Staying Organized During Admissions/Acceptance Process

<p>Hello - My D has been accepted to 2 nursing schools, and received an e-mail today about a 3rd (no paper acceptance yet). She has applied to other schools of nursing, too. I'm concerned about keeping track of all these pieces of paper, e-mails, etc. Wondering if there are any tips or advice about staying organized as these acceptances (staying positive!) come in?</p>

<p>It seems that some nursing programs are requiring deposits early in the admissions process. Did your student put a deposit down at each school, to hold their nursing seat? </p>

<p>We are hoping that our D will be able to compare her options from the colleges that accept her, including the merit $. How did the timing of this play out for your student? Does it actually work out that way? </p>

<p>Hope everyone is having a good application and admission season so far!</p>

<p>Thank you for any help!</p>

<p>my daughter applied to 17 nursing schools a few years ago. We had a folder for each one and kept all the folders in one drawer in her desk. As soon as something came in from a school we put it right in the folder. None of them required deposits until 5/1 as far as I remember.</p>

<p>Most nursing schools we dealt with did not require a deposit to hold your spot in a nursing program, but a couple did. </p>

<p>In the case of York College of PA, their 4 year nursing program does fill up circa end of December. If you missed one of those spots, they offered some spots in a 4.5 year long program. If they ran out of room in both nursing programs, you were only accepted as a non-nursing student. Most of the deposit was refundable if you notified them before May 1.</p>

<p>If you are applying for financial aid or merit scholarships, keep a list of the deadlines for each school. A few colleges require that financial aid forms be submitted to them before you are accepted - one had a November deadline. Some colleges automatically consider a student for merit scholarships, while others require a separate application.</p>

<p>I’d write the warnings about the upcoming critical deadlines into the family’s schedules/calendar.</p>

<p>Create an excel spreadsheet for each school with all pertinent data as to cost, scholarships offered, deadlines, geography, demographics, enrollment, etc etc. We had a summary page and used We used a 3 ring binder and sheet protectors for each important piece of info received. Acceptance letters, etc. Applied to about 18 schools. It is now a scrapbook of accomplishments. Always apply EA for early comparison. I would email you a template, and I actually exported the same data for every school easily from college comparison websites. Good luck.</p>

<p>Thank you for the good organizational advice. My D has created the spreadsheet, and we have a big calendar and are putting dates on it. We already had the folders working, so glad to hear that is a good way to do it! I appreciate all the tips.</p>

<p>Make sure you keep a page for all the applicant numbers, log-ins, and passwords to check admissions status, missing items, etc. We kept a single sheet with info from all colleges next to the main family computer. Other kids I know lost this info and waited ages to find out if they were accepted or not. Ugh.</p>