Stats for engineering?

<p>Since the stats on collegeboard covers all colleges, what do you guys think is required (stats wise) to get into engineering at vtech? Also, does VA tech count ECs?</p>

<p>starwarsfan, This question has been asked before and no one could seem to find a breakdown on stats for the specific College of Engineering students. I was curious and found this snipet of information after searching the VT website. It is for students in 2006-2007, so the numbers may be a bit different from last year's class, but I assume they would be pretty close:</p>

<p>Approximately 7,250 students are enrolled in undergraduate and graduate engineering departments at Virginia Tech. More than 42 percent of the undergraduate students are from out-of-state, primarily from Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York. In the entering 2005-2006 freshman class, the average SAT score for the general engineering student was 1273 and the average high school grade point average was 3.8 on a 4.0 scale. Approximately 19 percent of the entering class are female. Another 15 percent are members of under-represented populations. </p>

<p>Of the 2004-2005 College of Engineering graduates who were employed full-time, (the most recent year for which statistics are known), 90.6 percent were employed in a field related to their major. The average annual salary at the bachelor's level was $50,000. </p>

<p>When my son applied last fall, we were kind of surprised to see how little emphasis is put on ECs. I guess since Tech is a large state school, with 19,000 applications coming in, it would be impossible for the admissions staff to review the extra curriculars. They really don't invite you to have recommendation letters either, with the exception of the one that your guidance counselor fills out. From what we learned on our tour, VT is school that looks at rigor of curriculum, GPA (read A's/B+s), class rank, SAT/ACT scores in that order. Hope this helps! Good luck to you.</p>

<p>Found one more for the 2006-2007 entering class: (the other one was from 2005-2006 entering freshman) Looks like the SAT score average went up two points and the number of females went down three percentage points. GPA of 3.8 remained the same. Interesting stuff.</p>

<p>"Approximately 7,250 students are enrolled in undergraduate and graduate engineering departments at Virginia Tech. More than 42 percent of the undergraduate students are from out-of-state, primarily from Maryland, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York. In the entering 2006-2007 freshman class, the average SAT score for the general engineering student was 1275 and the average high school grade point average was 3.8 on a 4.0 scale. Approximately 16 percent of the entering class are female. Another 15 percent are members of under-represented populations."</p>