St Olaf vs Gustavus vs Macalester

My junior is beginning his search. We visited these 3 this past weekend. He liked things about each one. He does want a balanced experience with some fun and sense of community. Good academics but not crazy intense. Any experience with these 3?

1 Like

I’d say that St. Olaf definitely fits that description as long as he is okay with the location.

Do a search of St Olaf on here and you will get some very detailed write ups that I think are pretty accurate. I just checked and there are pages of them. St. Olaf is one of those hidden gems that everyone loves, but somehow no one knows about

Here was our impression after visiting:
S23 is only interested in large flagships, but we stopped on our way from UMN to Iowa State. It definitely wasn’t the right school for him, for many factors that had nothing to do with how great the school was, but he absolutely loved their honor system (not academic honors but personal honesty) in everything from the bike and mug share to kids leaving their belongings outside of the dining hall. S23 goes to a New England boarding school and his take away was "this is exactly what I pictured and hoped boarding school would be like ". I guess it kind of fit both the aesthetic and academic stereotype of a cozy little enclave. It was also the only school S23 could imagine himself continuing his sport(s).

They have a well-known study abroad program and a high percentage of international students.

3 Likes

Thank you!! I will search the past posts.

1 Like

All 3 schools will provide a high quality education. I went to medical school with graduates of all 3, and all were well prepared.

Gustavus attracts mainly students from MN with a few from neighboring states, not a lot from elsewhere in the country. It has a good regional reputation.

St. Olaf is increasingly gaining national attention. Starting to attract some kids from California etc. A College That Changes Lives (CTCL) school. Standout departments are Biology, Math and Music. Just announced a new president. Allows cross registration at Carleton. Gorgeous campus. Great food.

Macalester has a bigger national reputation than either of the other 2, attracting some kids from both coasts and internationally. Located in a fun urban neighborhood. Quirky vibe, very liberal. Standout departments include Poly Sci, with lots of internship opportunities at the nearby state capitol.

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your input!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.