STEM early candidacy MBA

<p>Son (potential freshman 2013)received an e-mail with application link for an early candidacy MBA program.</p>

<p>He has never been interested in business. The program appears to be low key and requires a 1.5 credit course each semester in undergrad. We parents think he should apply as keeping an option open for the future and it seems to have only a small time commitment. </p>

<p>Anyone have experience with this program and can share insight?</p>

<p>My D was in the inaugural class. She’s a sophomore now. Her major is elec. engineering plus the STEM MBA program. I think it has enhanced her experience at Bama. She did her CBH project with a dept. at Bama and now has a job with the same dept. </p>

<p>But you asked about the actual courses. They are 1.5 hours per semester. You go to class, read a cool textbook, meet people from various industries, work on projects with classmates, and have pizza parties (that might only have been one time). My D went on a fieldtrip to Huntsville to meet with folks in industry. UA arranged the transportation, meetings and dinner. Not everyone went since they had to miss half a day of classes. </p>

<p>What is your S going to study at Bama?</p>

<p>@Cuttlefish</p>

<p>He applied as an aero engineering major. </p>

<p>He is very unsure of his actual path, but it would stay in the aero/mechanical engineering with maybe applied math minor. I think his indecisiveness may be exactly why a program like this could be beneficial. Give him various perspectives and show him different paths while staying under the umbrella of subjects he enjoys. </p>

<p>From your response, it really sounds like something he should do. Low key enough that he wouldn’t feel pressure and engaging.</p>

<p>AERO-Eng’G!!! Welcome!</p>

<p>I’m a chemE major premed and I got the email too. I never really was interested, but after receiving the email I’ve thought about it more and more. The idea of having a master’s by 22 (I’m a year ahead in school) is amazing, but will it really help as far as med school admissions?</p>

<p>My S is also in the inaugural class. He is a mechanical engineering major. This is a GREAT opportunity for you. Take it. The commitment is small during your undergraduate years but will pay off big. He is doing a co-op this semester and is able to sit in with the rest of his class via computer from his apt. No credit but it keeps him in line with his regular “group”.</p>

<p>Longhaul: I do think the STEM MBA is a great program. The teachers are very interested in the student’s success. After all, if the students succeed, the teachers look good, the program looks good, and the students benefit. As you can see from SignalMtn’s post , they work with you if you have a co-op. </p>

<p>Congratulations to your son. I am sure he received a great scholarship from Bama. It’s a fabulous place with many opportunities for many, many students. Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Cassidyreilly: I don’t know if the program helps with med school admissions. It does take an additional year after your B.A. or B.S. degree is completed. </p>

<p>Maybe Mom2CollegeKids would have a better answer. Her son is a current senior at Bama and has been accepted to 3 med schools. He has a Chem Engr degree and a killer GPA.</p>

<p>Do they offer any scholarships for the STEM MBA program? If a person holds a presidential scholarship will that carry over to the MBA part of the program?</p>

<p>[Program</a> promotes five-year MBA degree](<a href=“YouA moves from Youtube - The Crimson White”>YouA moves from Youtube - The Crimson White)</p>

<p>This is what I know:</p>

<p>“Due to the entrance requirements, many of the students in the program are on University scholarships. After receiving their undergraduate degrees, students accepted for the fifth and final year of the program will be offered the same scholarship they had upon entering UA, Morgan said.”</p>

<p>WHAT?! Another year of scholarships?! I know the article* says that, but I just can’t believe that. I’m pretty sure that the Pres scholarship is only for 8 semesters. Our paperwork that went with scholarships says as such.
*Article is from the inaugural year, so Sept '11. Perhaps things have changed since for new applicants? Newbies - what does your letter/email invite say exactly, if anything, about this?</p>

<p>You know, I am just not sure about the extra year of scholarship. My D says she was told the same thing it says in the article but I don’t think we personally have it in writing.</p>

<p>My son is hoping to participate in the program. Just a word of caution - I spoke with Dr. Morgan, and he said that for the first time this year, they are expecting more applications than they will have spots for. I’m not exactly sure how they will be deciding who to take, but I am guessing that students should take the “why do you want to participate in the program” part of the application seriously.</p>

