Starting a thread for Class of 2023 (Fall 2019 start)

@BorgityBorg- exactly the same situation with my D19. Waiting for the final fin aid offer.

Also waiting for final numbers here. Kid did get notice of acceptance to music program. He has other great options and a couple other music programs are recruiting him pretty hard. So we will see.

@MusakParent did you hear about the FA scholarships? My DS wasn’t applying for the music major. Still waiting for an email.

@TytoAlba I was a music scholarship finalist and I still haven’t heard any info about scholarships or FA, besides the fact that I’m guaranteed the Buntrock scholarship

My kid was invited for music and theater day and has not gotten scholarship info on either. He did get acceptance and a presidential. He got a portal update for music acceptance I think on Tuesday. We have not gotten FA info either. We are not expecting FA but did file the forms. But do need decent merit to make Olaf work. My kid does have stats to be considered for Buntrock.

@banaynay did you get acceptance into the music program via your portal also? How do you know you are guaranteed a Buntrock? Did you get portal notification of that? Just curious about timing and wondering if it’s all going at once or is staged out by dept, etc?

@MusakParent – I think you had to be invited to (and attend) the Buntrock weekends they had last month. I think by definition your child receiving the Presidential scholarship means they’re not getting the Buntrock. Maybe they have additional Buntrocks to award, but I don’t think that’s the way it works

Oh no worries - I knew my kid wasn’t invited to Buntrock day. In fact the music day my kid was at was also Buntrock day. We were on tour with some Buntrock finalists. I’m just hoping he gets more merit or Saint Olaf is not going to work for us. He does want to do music and theater on campus, it made sense for him to be invited for those and I’m sure they want to spread the love around. COA right now is just substantially over the NPC value we got last fall. I don’t care what they want to call any scholarships they might award. :wink:

Hoping for the best for you then, @MusakParent !

@MusakParent Molly Boes Ganza, the head of the music scholarship, emailed me in late January telling me that I was a music scholarship finalist. Just to be clear, I’m a non-music major, just interested in pursuing music in addition to academics. I’m still not sure whether or not I’ll be getting any amount of money for a music scholarship or not.

I found out I was a Buntrock finalist through my portal on February 1st. When I attended the program, they told us all that, since we had attended the on-campus event, all of us there were guaranteed the Buntrock scholarship.

Interesting. My son is a non music major merit finalist for violin. He did attend on campus for fine arts day. We already knew he was accepted and had received a Presidential scholarship. I noticed online that several people were notified last year via letter, not email, regarding music merit awards and the dates on those letters was March 21.

@banaynay did you audition for the music scholarship as a finalist on campus? I ask because my son said very few kids seemed to go to the campus for the FA weekend (he went to the first one in late February). I think there was an option to also send another video but he wanted to also visit his sister there.

@TytoAlba there were not a ton of people there for music day when we were there either the following Friday. I did wonder if they got more for the Saturday dates?

That said, I have heard through the grapevine that Saint Olaf has gotten very aggressive with filtering through prescreens. It’s harder to get an invite to audition. I know some kids who weren’t invited to audition over the last few years I’m pretty surprised about.

Financial Aid notifications came out tonight.

Just received financial aid info and a postcard from St. Olaf. The postcard basically thanked me for my time in going to St. Olaf to participate in the music audition and said I “played nicely” and whatnot. From the postcard and the lack of a music scholarship included in the financial aid, I think it’s safe to say that I didn’t receive any sort of music scholarship. Oh well, St. Olaf is still VERY generous with their financial aid for me: I would only have to pay $8k a year!

@MusakParent My son was there for the Saturday FA event. He said he was the only student to attend the meet the string faculty event (the only one!) but at the same time he got to really have a nice, personal conversation for 30+ minutes with both of them. He said he only saw a few other students the whole day. I hope he will get a music scholarship.

@banaynay It sounds like you got great FA though!

We received a FA email on March 1. Since we did not apply for need based aid it only showed his Presidential scholarship. I am still hoping for a music award. We haven’t gotten a post card or letter. Maybe there is hope?

@banaynay I feel like we’re in the same boat- I haven’t received word about any music scholarships, but I was accepted to the BA program (I applied for the BM), and I’m down to only pay about $11k a year, which is pretty great. I’m committed to Olaf, but maybe they’ll send music scholarships out later on and give me something else to cheer about. Regardless, um yah yah!

My D got a Buntrock and interviewed for a music scholarship. Music didn’t come through. Fin Aid letter only had Buntrock. Wonder if they have a very limited number of music scholarships. Doesn’t matter much in the big scheme of things anyway because they don’t let you stack merit scholarships above 50% of total cost.

My kid’s music letter said music scholarship was very competitive this year. We were also told on music day not to take the amount of music scholarship issued personally. Maybe they had to spread their funds wider. My kid got a pretty good offer from Olaf but a little better from a peer school. My kid also got ba music deferred from bm ( they said direct acceptance was very unusual). But he has been accepted to other BM music programs where he will jump right in with an hour lesson. 30 minutes seems a bit ridiculous to me for a kid hoping to major in music out of the gate. So we think. ? My kid does love Olaf.

@MusakParent did you get an actual letter regarding the scholarship after he auditioned? We’ve heard nothing since the initial email invitation for the FA weekend invitation. You’re right if he’s admitted to BM elsewhere then that’s where I’d lean

@EganAg you’re right about the merit aid restriction. It sounds like @banaynay could not have gotten a music scholarship anyway with his Buntrock and awesome financial aid award.

Oh well. I guess we just wait.

Yes @TytoAlba he did get a letter in the mail but all his scholarship info (3) was also seen in his FA on the portal as well.

It’s hard for me as a parent to be excited about a BA music acceptance when kid has other music programs and even individual teachers rolling out the red carpet in a BM program but he really likes Olaf yet. Olaf doesn’t seem to allow sample lessons either and just assigns teachers. We are still waiting to hear back from one audition and for financials at another. We will see how the next weeks roll out!