St Andrew's School, Delaware

<p>We did have issues with dropped calls by AT&T but being a consumer terrorist I ended up paying half the school year phone bill. This year he is in a different dorm and there have been no dropped calls. For exam week a group of his friends got together in a classroom and studied, no one told them to do this. Said it was the best study group ever and will be doing it more often. They want to do well but not in spite of their peers. Some faculty do all three being teach, coach, and dorm parent, it’s those young ones. But how is that a threat? The student faculty relationship is phenomenal. It is not students versus the faculty,maybe with a video game with one of those young ones!</p>

<p>I think the term "triple threat’ comes from the musical theater world, referring to someone who can do all three skills extremely well: sing, dance and act. Most are really good at one, maybe two of these, but someone who excels at all three is relatively rare and in high demand.</p>

<p>Right you are, mountainhiker. The term is used at the JBS by everyone, but in a humorous, rather than ominous, way. It is not meant as a ‘threat’ per se; it’s just a common way of referring to the faculty that wear 3 hats.</p>

<p>FWIW, I see the lack of internet in the dorm rooms as a big plus.</p>

<p>re: Triple Threats. These days, it has come to mean act, produce/write, direct.</p>

<p>Wait
 is SAS the only “top school” that doesn’t have internet access in dorm rooms?</p>

<p>Squash News
</p>

<p>[St</a>. Andrew’s School: News » Detail](<a href=“http://www.standrews-de.org/news/detail.aspx?pageaction=ViewSinglePublic&LinkID=754&ModuleID=22&NEWSPID=1]St”>http://www.standrews-de.org/news/detail.aspx?pageaction=ViewSinglePublic&LinkID=754&ModuleID=22&NEWSPID=1)</p>

<p>Thanks everyone for the responses.</p>

<p>As an update we just visited Westtown, yesterday. My son, of course, fell in love with the campus.</p>

<p>I had the “frank conversation” with their admissions and it was explained that homeschoolers are growing more common, but they do add a little extra burden to the admission process. </p>

<p>She did, however, comment that our application was probably one of the more comprehensive and impressive she has seen of any not apps just homeschoolers. We sent an academic portfolio sampling his work in all subject areas and many letters of recommendation; I answered all the standard application information as accurately as I was able; and his final SSAT ended up being 2262. Though, I didn’t feel we had gone above and beyond in any sense, so I was surprised by this comment.</p>

<p>She was aware that he had applied to SAS, also. In her general remarks, she stated that Westtown and in her perception most boarding schools, SAS included, are experiencing smaller numbers of applicants this year, which in turn reduces the competition per applicant. She unofficially assured his acceptance there and acknowledging SAS as a more competitive school felt that he was highly likely to receive a similar response based on her knowledge .</p>

1 Like

<p>“most boarding schools
are experiencing smaller numbers of applicants this year”</p>

<p>ugh, i wish! PA and SPS are up 15% in applications. i wish SAS would give fin aid to internationals, it looks like a phenomenal school :(</p>

<p>Really disappointed
 I got wait listed!</p>

<p>Anyone know how many students SAS took off the waiting list last year?</p>

<p>Daughter was admitted. Planning to go to one of the revisit days (still juggling schedules
)</p>

<p>how hard is it to make friends if you are coming in as a sophmore, junior or senior? i understand that sas is known as the school with “genuine” and nice people
 are they TRULY that way, and is it really that easy to make friends>?</p>

<p>I got into SAS this year as an incoming 10th grader, and I am very excited. Although I would be considerably far away from home, my cousins, who I am very close with, live about 3 hrs away. What are SAS’s polocies about leaving on the weekends to visit family?</p>

<p>SAS has, from what I hear, received more apps this year than any previous year; I don’t know where the news of reduction in apps comes from.
Re the waitlist, I believe normally a few spots open up, but I think there have been few/none opening up over the last two years because of the phenomenal increase in yield.
@hatedecisions SAS allows people to go home a few weekends a year (I believe it’s two/semester). Most people stay here on the weekends, though – there’s normally a lot going on.
@teddy It’s easy to settle in as a new sophomore or junior (SAS doesn’t take new seniors) – people are really friendly and nice, and the seniors on your dorm can really help with this. You’ll meet people all the time – through classes and teams, on dorm, in the dining hall – and as long as you’re willing to reach out a little bit, you will settle-in in no time. The school administration/faculty/headmaster care a LOT about SAS’ sense of community, and will go to all extents to make sure that everyone feels at home; the number of meetings the headmaster/faculty holds to discuss this issue and their overwhelming concern for the community never fails to amaze me.
The people are truly nice and friendly and genuine. While some people are friendlier than others, I can’t think of a single person at SAS who isn’t “nice.” As cliched as it sounds, the people are really what make SAS what it is; I’ve seen enough schools to know what “community” means, and SAS is truly magical.</p>

<p>Tad Roach letters
</p>

<p>Yesterday, two letters from SAS Headmaster Tad Roach came in the mail. One for my daughter and one for my wife and I. While I know that they are form letters, sent to all admitted applicants & parents, the sentiments contained in the letters further underscores what I’ve felt about Mr. Roach’s leadership and SAS all along.</p>

<p>Regardless of what happens come April 10th, I will always be a fan and advocate of this all-boarding school in Middletown, Delaware. I encourage all parents and students of future applicant classes to take a closer look.</p>

<p>We plan on attending first revisit day.</p>

<p>Any news on the SAS waiting list?</p>

<p>Anyone going to revisit tomorrow? (March 29)</p>

<p>@SevenDad, you sound like you have your mind made up already that 7daughter will attend SPS
do I have it wrong? If you choose SPS over SAS, I hope you will circle back and tell us more of what went into the decision making to make SPS a better “fit” for the enumerated one.</p>

<p>@rbgg: See my post above re: Tad Roach welcome letters. Our family feels that his vision for SAS is fairly unique, in a very good way.</p>

<p>We are still undecided (and enthusiastic about about both schools) and are set to attend revisits at both in the next week. I’ll share the final decision and the “whys” after April 10, if not publicly then at least via PM with you
</p>

<p>Good luck. Campus vibe and how your daughter responds at each campus will be great clues. My husband took our D to the revisits and I think it made him feel so much more comfortable once he’d been on the campuses and talked to staff and got a sense of atmosphere and climate beyond the viewbooks.</p>

<p>Have fun!</p>