SSAT vocab

Hi, last year I took the ssat test and I scored very badly on reading and vocab. This year I am planning to retake it but I am completely confused on how and where people memorise the words for vocabs. I am also confused on what book people use to ace the reading section.

For people who score high on the test, what quizlet flashcard or list of words did you use and what book did you use to prepare for the reading test?

We didn’t use it, but the following book recommend to us by experienced tutors:

504 Essential Words for SSAT & ISEE (Upper): With Roots/Synonyms/Antonyms/Usage and more… by J. Jonathan (available on amazon).

1 Like

Thanks . 25 minutes for writing section seems very short. Sometimes typos creep in because of limited time. Can you test takers share your experiences.

Focusing on learning roots can help immensely on the vocab sections. Being able to discern positive and negative words as well as endings to indicate parts of speech are all useful tools.

1 Like

Typos don’t really matter, perfect typing isn’t what the schools are looking for. They are looking for how you write. What you say.

(It goes without saying that if the typos make the essay indecipherable, that might be a problem. Otherwise don’t worry about them).

3 Likes

is there any good quizlet flashcard set though? I don’t really have enough time to make a 500 words flashcard.

Thank you . That helps a lot.

1 Like

With everything being said on the essay topic I would add this: don’t give the schools an excuse to not accept your kid. The writing prompt is incredibly important because it’s the only piece of writing the school knows is completely their own. The Exeter head of admissions us at a local meet and greet event: The most important part of the SSAT for Exeter is the writing prompt. Please spend time on it.
You should take him at his word. For every applicant that is sloppy when it comes to little things, there are as many applicants that aren’t. It’s an incredibly competitive landscape. I would not leave anything on the table. Do your best in every way, including leaving yourself time to correct any mistakes, big or small.
The good news is you can take the SSAT over and over (not like the ISEE that you can only take it twice in an admissions cycle). There’s no rush to take test, because you don’t have to choose which score to send when you take it. You can send a score at any time. So why not take the pressure off a little bit and have your kiddo take it a few times and see how he does. Take a step back, practice some more, and take it again. Then assess which scores/essays are the best and only send that test score. You have until Jan 15. Just my 2¢. Good luck!

2 Likes

I read voraciously for several years, so my vocabulary built up naturally.

1 Like

what time do they release the results of SSAT taken at home?

1 Like

I believe around two weeks after you take it?

1 Like

Thank you

Also the vocab on the actual test is much easier from the Test Innovators or SSAT sample material. My DS scored better on actual than both of those tests in verbal/reading. Read the Test innovators top 300 words and my DS made a list of all words he missed during practice tests and it helped him a lot

Weds after you take it (unless something changed).

1 Like

Thanks. We got it today. I wanted to know the time. Its 9 EST. AP results come at midnight and hence the question

I don’t think it is exactly the same time of day each time…but I could be wrong.

1 Like

Oh ok, thanks! Did your DS practice the analogy section or did it come naturally just from the test innovator words?

Is the online ssat only available in the us or did you take it internationally?

DS took it in the US. I don’t know if it is available internationally. He did practice on the Testinnovators analogy. But TI is significant tougher than the actual SSAT he said. But the vocabulary that DS gained from doing them helped immensely.
Closest to real test are the 4 SSAT practice tests .

1 Like

I am not asking you to reveal the actual score. But I do want to chime in to say that many kids come here with scores in the 80th percentile range who believe they “scored very badly.” If that’s you, you did not score very badly. If you’re gunning for the very tippy top schools, might it be nice to be up closer to the school average? Sure, maybe? But kids do get admitted with scores below the average. That’s just the math :wink:

1 Like