score affect me, what is the lowest that I could get that could still get me into schools like that. I am quite worried, but if there are any SSAT tips, please drop it down, thank you. Should I take the test again? Although my country doesn’t offer it anymore after this

bad as in mayb 50-80 percentile?

1 Like

There are lots of SSAT-optional schools that use Harkness. At almost every tour my daughter did, the schools all touted their use of Harkness. It would be worth looking into which schools use this method that won’t require a test.

1 Like

70+ isn’t bad IMO. However, Exeter and Groton mostly accepts students on the higher end of the 80+ spectrum.

You seem like a great candidate who would have a lot to add to a school!
My daughter (in 2019) was admitted at many “tippy top” schools (like Andover, Deerfield, etc) with an 80 SSAT. I do think that if you get much lower than that, then it might become an issue.
That said, KNOW THIS: even if you get a 95, the odds are against you, not because of anything you did wrong but just because it’s a very competitive playing field. None of us have read your essays or interviewed you or read what teachers are writing in your recommendations, and honestly I think that is the stuff that matters the most.
If you do want to go to BS then cast a wide net…it’s really the best advice. SO many schools offer what you are probably looking for in a BS (Harkness, close community, rigor, etc). So truly, I would add a few 30% admit schools if you really want to go to BS. (My vote as always is Mercersburg, but there are many great schools out there!).

3 Likes

Did Deerfield require the SSAT back then?

They all did back then. We submitted to 12 schools and got one rejection (Taft) and 2 WL (Groton and middlesex)

2 Likes

Thank you for the responses, I will consider retaking the test, Can a test taken on Feb 6 be submitted? But if I need to take the test I might have to go overseas to take it. Should I consider ISEE since my verbal section is my weakest? With ISEE I could take it in my country in early February. Can I take online ISEE outside of the states and Canada?

Yes, I have applied to other schools as well, you can check my profile I have a thread on “chance me”, do you think if I should try taking ISEE, and is ISEE online available outside US and Canada, because I really consider in retaking the test, but SSAT will no longer be available in my country, can I submit the test taken in Feb or will that be too late?

I have no idea. I think it would be best to contact the schools to which you are applying and ask.

My daughter is taking the SSAT (we are also overseas) on January 7 and her schools are all test-optional, but indicated they would take a test score after January 15 if she wants to submit it.

I think it’s best to ask an AO for this info.

1 Like

Thank you, is ISEE online available outside US and Canada?

You should be able to look that up online.

I have no idea. The SSAT is available at Prometric centers, though. If you have a university nearby, it’s likely there is a Prometric close as well, for students of all ages taking entrance exams of all kinds.

Prometric does not hold just entrance exams, they have licensing exams for professionals as well. Most around here are no where near universities. They are private entities utilized year round for nearly 450 different exams.

For @landscapeeveryday look up the organization that offers the ISEE and see where you can take it. Seems it is a bit absurd and a waste of money to take another test IMO (especially after the deadline and/or fly to a country to take it). It won’t look good that you did not plan for this prior to the Jan 15 or 31 deadline. These schools know that the testing window opens up in August which is basically 6 months. You’ve had more than enough time to get it done and should have had contingency plans should you want to retake because you did not like your scores. They won’t care if you started planning 2 years ago or 1 month ago (or in your case November). If it is past the deadline, don’t waste your time. They won’t want to hear excuses, deadlines are the types of things they expect their students to manage appropriately.

1 Like

I understand that, but I was replying directly to the question posed about entrance exams. As the OP is in a foreign country and we are as well, the Prometric centers might be located in places similar to our country, which is close to universities. I am not sure where in the world the OP is located and have not shared our country either as that might make it too obvious who we are/who my daughter is. But I thought I would share our experience.

3 Likes

I was confused with the comment regarding US/Canada and traveling overseas to take it. I realize OP is not here but I was reading into that he/she wanted to fly here just to take the test because it is not offered in his/her home country. There are a lot of questions throughout the posts and I agree that is best not to disclose where exactly you are located, so it gets a bit confusing.

I still stand behind not wasting money on taking a test that’s scores will not be available by the admission deadline however.

alright

Hi, I might be planning on taking the ISEE after the SSAT, I will submit the SSAT score to Lawrenceville since the admission officers said it would be needed. So good or bad, it is going on my record for Lawrenceville.
For ISEE, I will submit it to the schools that let me send it after J15

Exeter said “We will continue to add test scores to students’ files when they are received. We will not however review a student’s file until all of their required application materials have been received. If you give the test center our school code, we should receive your scores within 10 days after your exam.”
Is that ok if I take it on February 1-10
Groton noted that I will be taking my test in February.

1 Like

BTW my SSAT is tomorrow, I am doing tons of practice papers today. I will update on the estimated marks, bcuz rn its pretty bad at 58-60 percentile :frowning: