Starting in the summer as a freshman

<p>My son is still waiting to be admitted, but has 4 tabs on his portal so we are hopeful. He is interested in starting college this summer instead of in the fall. We contacted admissions and they said that once he is admitted, he can change his request to summer.</p>

<p>Does anyone have experience with this? </p>

<p>Some information about my son:
Political Science Major
Will join the Corps
Won a 4 year ROTC scholarship to A & M</p>

<p>Questions:
1. Once he makes the request online, how does the housing work? Will he be able to stay in the Cadet housing all summer if he takes a course each session? Will he have to move out before school starts in the fall?</p>

<ol>
<li><p>Will he still attend the NSC and the Fish camp like a regular student who starts in the fall?</p></li>
<li><p>Will he receive a list of the courses he needs to take as a freshman and just pick one of those courses for summer? Do they have a specific list for Political Science majors?</p></li>
</ol>

<p>He is really interested in taking his required math course over the summer since that will be the most difficult course for him and he can fully concentrate on it and get it out of the way.</p>

<p>Any information or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks! This is all new to us.</p>

<p>Here’s a link for Political Science majors <a href=“http://politicalscience.tamu.edu/html/undergrad-advising.html”>http://politicalscience.tamu.edu/html/undergrad-advising.html&lt;/a&gt;
You might want to consider a local CC for a math course rather than A&M for several reasons: it is cheaper, classes are less competitive and the grades do not transfer ( just the course credit). MANY students struggle with Math 141 & 142, if math isn’t his ‘thing’ it would be a rough way to start off. </p>

<p>Thanks AGmom! I will give him the link and take a look at it myself. </p>

<p>As far as math goes, the highest score he got on his ACT in math is a 27 Although he’s not horrible, he does have to study to get decent grades. He is currently taking Honors Calculus, but he has to work for his grades in that subject. The CC is a great idea. He is also wondering if he took the CLEP test for Algebra and got a passing score, if that would meet his math requirement.</p>

<p>AGmom- my son would also like to take a class during the summer at a cc. Do you know how an admitted Freshman for the Fall 2014 semester goes about it? Thank you for your help in advance.</p>

<p>Terri338, you just enroll at the CC. To choose a course that will transfer, there is a course equivalency chart. To see what courses you need: go to tamu.edu - then in the search box put in your major & course list. Usually that works. here’s the link for course equivalency <a href=“Texas A&M University - Transfer Course Equivalency System”>Howdy Security Block; After you complete the course you submit a transcript for credit to A&M admissions with their UIN, they will then add it to your transcript. There is also an out of state version for equivalency if you’re OOS ( like we are). Just make sure the course counts on the equivalency list before you enroll & check that there isn’t any request by the department that you take that course at A&M (most lower division can be taken at a CC).</p>

<p>Thank you, AGmom for the very helpful information :)</p>

<p>I am pretty sure that the ROTC scholarship will not pay for him to start college in the summer at TA&M. I could be wrong.</p>

<p>No matter what, he will need to take more than one course during a summer term at TA&M. If ROTC foots the bill, they will insist on a full load. If you foot the bill, don’t waste valuable time (and dorm cost) in College Station just taking one course. So… yes, CC near home is a better choice if he only plans to take a math course.</p>

<p>Thanks NROTCgrad. I agree that the ROTC scholarship will not pay for anything he does in the summer. It’s 4 year tuition, but I doubt it includes any extras. If going in the summer is too expensive, then it definitely won’t be worth it. We have no idea what it would cost. I just think he is eager to get started in college and doesn’t want to wait until the fall. LOL. The CC is a great option. </p>

<p>What do you mean by having 4 tabs? Do you mean step 4 is highlighted?</p>