Status at UA?

<p>Thought that I would give you all an update about campus and town.</p>

<p>In T Town, the cleanup is progressing much faster than I thought possible. I was happy to see that all the hard work is paying off. Many businesses are reopening soon or have already reopened.</p>

<p>The UA Campus is beautiful as always. Lush and green and filling up fast with students. The dorm rooms that I have seen have all been clean and ready for students to move in. All the halls and common areas look great!</p>

<p>There are 1500 incoming Honor’s Freshmen, which is why the Honor’s BBQ was not feasible this year. There will be two receptions instead.</p>

<p>Tomorrow is Bid Day on campus for sororities. Think I will stroll over to the stadium to watch, let you know how that works out.</p>

<p>The weather has been hot and humid but at least there hasn’t been any rain. Traffic has been fine around campus but most of the streets/parking lots have already been blocked off to traffic tonight in anticipation of tomorrow morning’s move-in. It looks like Sat/Sun will be very busy days. All the local (Tuscaloosa) hotels are fully booked.</p>

<p>Remember to register your Bikes or UA will remove them. This has already started to take place over the summer. Don’t forget to also lock your bikes.
For those who need bike tune-ups or repairs; there is a bike shop at the Rec Center and also one directly behind Bama Bowl.</p>

<p>The SUPE store is open early Saturday at 8am.</p>

<p>Sam’s Club was fully stocked and had plenty of printers with good prices.
Walmart was crowded and the parking lots were fairly full.</p>

<p>Edelweiss Bakery is very nice and has free Wifi. Try the pretzel bread, yum!</p>

<p>Let you know if I think of anything else. Or Questions?</p>

<p>Thanks robotbldmom for the report.</p>

<p>Hope your move-in goes well.</p>

<p>Do you know where the Million Dollar Band practices on campus? I would love for my D to watch the band, if that is allowed.</p>

<p>The Million Dollar Band practices at the field directly below the Arby’s on campus on University Blvd. They were practicing last night (maybe it was too hot during the day).</p>

<p>Thanks, already moved-in, just finishing up all the last minute details.</p>

<p>The MDB practices on Butler Field, on University Blvd and Second Avenue. As you’re coming from campus down University Blvd, you’ll see Moody Music Building on your right. Their parking lot is on the other right-hand corner of University and Second. Butler Field is on the other side of the parking lot. </p>

<p>There’s an Arby’s right by the field, so you could always go grab a drink there, park in their parking lot, and walk up the sidewalk to watch the band for a little bit.</p>

<p>They’ll be on the field rehearsing from 6:00 to 9:30 tonic and tomorrow night. Here’s a link to their schedule: <a href=“http://bands.ua.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/MDB11-Camp-Grid-Winds-1.pdf[/url]”>http://bands.ua.edu/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/MDB11-Camp-Grid-Winds-1.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Talked to D last night, and found out she made the cut to march in the pre-game show as well as the regular show. (some don’t get to march in pre-game.) There are a LOT of piccolo players, so that’s quite an accomplishment for a freshman! A lot of her freshman friends from high school also made the cut for their instruments.</p>

<p>Robotbldmom, yes, that’s been D’s big complaint about band camp: it’s been so hot. But that’s not really much different from here at home 2.5 hours north. Band camp is ALWAYS hot, humid, and miserable.</p>

<p>I can’t wait to go down and see a game so I can see her march.</p>

<p>BAMAmom2Be; Hope your daughter is having fun, the kids looked and sounded really good last night. I am sure that by the first game they will be fantastic.</p>

<p>Congrats on your daughter making the pre-game…</p>

<p>I’m glad to get some feedback on the band. My son is also in the band and has only called us once (Wenesday night) since we dropped him off last Saturday. He says it is hot, intense and everything is great. No news on whether he made pre-game or not. Just that he loves it and his section (mellophones) are great.</p>

<p>I cannot wait to come on parent’s weekend and see him march. Good luck to you.
Does anyone know if there is a place to watch the halftime show online? I know during most football games the halftimes that are broadcast on tv are a bunch of yakky, yak about the game. I want to see the band.</p>

<p>Robotbldmom and BAMAmom2Be: Thank you. I told my D where the MDB would be practicing. I hope she will go to see them. She knows 2 of the band members.</p>

<p>You must be so excited to see them in action. </p>

<p>What does pre-game marching band mean? Where do they march? Is it a parade to the stadium on game day?</p>

<p>I can vouch for how hard the band has been working. Two of my D’s roomies are in MDB, and she has barely seen them this past week. Out early every day for sectionals and then marching until almost 10:00 every night under the lights. Working very hard, but having a blast! Wishing them all good luck!</p>