<p>I do think that kids should really think about whether this is something they want to do, and not just apply as a lark. Dr. Morgan seemed concerned about taking kids that he knows are committed to the program, as they have had some kids drop out along the way (primarily because they dropped out of STEM majors, but also kids who ended up not liking the business classes). And while the commitment isn’t huge in the first couple of years, the end of the program does require a significant commitment - they are required to attend summer after junior year as well as summer after senior year, so make sure your child would be okay with that.</p>

<p>I think this program is designed for students who are STEM majors but also want to pursue entrepreneurial interests. I doubt it would be helpful to a premed, honestly - just having a degree for the sake of having a degree seems silly to me, if it’s not something you are actually interested in. Just my opinion.</p>

<p>This is the first I am hearing about an extra year of scholarship. If that’s true, it’s awesome!! We are going on the assumption that the fifth year will be on our dime. I have not seen that issue addressed in any of the correspondence we have received. I wonder how the two required summers are handled also.</p>

<p>Lisa - We too assumed the 5th year was on our dime. I also assumed the summers were too.</p>

<p>He doesn’t want to apply “just because” but he also never considered anything to do with business before the e-mail. He is concerned to commit to a path he never considered and knows little about. However, he also admits he has no idea what specifically he wants to do as a career. I just don’t see, aside from the cost, any downside to it. </p>

<p>As a parent, I am just thrilled to see Bama continually creating opportunities for these kids while also meeting the needs of the University. It shows a true thought out plan to grow the University. Much better than some schools in my area that appear to have dumped a lot of money into growth only for profit sake (yeah, I know the schools are non-profit, but you know what I mean).</p>

<p>While, my S, current freshman, isn’t pursuing the STEM MBA, we have considered the University Scholars program to get an MS within 5 years. I <em>know</em> I got something in writing before he started school that said students who participated would be granted their same scholarships. If I hadn’t seen that in writing, I wouldn’t have so strongly encouraged him, so many companies offer tutition reimbursement that I would have told him to get a job and let them pay for the advanced education.</p>

<p>I’m going to have to go home tonight and go through the box of Bama materials to refind that letter.</p>

<p>I totally agree, Longhaul. This program seems like a win-win for both students and the university. It was one of the factors that influenced my S’s decision to come to Bama, actually. He was looking at the combined CS/Business degree at Lehigh also.</p>

<p>Has your S decided on Bama? I think the last I heard he was still undecided. Would love to have another Philly area kid on board. :)</p>

<p>Edit: jrcsmom, if you find the letter I would be very interested to hear what it says.</p>

<p>My son said they discussed in class the article about Bama paying for those kids with scholarships and doesn’t sound they will be doing it. Not sure why that was said in the article if they were not doing it.</p>

<p>Got minimal info from son who contacted the program (Dr Morgan?) – For those in the program, if they score 700 on the GMAT, a scholarship is given to cover the costs of the MBA. </p>

<p>I asked son to look into residency requirements so that if he doesn’t achieve the scores we know the costs (general idea). He didn’t respond to me, which means he believes 1. I’m thinking too far in advance and 2. It will have no bearing on his decision to apply.</p>

<p>@Lisa – Well, DH and DD have been looking at websites for Bama gear, but DS hasn’t signed up for Bama Bound yet. He still has 6 applications to hear from and 2 schools he is in and waiting on decisions for full tuition scholarships. As for me, I only think his highest reach school is worth considering if he gets in (which is very unlikely - it is a tippy top school). The more things we learn about Bama, the more I think it is not just a financial option but a great fit with opportunities he never imagined. DS is still a bit intimidated by the size.</p>

<p>D received the email and will be applying as well. She is a Marine Science/Major and eventually wants to attend Law School, I think the MBA will be beneficial to Law School.</p>

<p>Hi. I love this forum as it provides so much information. Wondering if the emails are sent to the my Bama account email - or student’s application email? Not sure? DS is interested in this program.</p>