STEM Path to the MBA Application

<p>So I was just cruisin’ the UA website earlier today when I stumbled upon the application for this program. My goal after college is basically to start my own business in the engineering field so this pretty much seemed perfect for me. So I just applied to the program. Turns out there is an invitation sent out to people eligible to apply in March.</p>

<p>Luckily, I am admitted to UA and have the Prez Scholarship + $2.5k from the College of Engineering for selecting the Electrical Engineering major, so I guess I do meet the requirements. Does anybody know if jumping the gun like this will impact my chances? This type of program is exactly what I’ve been looking for, and I’d hate to see the opportunity wasted.</p>

<p>For the record, I blame the UA website. Clearly if it wasn’t this sleek and well-designed, I would not have felt the need to explore.</p>

<p>I can’t imagine it will hurt you in any way. If you’re concerned you can call Dr. Morgan, but I don’t think that is necessary. I’m sure you are an excellent candidate and will have no trouble being admitted. I would just check again once you get the invitation in the spring and make sure they have your application and it didn’t get lost in the shuffle.</p>

<p>My son is in the program and is liking it so far.</p>

<p>Dr. Morgan will appreciate your enthusiasm. The program is awesome, you will enjoy it.</p>

<p>Thanks a bunch both of you! I’m looking forward to it.</p>

<p>I’d like some clarification here. My son Fall 2014 is also Pres. Scholarship + Engr $2,500. He is not NMF. This makes him eligible for STEM MBA and does this also make him eligible for the tuition to be paid for year 5?</p>

<p>My son jumped the gun on the MBA Stem Path app over a month ago and he got a acceptance e-mail about a week later from Dr Morgan with a comment that others will be receiving invitations to apply and my son would receive more information at the time. Sometime in March. My son class of 2018 is also in Engineering (Electrical), honors college. All is good. Roll Tide!</p>

<p>77choco…</p>

<p>Here it is…</p>

<p>[The</a> Crimson White | Program promotes five-year MBA degree](<a href=“YouA moves from Youtube - The Crimson White”>YouA moves from Youtube - The Crimson White)</p>

<p>A student gets his same scholarship level for that fifth year. So, if he’s on the Presidential, then he gets his 5th year of tuition free…per Dr. Morgan.</p>

<p>MOM2 - </p>

<p>You are a lifesaver ! I thought I had seen this months ago and was proceeding as such. Then I had several moments of panic today for some reason, and could not find this 5 year scholarship info. Thank you for the clarification!</p>

<p>I really hate to disappoint but… that article is deceiving. My son is in the the first STEM class and he said they have discussed this in class since there are several students with Pres. Scholarship. Dr Morgan has said now that the student must make at least a 700 on the GMAT, which is taken the last semester of their junior year, in order to receive the scholarship for the 5th year.</p>

<p>That’s a 700 out of how much? How difficult is a 700?</p>

<p>Your GMAT exam score reports include all GMAT scores from tests taken in the last five (5) years.</p>

<p>Note: Your Total score is based on your Verbal and Quantitative scores; your Analytical Writing Assessment and Integrated Reasoning scores do not affect the Total score.</p>

<p>Your Total, Verbal, and Quantitative Scores</p>

<p>Total GMAT scores range from 200 to 800; two-thirds of test takers score between 400 and 600.</p>

<p>Verbal and Quantitative scores range from 0 to 60; scores below 9 and above 44 for the Verbal section and below 7 and above 50 for the Quantitative section are rare.</p>

<p>Verbal and Quantitative scores are on a fixed scale and can be compared across all GMAT test administrations, but because they measure different constructs, they cannot be compared to each other.</p>

<p>If you do not finish in the allotted time, your scores will be calculated based upon the number of questions answered as long as you worked on each section. Your score will decrease significantly with each unanswered question.</p>

<p>From a Poets and Quants article:</p>

<p>In the fictional town of Lake Wobegone, the creation of National Public Radio personality Garrison Keillor, all the children are “above-average” because no one can ever admit to being merely average.</p>

<p>In the real world, especially the harshly real and competitive world of getting into a top business school, average doesn’t get you very far. The average score of the Graduate Admission Management Test (GMAT) is about 540 on a scale of 200 to 800.</p>

