Stereotypical Asian Applicant - Still working on where to apply

In my son’s public high school in NJ, the high performing math kids have had gotten admission to Cornell ED, Brown ED, and GA Tech . While that’s just anecdotal, I think someone with your qualifications would have a higher probability of admission that the standard “excellent stats kid”. I think that Yale REA should be a top consideration, esp. since you are a legacy. The summer programs like Ross etc. are well known . I know of an ORM legacy kid with far less than what you have get into Yale for math.

You have a safety in SBU. Do they have an honor’s college?

Yes, and they have solid programs in CS, and some strong programs in math (i.e Stony Brook Applied Math is #3, ranking higher than Stanford, Harvard, and MIT).

Sure thats fair. I pictured them in my head as a “hard target” (which is a weird rating ik), but I kind of grouped that and target together, which was misleading

Throwing Oxford University into the mix, in case you could picture yourself going abroad.

1 Like

Those rankings are for grad programs. SBU has an excellent math department, no doubt. For an undergrad program, especially if you’re not sure about grad school, you’ll want to look at universities which are targets for companies that like to hire high performing math majors. NYU and UChicago come to mind, in addition to the usual HYPSM etc. , of course. I see that UChicago for ED2 was already mentioned, as was NYU. ( I am a math professor, so I have a fairly good idea of the level of undergrad rigor at these universities. Math topics may be the same everywhere but the level of sophistication at which they’re taught varies widely, especially at the undergrad level.)

2 Likes

As an additional opinion, graduate department rankings can be counterproductive for students researching undergraduate programs.

@Mathlete1 Second that. My son’s background very similar to yours. Just graduated with a four year Masters in Math & CompSci and really enjoyed it. Just started work in London as a quantitative trader at a prop trading firm. Was able to get interviews with all the big players in that space. If that’s a path you see for yourself, I would highly recommend looking at Oxford. Would have to move fast though to get your UCAS in and get registered for the Oxford MAT.

2 Likes

October 15 is the deadline, to be precise. Your intense math focus would appeal there.
And no one cares about Asian stereotypes. Play as much tennis as you like!

1 Like

At Oxbridge, the level of ability needed to get a blue in tennis (representing the university) is by no means beyond a strong US high school player. I had an American friend who was a second team (non-recruited) tennis player at Princeton and he easily got a blue. Of course you can also play for fun in the inter-collegiate competitions, which is how most British people play sports.

Also an option for the OP, if he cares about that, but I was rather referring to the OP’s feeling boxed in by Asian stereotypes prevalent in the US - of which tennis is one.

In the UK, he would just be an desi bloke who plays tennis.

Thanks so much, I’ll keep that in mind.

I will try to apply to Oxford, but being in a different country is something I would try to avoid if necessary. It just adds a whole other level of complexity.

I don’t think applying to university abroad is a good idea if you aren’t really into the idea.

You’d have to at least familiarise yourself with the entrance examination for maths (MAT), probably study for it though I don’t know enough about math level required to hazard a guess about how intensely, find or set up a test center in the US, and familiarise yourself with what tutors expect in interviews (which are much rather like an oral exam).

You might have an unconditional place at an excellent university by January. But it isn’t worth it if you don’t really want to go.

I never recommend going abroad in order to get away from something (in your case, for instance, Asian stereotypes and holistic admission, but frequently it’s tuition costs, too). Wherever you’re going, you have to want to be there. If you are otherwise very happy with the US education system and don’t really want to be in the UK, it’s extra stress in order to be, possibly, rather unhappy.

I’m sure you’ll have great choices in the US.

If you are considering a career in finance after developing your applied math skills, I highly suggest you listen to Edward O. Thorp’s “A Man For All Markets”, read by Mr. Thorp himself and read Gregory Zuckerman’s “The Man Who Solved the Market”. They are the two greatest in the field and entertaining characters to boot.

1 Like

What exactly is the nature of your legacy status at Yale and NYU? Were your parents undergrad students? Or grad students? Unfortunately this difference matters.

Much better chance for acceptance if your parent was undergrad legacy. Masters, PhD or other grad degrees are only a small tip.

You seem to fit well with UChicago. Strongly consider for ED1 or ED2.

OP, do you have a top choice right now or just a group of colleges that are at the top? There’s been some suggestion on SCEA or ED, but if say your top choice is among Stanford, Harvard, MIT or CalTech, then you wouldn’t want to do that of course. I wouldn’t ED anywhere, you’re actually a pretty strong candidate even compared to Asians, and I know a lot of Asians with your profile who do well.

Dad was undergrad Yale, mom was undergrad NYU, and they met at NYU for Grad School.

As of rn I’m not planning on EDing anywhere, but I do want to SCEA Yale to take advantage of legacy, just because my odds at those other schools aren’t too great.

1 Like

UChicago is a great school that I do want to apply to, but I’d need to visit it in-person and check it out before I commit ED1 or ED2. I’m also would prefer not to commit to a school and keep my choices open for now (since there are a few schools I might prefer simply because of the location)

If you do apply to Yale SCEA, their rules do not allow one to also apply EDI anywhere. See complete rules here: Single Choice Early Action for First-Year Applicants | Yale College Undergraduate Admissions