Standing out in the IB Program

With the notorious junior year approaching, I am struggling to plan how I will be able to balance out my extracurriculars with the more difficult course load. As a rising IB junior aspiring for top colleges, I have strived to pursue ECs that are both meaningful to me and demonstrate initiative and leadership. I’m actually most looking forward to my CAS project but I worry academics will not allow me to devote as much time to it as I would like to. I know that I will have to really sell my ECs and essays in my app, considering there is a strong chance of GPA dropping next year and I’m still not sure how I will fare on the SAT test (taking it in October).

Any advice on how to really excel in junior year? Ways I can use my IB experiences to stand out? How much time can I afford to make for my CAS project? Any offered “IB hacks” would be very much appreciated.

Stanford would be the ultimate dream but I’m trying not to get my hopes up due to the <5% acceptance rate…also really interested in Duke, Hopkins, Brown, and UVA (in-state).

Thanks in advance for suggestions, comments, and advice. I appreciate your time !

The only IB hack I can share from my kids’ experience is that good time management is crucial. Don’t put off assignments, especially long-term ones.

If you can, take one-year IB courses in your junior year at the SL level to get some of you IAs and exams finished before senior year. CAS isn’t viewed as a big time commitment at my school; our coordinator has presented it as being more about the quality of your reflection than the time put into the activity. Some of your extracurriculars (community service, a marathon you do independently, an art project not with a class) can go toward CAS.

I know UVA regards the IB program highly, and the other schools you are interested in should as well. Just do your best, use IB study guides, see your teachers for any help you need, and you should be fine. It’s okay if you decide it isn’t for you later, but give it a try.

Try to make sure your ECs fulfill CAS requirements!

Most high achieving students take lots of high level classes (APs which correspond to IBs in a university’s eyes), but doing meaningful CAS activities and writing a good (maybe even publish your) EE will help you stand out.