<p>If you hit that 540 average, you’re not exactly Harvard Business School material. Last year’s entering class at Harvard had a mean GMAT score of 724, which put the typical HBS first year in the 95th percentile of test takers. At 728, Stanford’s average score was even higher. At 722, Yale’s School of Management wasn’t far behind. (See the “Super GMAT Schools” where average scores are in the 85th percentile or above).</p>

<p>Indeed, the average GMAT score for Poets&Quants’ top ten U.S. business schools is a remarkably high 716. And there are now 13 U.S. schools where the average GMAT score is above 700. Of course, the very definition of average means that there are many who score below that number and many who score above it.</p>

<p>SignalMtn… so UA is requiring a 700 GMAT for the MBA 5th year scholarship - the same score, basically, as the top ten U.S. Business schools require (their ‘average’) ? So approx. 93rd percentile or above. That’s serious.</p>

<p>Mom2collegekids - Is this info you posted above current, from Dr. Morgan today? </p>

<p>"A student gets his same scholarship level for that fifth year. So, if he’s on the Presidential, then he gets his 5th year of tuition free…per Dr. Morgan. "</p>

<p>This from the recent national article on the UA MBA program: </p>

<p>According to the review, UA’s MBA program is performing far better on the objective measures than the peer subjective assessments suggest. The Manderson MBA program ranks 58th on the most recent U.S. News list, rising 20 spots from the previous year. However, its peer ranking, based solely on scores given by deans and directors of other business schools, is 93rd.</p>

<p>“For our MBA program to move up 20 spots in the U.S. News rankings is quite an accomplishment,” Culverhouse Dean J. Michael Hardin said. “We just need our peers to take note and understand what we have been doing here at the business school with our undergraduate and graduate programs so that our peer assessment is more aligned with our core ranking. My goal is for Culverhouse to be in the top 25.”</p>

<p>Also of note - recent rankings by U.S. News and World Report lists the Manderson online business graduate program at Culverhouse 12th in the nation. The 2014 Grad Business Rankings show the online master’s in the Culverhouse College of Commerce moved up from 75th last year.</p>

<p>[UA’s</a> MBA #1 Over-Performing Program In Nation – TUSCALOOSA, Ala., Jan. 14, 2014 /PRNewswire-iReach/ --](<a href=“http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/uas-mba-1-over-performing-program-in-nation-240083401.html]UA’s”>http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/uas-mba-1-over-performing-program-in-nation-240083401.html)</p>

<p>It’s hard to believe there would be an expectation of a 700 GMAT with these stats as compared to the top schools, some mentioned above. (Except for the UA online MBA in 12th)</p>

<p>The article in the crimson white posted by earlier by mom2collegekids says students must have a 3.3 GPA and score a 600 on the GMAT. Not sure if the standards have recently changed?</p>

<p>I have sent an email to Dr. Morgan asking for clarification on this. Will certainly post here when I receive a reply.</p>

<p>I have received a reply back this morning (on a weekend!) from Dr. Morgan of the business school clarifying the STEM MBA scholarship: </p>

<p>"Hi Mrs. ***, thanks very much for your note. We began the STEM Path to the MBA program with the incoming class of UA freshmen in Fall 2011. At that time, the Dean of the business school committed to providing scholarships that would cover MBA tuition at UA for students from the STEM Path to the MBA who earned a 700 or better score on the GMAT. That same commitment was made to the classes entering in Fall 2012 and Fall 2013. No scholarship commitment has ever been made to STEM Path to the MBA students earning a 600 GMAT score.</p>

<p>Persons taking the GMAT who score a 700 land in the 89th or 90th percentile, according to GMAC, the organization that provides the GMAT. </p>

<p>I hope this helps!"</p>

<p>77 CHoco…thanks for the clarification directly from the source. I didn’t doubt my son’s info but it is still nice to hear it confirmed, although it is disappointing that the article says something totally different. My son is concerned about when he will have time to study so he can make the 700.</p>

<p>The article in the crimson white posted by earlier by mom2collegekids says students must have a 3.3 GPA and score a 600 on the GMAT. Not sure if the standards have recently changed?</p>

<p>That’s for admission.</p>

<p>For scholarships, you need a 700+</p>