STAMPS semifinalists

Have Stamps semifinalists been notified? My daughter can see that all the materials were received in the school’s portal, and the website says semifinalists were to be notified mid December. We are nee to this, should we assume they don’t notify applicants if they made the next round and assume that she didn’t if we heard nothing in December?

Which school? Stamps are offered at a number of partnership schools and the timeline is different for each.

1 Like

I’d rather not be that specific, thanks for your response though. It makes sense that they each have their own timelines and processes since the individual schools award the scholarships. We are going to operate/plan under the assumption that no news means she didn’t get to the next level (based on the timeline on the school’s website).

I know University of Oregon sent an email to all applicants on December 17 indicating whether they advanced or not. (36 out of over 1,100 applicants were selected for the interview round.) The notice did not show up on student portals, I don’t think.

I don’t know about other schools, but you might follow up to make sure an email was not missed or went to spam.

Wow! I though UO was a little less competitive, but I guess not. The Stamps gets harder every year everywhere.

1 Like

I know that 90 of 800 applicants got the 1st zoom interview for the Stamps at the University of Pittsburgh. In mid January they will announce who the 30 are who will continue on to the 2nd round.

hi! i was wondering where you got the stats about how many people applied for UO stamps

It was in the email informing my daughter she was not selected as one of the 36 semifinalists.

1 Like

Great news - my D22 made it as a semi-finalist for the Pitt Stamps and Nordenberg Scholarships Interview Day! There are 34 semi finalists, not 30. She will now go to campus for in person interview, etc. She’s super excited and she loves Pitt even without this opportunity, so it’s really wonderful she can continue on. For the Stamps, Pitt will select finalists that will then be interviewed by the Stamps Foundation who will select the 5 recipients. I am not sure if the Nordenberg Scholars will have a 3rd round or not. That is a Pitt specific scholarship.

5 Likes

Pitt will select 5 finalists who unless red flagged will be confirmed by Stamps. Good luck to your DD!

2 Likes

Thank you for this information. Have you or your child been through the process? I’m extremely impressed with how this has been run so far, with what is available at Pitt, and with the details of what the scholarships are. My daughter is excited and motivated to prepare.

Not at Pitt. But my DD won 2 Stamps and the Stamps part of the process is the same at all schools. It’s basically a formality. They like to know their scholars so that is what the interview is for - very laid back.

2 Likes

D22 a semi-finalist at University of Oregon. She interviewed there yesterday — an amazing experience. They held a celebratory reception and said nearly 1,200 applicants, 36 semi-finalists. Michael Schill, UO’s president spoke and they announced all the semi-finalists would receive an additional $9,000 per year for merit — meaning in-state kids now awarded Presidential Scholarships and OOS kids receive the Prestige Scholarship (I don’t see this on their website but it’s $19,000 per year). They read the bios of all the semi-finalists and all were so impressive. UO did a wonderful job at the event and continues to impress! Edit: they told her decisions on finalists would be coming out in the next couple of weeks.

3 Likes

Congratulations :clap: :confetti_ball: Really sounds like it was a great reception for them. We’re all of the semifinalists there on the same day? So great they surprised with merit for getting this far. @itsgettingreal21 , is it typical for semifinalists in general to be awarded something for making it this far?

1 Like

UO held a large Scholar Recognition day for all admitted high stats kids on Friday with tours, breakout sessions etc. Hundreds of kids there so very lively. UO paid for Stamps semi-finalists and their families to stay in a really nice hotel across the street and all 36 interviews conducted on Saturday. People from all over the country flew in. One panel interviewed in-state applicants and another interviewed OOS. Interviews only 20 minutes but they covered a lot of territory.

2 Likes

Interesting, as Pitt’s Stamps application is only available to PA students

Each school’s Stamps award and process for selecting scholars is different.

1 Like

D a Stamps finalist for University of Oregon! She’ll be setting up a Zoom call with the Stamps Foundation. She had a wonderful time interviewing at UO. I’ve heard that this phase is more of a getting to know you call and the finalists are usually chosen to be scholars. Is that correct @itsgettingreal21?
Are the national Stamps activities — conference, etc. active again? I know things were canceled because of COVID.

3 Likes

Congrats to your D!!! Yes, it’s just a getting to know you Interview after which the school will notify you she’s a scholar. I don’t think the national conference is back in person. They had some virtual event last year instead. The community service activities should still be happening as those are local/regional. All the school activities will just depend on the school.

2 Likes

Congratulations! My girl has her in person interview day at Pitt in mid February. Really amazing!

2 Likes