SSAT bad scores

My daughter probably skipped about 1/2 the math questions, but she’s only in pre-Algebra, so she hasn’t seen a lot of the material before. We told her it was better to skip than to guess and be wrong. She’s aiming for a 50% on the math and has been scoring in the 90+ range for her practice tests for both verbal and reading, so hopefully that averages out to an 80+ overall and she can submit to a few of her schools.

2 Likes

Are there any test books for ISEE you would suggest to get from amazon @rac5 @ahala2000 @lilyesh @VisibleName2 @Calliemomofgirls

I took the SSAT. I know Test Innovators has a lot of stuff but I’m not sure how good their ISEE material is.

I heard it was expensive…

1 Like

Did you get your scores back today? I didn’t yet

I think my daughter had the Princeton review book? I don’t know that I really “recommend” it other than the fact that Princeton review is solid test prep company. (and, as you know, I would probably suggest my kid go test optional anyway in this situation if the SSATs are low enough to warrant retaking – I think the reality is that the amount of work that would need to happen over the next week or two to get the score being sought might be too much a shot in the dark. There are SO many fantastic schools that are test optional.)

2 Likes

As expected I got 29 percentile which is sSUPPPER LOW for Lawrenceville and I have asked that I could not take it now to submit for Lawrenceville. Should I send them an email that it would not be submitted or? @RoonilWazlib99 @rac5 @lilyesh @Calliemomofgirls @BSClass27 @Pharmingturtles

a 29th! I would highly advise you don’t submit it then. It wont help you so better not include it.

2 Likes

it is required…what do i tell the school?

ill take isee for exeter and groton…IMGONNA START RN

2 Likes

SSAT scores in: Daughter applying to all the top ranked schools. Need to send to those that require them. Debating if should send to optional schools: 95% overall; 92% verbal; 94% quant; 93% reading - the writing piece was NOT good, nor reflective of her writing. If we call the schools to ask - will they tell us just to send them because they just want them, or will they counsel in her best interest. And is it better to send these or not? Her other application pieces we believe are very strong. Thank you

1 Like

send them

2 Likes

If schools are test optional they will tell you it’s your choice.

Are you really asking if a 95% is a good enough score to send or are you only worried about the writing? It’s my impression that the writing portion is not heavily considered but I suppose you can ask the schools. AOs are not going to be super receptive to “my kid is a great writer but did poorly on the test” concept.

4 Likes

I guess is the score good enough that it is worth enhancing the application, knowing that the writing is not great. Also is it seen as a 95% or as low 90s for each section

1 Like

I’m not understanding anyone here. If scores are required then you need to send them. End of story. If you don’t, then your application is incomplete and won’t be looked at. You don’t get a special “pass”. If you wait to take another test (after the deadline) and what if those scores aren’t good? Then decide what you will submit and maybe decide that the ones you took before the deadline are better. Do you really want the school questioning why you didn’t get test scores taken before the deadline submitted on time? Do you really want your application sitting in the incomplete pile where at some point it will be disregarded until they go through the completed applications? There is a deadline. They will give you SOME grace but they aren’t going to give you all the time in the world past the deadline to get you materials in. You risk your app moving from the “incomplete” to only the “completed after the deadline” pile if you take your sweet time getting your application finished which includes sending all required materials. Do you really want to take that chance? Applications have been open for 6 months. There is only so much time they will wait for late materials. They have thousands of applications that managed to get there on time to consider first.

1 Like

The score is good enough to send. They look at both the overall % and the individual section %.

The score is good enough to send. They look at both the overall % and the individual section %.

@one1ofeach I don’t think you meant to reply to me. Possibly the post with the writing sample question?

1 Like

Yes, you should send the 95%.

1 Like

I don’t understand. The score is required. You have the score. You want to tell the school that you think the score is too bad to send? Lie and say you didn’t take it and have an incomplete application? Are there immediate open test dates near you? Perhaps you can take again and send a second score too.

I am sure the school has seen similar schools before. Scores are viewed in context of your application as a whole.

1 Like

i sent out the ssat for lawrenceville :+1:

1 Like