STEM to MBA?

<p>We returned from a successful Bama Bound on Tuesday and my son was super excited about this program.</p>

<p>He’s in Honors and intended major is Chemical Engineering.</p>

<p>He also met with a fraternity and is interested in that too.</p>

<p>I, however, listened very carefully during the Engineering session about starting small and not getting overwhelmed the first semester.</p>

<p>Any advice or added info about the program would be much appreciated.</p>

<p>Are you asking about the STEM path to MBA? It’s a 1.5 hour per semester course. It is interesting but not difficult. </p>

<p>What is your son’s first semester courses? Does he have any AP , CLEP, or dual enrolled credits?</p>

<p>Here is some info: [Manderson</a> - Stem Path To The Mba](<a href=“http://manderson.cba.ua.edu/academics/departments/mba_program/stem_path_to_the_mba#Contacts]Manderson”>http://manderson.cba.ua.edu/academics/departments/mba_program/stem_path_to_the_mba#Contacts)</p>

<p>Considering that the STEM MBA course is only 1.5 credits, adding it likely won’t unnecessarily burden your son’s schedule.</p>

<p>Have him consider taking 13.5 credits (4 3-credit courses and the STEM MBA course) rather than 16.5 credits. Many students who plan on joining take a lighter, though still full-time (12+ credits), schedule their first semester due to the time commitment required to pledge a Greek letter organization or simply to have less stress when adjusting to college life. Students who already have college credit can typically take a lighter first semester schedule while still being able to graduate on time.</p>

<p>Not intending to hijack the thread, although I did have a question regarding the Stem Path to the MBA PRogram. Does anyone have a student interested in or enrolled in the STEM-MBA Program that intends to go to med. school? My son and I recently visited the school and both of us fell in love with it. The program sounded very interesting to him, but wondered if there are any cons to this program for a student who will be seeking to obtain his premed requirements and ultimately off to Med. School…the MBA would be a great asset to have in his hip pocket.</p>

<p>Well, the summer between your junior and senior year you have to take 9 hours of online MBA classes. After you receive your 4 year degree, you enroll full-time in the rest of the classes. Does that interfere with the medical school plans?</p>

<p>Thats what we’re trying to determine…I’ve certainly not gone that route (I’m an Architect) and doing a little due diligence…always a gap year I suppose…soliciting feedback from anyone whose gone this route with a student.</p>

<p>The STEM MBA program is fairly new at Bama. The first cohort are going to be juniors this coming fall. My D is in it and is enjoying the classes.</p>

<p>We visited campus about three weeks ago and I was a little concerned over the apparent lack of knowledge of the program when I posed my usually pointed questions to members of the Honors College, Business School and Arts and Sciences representatives that we met with…now I know…didn’t know it was in its infancy…still, when anything catches my monotonistic son’s attention (haha), I take notice!</p>

<p>@BocaTerp my D is an incoming freshman pre-med student enrolled in the stem MBA program. I have talked to several people who are (or know) doctors that wished they had taken business classes. So applying to this program was a no brainer for her.</p>

<p>It’s also her backup plan if med school doesn’t work out. She loves science and business so this allows her to do both. So far she has enjoyed the summer reading assignment and online discussions.</p>

<p>We also just had the discussion on whether she does the gap year and completes the MBA and then goes to med school. I told her she doesnt need to decide right now, she’s got a couple of years to figure it out.</p>

<p>@Class2017Mom I’d love to keep tabs with you on how your daughter progresses…my son and I had a nice hour long meeting with Dr. Mothersbaugh (Interim Chair of the Business School) and he discussed with us how many doctors fail in their "businesses’ because of their lack of business background.</p>

<p>We have a business venture overseas, and that MBA would also look good for him if he decides he doesn’t want to go the med school route (though he seems to be wired for science) coupled with his recently granted dual citizenship, this looks like a great opportunity to keep as many options open as possible.</p>

<p>We visited the campus about a month ago and both of us absolutely loved everything about it…that coupled with the idea that his stats would land him a Presidential scholarship is really stacking the deck in favor of this being his #1 choice at this time.</p>

<p>Best of luck to you and your daughter…we look forward to hearing of her exploits…</p>