Stanford University Early Action for Fall 2023 Admission

Indeed. Mine got rejected as well. Onwards and upwards …

2 Likes

Rejected! Onwards and Upwards. About to go fluff up & update the remaining RD apps because it’s BRUTAL out here this year!

1 Like

Hi! Yes! That’s the only option apparently if you want your Music stuff reviewed. I think it has to do with them sending your portfolio to the Music professors for review and they need time. Same with Yale!! You never know unless you ask!

ETA: In fact,we asked a Yale Admissions Person at an in-person event in DC specifically about this question too.

Also, it is a very important exemption for Music students. At USC, you can’t do EA because of the audition timing and schedule. There are different rules for BMA and music supp applicants.

2 Likes

Parents
How many of your kids applied REA and EA elsewhere? If so to which schools? How about USC?

3 Likes

None. I thought they could only do Stanford……RD for any other apps.

2 Likes

Yes…kiddo applied REA at the Tree and EA at a number of the “public ivies,” state flagship, a couple of state schools with excellent programs in the major of choice, and another school with a good program in the expected major, is part of a large state system, and during the tour looked like the most fun university ever(happy kids, warm environment, school spirit, etc.), USC was not on the list.

Since EA at these state schools is non-binding the Tree allows students to apply. I don’t think there is too much of an admissions boost but there is some for some of the schools. The worst part is we won’t hear from any of them until mid-late Jan.

4 Likes

That we did too. But somehow folks are using this rule
https://www.reddit.com/r/ApplyingToCollege/comments/mo3sxs/stanford_website_says_for_rea_you_can_apply_to_a/

to apply to USC as well. Which did not sound right.

4 Likes

That is not correct info. SCEA is single choice early action. It means you can only apply to ONE private college during early action. Neither Yale nor Stanford admit students to specific majors. They are admitted to the college and choose a major later. Both school have a “music supplement” or arts portfolio that can be submitted a few weeks before the application deadline to be reviewed by the music department as part of the application process but it is not considered a special scholarship or program.

1 Like

Both Stanford and Yale have early action and regular decision in which a music supplement can be submitted. It is not required to submit it during early action. I am 99% sure with these 2 schools that only one was allowed to be applied to during early action.

3 Likes

this makes total sense to me

3 Likes

I thought you can’t apply to USC since it’s a private school if you apply REA to another school.

USC is not restrictive early action. They don’t care if you apply to other schools. To be considered for merit scholarships at USC you have to apply during early action unless your program of study doesn’t participate in early action (like music). I believe you can still apply single choice early action to the Ivies and USC since there is a deadline for USC merit scholarships but you can’t apply to Stanford and the Ivies during the early action round. Early Action admission offers a timely alternative for would-be Trojans.

1 Like

The caveat here is
“Those early applicants must complete USC’s application process by Nov. 1, and they will receive a decision of acceptance or deferral into the Regular Decision (R.D.) pool by the end of January. They’ll also be considered for USC’s merit scholarships.”

Though you apply as part of EA deadline (Nov 1st) your application is considered for scholarship AND RD (but not EA)

I don’t think you can apply to USC marking it EA on the app if you apply to Yale. Yale does not mention scholarships as one of their exceptions on the website.

2 Likes

So to clarify, are you saying that as long as it got in before NoV 1 to USC and marked RD on the application, they will still consider you for scholarships even if didn’t indicate EA? That would be amazing news if true.

does indicate exactly this and my kid confirmed as well. We missed it this time around.

2 Likes

That’s precisely what we were told by a USC admissions officer at a USC event in my city.

My recommendation is to not rely on the advice you get from Reddit or CC and instead call the school directly and get it from the horse’s mouth. There is a lot of conflicting and incorrect information circulating and misinformation is rampant online.

Don’t let a poster discourage you. Call the school people!

5 Likes

My son got in REA in December 16. We toured for the first time last Friday. He got to ring a little bell at the admission’s office and was given a small bag of swag. He met up with a girl who got in from his school last year, and she showed him her dorm and introduced him to some of her friends. He really liked that the students didn’t seem to be ultra-competitive with each other. He decided not to wait to hear from other schools and committed to Stanford last Saturday.

12 Likes

Congrats on the admission! Were y’all able to do anything special tour wise as an admitted student? I’m another admitted student planning to go visit in a couple weeks and I couldn’t find anything besides the standard tours.

3 Likes

Congrats to you too! We called to see if there was an admitted student tour, and they said there wasn’t at this time…which makes me think at some point they will have special tours for admitted students…but maybe not until after RD?

2 Likes