Start up in the dorm - travel from OR

<p>What can a freshman do when first start up in the dorm? I am referring to buying comforter, hampers, pillows etc. all the big items to get settle when the parents are not going to drive you around and buy all these stuffs? </p>

<p>How is the shuttle/limo service from Chicago airport to Purdue? It drops you off at Union and it is quite a walk to the dorm with all the luggages... sigh! </p>

<p>Any tips or way of making life a little easier and less stress? Anyone help?</p>

<p>-k</p>

<p>hi kjong58,</p>

<p>I also fly out of Portland to Purdue, but I always fly into Indianapolis and then take the Lafayette Limo to campus. I live in Cary, so the Memorial Union stop is closest for me. That being said, it is a bit of a walk…especially in August when it is hot. I wouldn’t recommend walking with more than one large roller suitcase with a carry-on sized roller strapped/balanced on top of it, plus a backpack.</p>

<p>For bulky items (bedding, pillow, comforter/bedspread, refrigerator, microwave), I would order them from sites that have free shipping or low shipping and just have them shipped to your dorm address. It’s cheaper than paying the extra baggage fees that are charged now on most flights. Plan on them arriving one or two days before you do…or the day after (but be sure to pack a bottom and top sheet so you can sleep the first night). Ensure that your dorm address format is absolutely correct to avoid problems. I have done this for the past two years and have never had a problem.</p>

<p>You can also order specific items to the Bed, Bath & Beyond store in Lafayette for pick-up, but you would need transportation to the store and back to campus. Usually, out-of-state freshmen don’t know people with cars, so this option can be a bit risky. During the orientation week (Boiler Gold Rush), the dorms do arrange free shuttles to Target and Meijer (a Fred Meyer-type store), and most items can be purchased then, although the selection isn’t as varied.</p>

<p>Oh, and for a hamper, get one of those collapsible, pop-up kind instead of the hard plastic type. It just makes life easier for moving into/out of the dorms each year and often has a smaller footprint.</p>

<p>Good luck!</p>