STAR Questions

<p>I just registered for Star (6/23) And I have a few questions.</p>

<p>Im taking the train in from Jersey with my dad, and the train is scheduled to arrive in Lafayette at 7:32 (plus or minus. Hopefully we get a good tailwind, as long as that applies to trains too, not just planes). I know check in goes from 7-8. If by some chance we get to the campus at say, 8:15ish, will it be a huge issue? There really isn't anything we can do to get there earlier.</p>

<p>Also, to current students, did you arrive with your parents? Or did they drop you off and they did their own thing. I'm coming with just my dad, so I'd fell kind of bad leaving him on his own for 8 hours (ironic, seeing as its supposed to be the other way around, haha).</p>

<p>What happens at STAR? I heard its a presentation and a Tour, but what else is there?</p>

<p>Thank you.</p>

<p>Arriving late is definitely okay. The first thing you’ll do is just “check-in” for the presentation in Elliot Hall, which is a huge place, so it’s okay if you’re a little late, and not much happens anyway. I went my mom (most students go with at least one parent) because I didn’t know my way around at all and I didn’t really want to wander around by myself and be late to things. </p>

<p>The main point of STAR is registering for your classes. You’ll meet with your advisor and you two will discuss your major and what classes you’ll need to take. Then you’ll go to a computer lab to register then you’re officially enrolled in classes at Purdue. After that, you can pretty much do whatever, or leave. But I’m out of state so I kind of didn’t want to waste a trip all the way up here so I got my student ID in the Union and went on another residence hall tour and just got to know campus more.</p>

<p>For out of state students, I am assuming they can schedule their STAR appointment during the Boiler Gold Rush? We’re in Oregon and if our daughter chooses Purdue our next trip out there will be to drop her off.</p>

<p>Actually, no. STAR ends in mid-July (BGR is in August before school). Advisors only allow students to schedule later only if they are international or if you can’t attend any of the STAR dates (there is a different process I think). It’s important to schedule during STAR because you’ll have more options when choosing classes. The later your STAR date, the less classes are open. And if you don’t register at STAR, you’re kind of stuck with the classes that are left and are still open (and classes you need might not even be open). In order to schedule for classes, you have to meet with your advisor, most universities don’t do this, but Purdue requires it.</p>

<p>It’s better to attend STAR ASAP because as dixie03 said you get less choices for your classes. If your son/daughter does it during BGR expect them to have early classes and late classes everyday unless they get lucky. Having class at 7:30AM sounds easy but it really isn’t…</p>

<p>Funny - my daughter CANNOT function at 7:30AM!! Doesn’t one have to accept admission to Purdue before registering for STAR? My D has only heard from Purdue, so we are still in the waiting/deciding “game”.</p>